Track Attack

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I've been to twice, first to the two-day course (which I booked before Ford announced the Track Attack) and then the Mach 1 Track Attack with the second day. I had done four HPDE days with my 2015 but being on the Charlotte Roval under the guidance of professionals definitely advanced my driving both trips, even finding what it was like to go past the limit when I put one of their cars into a wall on the last track session (BTW, the restraints work great, and it's worth paying for the limited liability insurance!) To me, it was about bringing my driving closer to what the car is capable of, not necessarily for the track. I drove to Charlotte both times, taking the "long way home" through the Tail of the Dragon the second time. In my opinion, both trips were worth it.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
From what I hear the Track Attack is an awesome experience, that being said you are the only one that can make the decision not to go.
With this event you will learn from the people who know these cars the best, and how to push them and get everything out of them. The other thing is , you are not using your car for this event. You get to learn this stuff with someone else’s ride.
My invite came yesterday and I’m really looking forward to going, granted it’s a 3.5 hour drive for me, so no airline tickets.
My opinion, I think you will regret this down the line if you do not go. Either way, be happy with your decision, and enjoy your Mach.
I think if you had to pay at this event it s about $1600 (plus all your expenses). I drove in so it s a bit cheaper. You would be on a unique track and you run the 2 large banks. If you are very experienced you may get bored but the average sports car owner will have a blast and learn a few things. It s a long day for your wife for sure. She should bring something to read. The ride along will shock you how capable these cars are in the right hands. It s a memory with lots of pictures they take and post up for all too see. Maybe take an extra day and do something else while you are there to make it more fun for your wife too. IMO it was just another car experience I can add to my resume.
Yeah, the idea of using someone else's car was a large part of the draw (and presumably the main reason this event is so crazy expensive compared to your average HPDE), and I thought it would be another nice, unique driving experience for the logbook, too... But I'm not sure it's worth the time and $$$ investment considering my local alternatives.

We would definitely spend an extra day (or two) there, too, to explore Charlotte, where we've never been, buuut... Not like we would have much interest in going otherwise, and that "exploration" is part of what would make the trip so expensive 😂.

It would be cool to learn more about this car from those who are experts on it, but I don't have the handling pack, anyway, and my main track car is still the GT4... Plus, sounds like I wouldn't really be pushing the limits with the lead-follow format (though I understand why they want to do that).

On the bright side, my wife is getting a lil more into cars (thanks F1: Drive to Survive!), so I think she might enjoy the track day even as a spectator who sits in on class time and could go for a ride-along.

But I appreciate yall's thoughts. I'll have to think about it a bit more, but I can't believe I'm leaning towards skipping it now.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I've been to twice, first to the two-day course (which I booked before Ford announced the Track Attack) and then the Mach 1 Track Attack with the second day. I had done four HPDE days with my 2015 but being on the Charlotte Roval under the guidance of professionals definitely advanced my driving both trips, even finding what it was like to go past the limit when I put one of their cars into a wall on the last track session (BTW, the restraints work great, and it's worth paying for the limited liability insurance!) To me, it was about bringing my driving closer to what the car is capable of, not necessarily for the track. I drove to Charlotte both times, taking the "long way home" through the Tail of the Dragon the second time. In my opinion, both trips were worth it.
That might be one way in which the event could be nice... learning from professional drivers. Instructors at my local HPDEs have varying degrees of experience (and proficiency in teaching), and I'm at a level now where I don't even get instructors in my car most of the time. Between that and the slalom course and [I think?] skidpad, there could be some rare learning opportunities.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Looks like Oct 13th-14th was full. I moved my dates back to November 10th and 11th for mine and I'm registered for that one.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Looks like Oct 13th-14th was full. I moved my dates back to November 10th and 11th for mine and I'm registered for that one.
I may see you then, @S550VIN54 are looking at those dates.

Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
That might be one way in which the event could be nice... learning from professional drivers. Instructors at my local HPDEs have varying degrees of experience (and proficiency in teaching), and I'm at a level now where I don't even get instructors in my car most of the time. Between that and the slalom course and [I think?] skidpad, there could be some rare learning opportunities.
Skid control practice wasn't as good as I think it would be on a real skid pad (said recognizing I've done FPRS skid control twice and a real skid pad only once and years ago.) FPRS uses front wheel drive Ford Five Hundreds with automatic transmission equipped with a four-wheel cradle system that lets them lift corners of the car individually to initiate a skid by making that corner (or entire end) light. While that can initiate a skid very well, I'm not sure when they let it come back down so your attempted correction can have the same effect it would have in a real skid or on a skid pad. It is probably a great introduction for those who've never done skid control before. However, It wasn't enough to keep me from putting one of their Mustangs into the wall on the track on Day 2. I corrected the skid as soon as I felt it in my butt, and then is kept rotating and I made a nice straight line into the wall. Admittedly, it was my fourth FPRS day and I was pushing harder than most.
And, bottom line, as the saying goes, YMMV.
View attachment 703867

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I did my Track Attack last November and it was great weather, even a little chilly on the first day when we were standing around between the day one morning activities.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Well, it looks like Im going November 1-3. My wife talked me into the 2 day class. @S550VIN54 , @Zelek , let me know if you guys want to hit those dates.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Well, it looks like Im going November 1-3. My wife talked me into the 2 day class. @S550VIN54 , @Zelek , let me know if you guys want to hit those dates.
Awesome choice for the second day! Be sure to get the insurance if you intend to push your skills at all!

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Awesome choice for the second day! Be sure to get the insurance if you intend to push your skills at all!
Thanks Doug, I remembered our conversation from last year, so yes I have it and the videos for both days.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I will only be doing 1 day and so far those dates for Nov. haven't been released.
They were released today, let me know if you come down to Wilmington anytime soon. I will do the same if I make it up your way.

Tones GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2021 FJG Mach 1
I absolutely loved my Track Attack experience! The whole program was top tier from start to finish. The Instructors were awesome and CMS is an incredible track and venue. Met some very cool people from all over country! This was one of the coolest things i have ever done and can't wait to do it again! Enjoy your experience!
Sponsored