Sponsored

Torsen vs standard Traction lok LSD differential pros and cons?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I am wondering what the pro's and cons of the Torsen differential vs standard are? I saw on an americanmuscle video recently that the guy selected a non performance pack for a few reasons , one being brakes getting in the way of his plans (im assuming lightweight drag wheels) and also said the torsen differential would just get in the way.

Is the torsen worse than a standard differential for drag racing or more susceptible to wheel hop possibly? Just curious about your guys thoughts on the differences. I never had any problems with a standard LSD on my 2011 mustang or 2009 cts-v, the Torsen seems fine too so far, as far as I can tell. My 2003 GT had a weak rear diff and did 1 wheel peels at times, had to get it repaired and new clutch packs. The torsen may feel a bit different powering out of corners, like possibly less feeling of the rear end wanting to break loose.

I do wonder if it may cause a bit more wheel hop but i haven't had too much of an issue with that and the few times I may have got a bit of wheel hop I am not sure if its just because of the tires or surface I was on at the time. Ive also seen some standard LSD mustangs have wheel hop at times too though.

What would yall say the pros and cons of the Torsen vs the standard LSD are? The Torsen appears to be way more expensive. Is the standard LSD or torsen better for drag racing?
Sponsored

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I saw the video, cant say for sure but he may have been refering to the 3.31 gears were better suited than the standard 3.73s on the Torsen.

Pros of the Torsen - 100% Mechanical, no clutch packs to wear out, effectively achieves full lock up under load, less heat/runs cooler=less prone to limp mode
Cons of the Torsen - more fragile (although in the Mustang they are very tough), less forgiving especially at low speed

Pros of the Clutch LSD - more forgiving at all speeds but especially at low speeds, smoother
Cons of the Clutch LSD - Clutches wear out and need replacement, more heat build up due to clutch pack friction=more prone to limp mode

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw the video, cant say for sure but he may have been refering to the 3.31 gears were better suited than the standard 3.73s on the Torsen.

Pros of the Torsen - 100% Mechanical, no clutch packs to wear out, effectively achieves full lock up under load, less heat/runs cooler=less prone to limp mode
Cons of the Torsen - more fragile (although in the Mustang they are very tough), less forgiving especially at low speed

Pros of the Clutch LSD - more forgiving at all speeds but especially at low speeds, smoother
Cons of the Clutch LSD - Clutches wear out and need replacement, more heat build up due to clutch pack friction=more prone to limp mode
He was mistaken by the gears offered in the automatic performance pack 1's, they are 3.55 not 3.73 but I figured that also may have been what he was referring to. Thanks

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Can you explain by what you mean in your Torsen synopsis as far as “less forgiving especially at low speed”?

My 2018 has the Torsen and so far, with close to 12k miles on it to date, I’ve not experienced any low speed issues with it.

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Can you explain by what you mean in your Torsen synopsis as far as “less forgiving especially at low speed”?

My 2018 has the Torsen and so far, with close to 12k miles on it to date, I’ve not experienced any low speed issues with it.
I have about 10k on my 2016 Torsen, Its not as linear as a clutch LSD, this is most noticiable at low speeds in tight corners such as a parking lot. It feels like the rear end is binding, sometimes you can feel the inside tire sort of hopping/skiping a bit in otherwords its not allowing as much slip as a Clutch LSD does. This isnt a problem/nothings wrong, just nature of the beast and could be considered a Con to some.

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
The torsen is one of the more smooth LSDs on the market Definitely better than what was in my 1le. The torsen is plenty strong too. I did many 6k clutch dumps on my 15. It never had any issues. If you're having binding issues in a parking lot, you're giving it too much gas.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Where did you come up with the idea that the torsen is more fragile? It's an incredibly strong design in its implementations in many platforms.

Also, the clutch pack LSD will wear out fast when doing things like autocross. Trust me, I feel a noticeable difference after about 15 events on mine, and there's a lot more inside wheel spin up on the street than there used to be after 64k miles. I'll be looking to swap to the torsen 3.73 pumpkin over the winter myself (better handling and more durable, plus the gears will take better advantage of the extra revs I have now).

