Toyota GR86 Anyone?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I think the new Toyota (and Subaru BRZ) GR86 looks good. They upped the power, but not enough. But the styling looks much better. The taillights remind me of the Accord coupe a bit.

Toyota-GR86-Hero.jpg
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
While I'd probably never own one, I love that they exist. The world needs more small, lightweight, fun cars.

They'd sell tons more of them if they just had a little more power....

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Mind-boggling that they haven't offered a turbocharged version.
It really isn't. At first, I thought it was shocking too. But if they gave the GR86 more power, it would directly compete with their other offering... the Supra. The GR86 has 230 horsepower. And it is now updated with a new design and current tech features. I think it will sell well. I wish the price was mid 20k instead of upper 20k, almost 30k for the base model.

Sponsored

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think it’s a cool car, I like the digital dash more than Ford’s version. I think it needs more power but I feel that way about every car :sun:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
They drive like a 3rd gen f -body.
You can get the same fun driving, analog feel , not super refined driving enjoyment of the 86, for 20k less, buying a 3rd gen f-body.
Bonus you get a v8 and ease of adding as much power as you like. Down side, none of the infotainment Stuff people have to have today, but that is a 300-1000.00 fix.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, but then you'd have a 3rd-gen F-body. 😜

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
For me, I love the fact that Toyota and Subaru have committed to another generation of the 86 / BRZ.

While the power level doesn't interest me personally, like the Mustang, these cars are a blank canvas for people to play around with.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably will be my next car replacing the FiST for daily driving (assuming I fit in them). I've heard they improved the engine, so I think I could probably enjoy driving one now.

I think they are really ugly from the front, but the rear 3/4 view is acceptable. But there aren't very many light weight manual transmission RWD cars on the market. I really wish Ford could see their way to make something like this. Good fuel economy and fun to drive. Should be everything a person wants, right?

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Probably will be my next car replacing the FiST for daily driving (assuming I fit in them). I've heard they improved the engine, so I think I could probably enjoy driving one now.

I think they are really ugly from the front, but the rear 3/4 view is acceptable. But there aren't very many light weight manual transmission RWD cars on the market. I really wish Ford could see their way to make something like this. Good fuel economy and fun to drive. Should be everything a person wants, right?
The market is not big enough, and why the mx5 is the last small 2 seater left.
Everyone says they like a lighter mustang, but if Ford built another mustangII they call fowl.
Funny thing about car people what they claim they want that comes out of their mouths is the polar opposite of what they open their wallets for and buy.
We want a sporty full sized, so they dolled up a grand mark in all black, didn't sell, gm had the G8 didn't sell, we want a rear drive v8 coupe that isn't pony car small, GTO, didn't sell. the list of the oem's hearing the car cultures wants, and then hearing crickets when it gets on the sales floor is a long one. So it all falls on def ears now. and I don't blame them one bit, we have burned them more than a few times.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The market is not big enough, and why the mx5 is the last small 2 seater left.
Everyone says they like a lighter mustang, but if Ford built another mustangII they call fowl.
Funny thing about car people what they claim they want that comes out of their mouths is the polar opposite of what they open their wallets for and buy.
We want a sporty full sized, so they dolled up a grand mark in all black, didn't sell, gm had the G8 didn't sell, we want a rear drive v8 coupe that isn't pony car small, GTO, didn't sell. the list of the oem's hearing the car cultures wants, and then hearing crickets when it gets on the sales floor is a long one. So it all falls on def ears now. and I don't blame them one bit, we have burned them more than a few times.
Yep.

Sponsored