Sponsored

TPMS Sensors and Syncing

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
I've searched all over the forums and I've seen conflicting responses on whether or not the activation tool is needed. Does anyone know for sure? Curious too as to how the car even knows which tire what sensor is installed on. I've seen ebay, tirerack, and tpms.com recommended for the sensors themselves, but why the huge price differences? The ebay ones are the cheapest and claim to be "OEM", but so do the $43 ones from TPMS. Would any of these work on a 2020?

Ebay.com - NEW OEM F2GT-1A189-AB TPMS Sensors ($10.62)
Tirerack.com - Ford Mustang 315Mhz Sensor ($27.00)
TPMS.com - Ford Schrader EZ Sensor ($27.49)
TPMS.com - Ford OEM Schrader Sensor ($42.98)
Sponsored

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I bought new wheels and tires for both my old 2017 GT and current 2020 GT. Both times I used Ford sensors and didn't need the tool, just had to drive for about 15 minutes or so to get them to sync. My F-150 was the same, bought new wheels/tires and Ford sensors and didn't need the tool. The mustang and F-150 use the same sensors.

Doug

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine on Amazon and they wouldn't sync up. Couldn't get them to sync up with the tool, either. Turned out one was bad. Once all 4 were good they worked without the tool. So basically tool not needed.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The tool is rarely if ever needed with Ford sensors. The tool itself is not very expensive on ebay so you can buy it later or just borrow one if it turns out your sensors don’t auto sync. Many will.

I swap wheels like 40x a year and one of my sets is aftermarket and doesn’t auto sync, so the tool gets a lot of use in my garage.

OP
OP
rothrj91

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
Thanks all for the feedback. I decided to go with the Schrader EZ Sensors from TPMS. Seems like they should sync up, but like you said the tool isn't very expensive if I do end up needing it. I'll buy that later if need be. I'll let everyone know here in the next couple weeks how it goes.

Sponsored

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
I have a 17 GT. Installed new factory PP1 take offs on my car. They synced up with no issue. No tool needed.

Recently got new wheels and bought new Ford performance sensors from LMR. They came with the tool. Drove the car maybe 30 feet and they were synced up. Tool not needed. Hopefully your experience is similar.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Looks like the consensus is if you are using Ford sensors, should absolutely not need to tool. Aftermarket sensors, maybe, maybe not, just depends on the sensors.

Doug

OP
OP
rothrj91

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
Looks like the consensus is if you are using Ford sensors, should absolutely not need to tool. Aftermarket sensors, maybe, maybe not, just depends on the sensors.

Doug
That's kind of what it sounds like, but I guess that was part of my question too. Does anyone have a link to the OEM Ford sensors?

Still confusing why the Ford Performance TPMS kits would include the activation tool if they sync right up. I guess there are probably a few cases where it's needed for some reason.

Ford Performance Kit M-1180-A ($365 w/ activation tool)
Ford Performance Kit M-1180-B ($225 w/ activation tool)

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I found out after the fact that OEM sensors would auto sync but purchased this training tool from Amazon and it worked flawlessly.

YAOPEI 8C2Z-1A203-A TPMS Reset Sensor Programming Training Tool for F150 Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Replaces TPMS19

Sponsored

DansFLHTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
While I had my 2016 F-150 I puchased multiple set of dealer take off wheels and tires with factory sensors in them and never had to use a tool.I think the tool was for pre 2015...my 2013 V6 Mustang required the sensor activization/sync with the tool and horn beep.

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
While I had my 2016 F-150 I puchased multiple set of dealer take off wheels and tires with factory sensors in them and never had to use a tool.I think the tool was for pre 2015...my 2013 V6 Mustang required the sensor activization/sync with the tool and horn beep.
Yeah I can confirm, the tool is required on the 2013's. The whole programming sequence is bizarre. I always had to Youtube it. Something must have changed on the 15's.
Sponsored