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Where did you come up with the idea that the torsen is more fragile? It's an incredibly strong design in its implementations in many platforms.

Also, the clutch pack LSD will wear out fast when doing things like autocross. Trust me, I feel a noticeable difference after about 15 events on mine, and there's a lot more inside wheel spin up on the street than there used to be after 64k miles. I'll be looking to swap to the torsen 3.73 pumpkin over the winter myself (better handling and more durable, plus the gears will take better advantage of the extra revs I have now).
Wrong choice of words ill admit, they are strong but when they do fail, they fail in a more spectacular fashion, taking the ring/pinion/bearings and everything else with it. When a Clutch LSD fails it just stops working (open diff) but doesnt destroy the entire diff.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
FWIW, the diff has zero to do with wheel hop. that is coming from deflection of soft rubber parts.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
When a Clutch LSD fails it just stops working (open diff) but doesnt destroy the entire diff.
So you're saying that clutch LSDs can't explode and take the whole diff out? The only thing that can fail on these are the clutchpacks?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what Justin from Americanmuscle said when I asked about his comment on passing on the torsen :

"Its not that I don't like it, it just not the best for drag racing. Road Course or Handling on the other hand, the Torsen is king. -Justin"

So I guess he thinks normal trak lock is better for drag racing, I think. Or atleast that Torsen isnt better for it..

I read this as an explanation about why its not the best for drag racing on a different forum :

"As Derek said above, the Torsen sends the power to the wheel with more traction. To further clarify, say if you wheel hop the left tire, the power will shift to the right, breaking it loose, and back and forth, affecting straight line control. It makes it a little less "predictable" in drag racing."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, the diff has zero to do with wheel hop. that is coming from deflection of soft rubber parts.
I liked my CTS-V2's strategy against wheelhop, uneven length and diameter rear axles. I never had wheelhop on that car. I also kind of think the magnetic suspension may have helped also. It also had a normal clutch type differential.

Another thing I may have noticed yesterday is that when doing a burnout in the torsen in damp conditions the rear seemed to sway back and forth a bit like each tire was switching from having more torque, normal clutch diff I think I only had it swing out in 1 direction usually. I did have stability control on though, so that could have had an affect on that.

Last edited:

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I liked my CTS-V2's strategy against wheelhop, uneven length and diameter rear axles. I never had wheelhop on that car. I also kind of think the magnetic suspension may have helped also. It also had a normal clutch type differential.

Another thing I may have noticed yesterday is that when doing a burnout in the torsen in damp conditions the rear seemed to sway back and forth a bit like each tire was switching from having more torque, normal clutch diff I think I only had it swing out in 1 direction usually. I did have stability control on though, so that could have had an affect on that.
No, a torsen is designed to apply power where it isn't. So its likely you were feeling that. There is a good wiki article on the torsen and how it works.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know this will tick everyone off, but science is rapidly proving that open differentials with a 4-wheel lightning fast traction control/torque vectored braking system is far superior in EVERY application. And the beauty is, the user can select which traction programming they want to use for optimum performance of various environments. Whether it be drag racing, auto-cross, icy roads, or off-road.
They quickly discovered that independent braking of each wheel does not take away power from the engine/drive train. Instead, when properly used it "prevents" a loss of power during a loss of traction and distributes power to wheels with the least traction for best performance at all times. That's why Subaru and Audi are the undisputed Kings of traction when tested by just about every unbiased company. Everyone else is now rapidly catching up, like BMW and Mazda. Even the limited slips in BMW's and Audi's are proving to be more of a nuisance than a benefit to their performance with the rapid increase in braking technology.

It won't be long before we see 4-pot Brembos in the rear of a standard Mustang, and 6-pot Brembos on all 4 wheels of a Mustang with no limited slip diff.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I think VW is King of the Traction
Sponsored