Sponsored

Too much engine coolant?

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
So I decided to check some fluid levels today and noticed that the engine coolant level is way above the max line (when engine is hot). The cold levels still show it above the max line as well. Can you guys tell me if this is TOO much? Should I drain some of it when I do my oil change within the next day or two? Is it bad for it to be that overfilled?

DB999939-4BE9-48EA-B535-6C7026D02D1C.jpeg
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As you probably realized, the level goes up when hot. Which is why there's so much room left in the tank even above the max line.

I would drain a bit of that to get it to the max level when hot.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
it'll overflow if its too full on its own. I wouldn't mess with it. thats my understanding.
or get a little sucker pump, and suck some out. I have a fluid sucker in my garage somewhere.

Deleted member 35644

With a stone-cold engine, suck enough out to put it at the "Min" line. That's where my Mustang and Focus coolant levels ride. That's enough to keep air out of the system, without causing it burp coolant into the engine bay. Has it been this high since you bought it?

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't level it to max when hot, just make sure its between min and max when cold :like:

From the manual :

1611584177229.png

Hope that helps :like:

WD :like:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That is the overflow bottle, you don't want that to overflow and flood your engine bay with coolant.
I always just thought of it as water, didn't think it could damage anything. since its basically 50% water.

Deleted member 35644

I don't think it damages anything, but it takes a long time for the stink and oily film to go away. I hate spilling coolant, because then it can look like you have a leak and the smell comes through the vents. Same with overfilling the bottle and it overflows.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As @EFI @WD Pro mentioned, drain some out, and refer to the Owner's Manual if you have some questions.

-Drain some out, when COLD.
-As it expands, the coolant will expand to where it does.
-As it contracts, it will contract to where it does.
-Leave it as is, and monitor going forward (in the unlikely case there are leaks, etc.) Coolant will expand when HOT, and contract when COLD.

One thing for why the level is critical, is because on these cars (and many Ford vehicles) these are not just coolant overflow tanks - they are referred to as "degas bottles", because there is a constant pressure or "purge" to try and remove air from the coolant system.

There is a small hose that is going toward the engine that allows for this, and having too-high a coolant level may interfere with the removal of air pockets by the pressurized system.

A little more info:
The degas bottle is part of the pressurized system and allows for air pockets, bubbles, etc., to escape from the coolant as it transits the system. The older style systems, the pressurized system stopped at the radiator cap and the bottle was purely for over flow when coolant expanded too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you all for the information. It’s all super helpful. And to answer someone above me, yes it was like this when I bought the car I haven’t touched the engine coolant at all.

So I’ll probably wait until the engine is cold tomorrow morning and use some type of liquid sucker device to suck it up close to the min line.

Appreciate all the advice guys.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Why the 'min' line? That's stupid. Put it at the 'max' line; that's what it's for, so you don't have to keep adding. The 'min' line is the lowest it should be. If it's above the 'max' line, which I'm sure it is, since my car is right at the max line, and it was nowhere near where yours is now even in summer (100+F), just suck up the excess with a turkey blaster, or similar device. Oh, and always keep an eye on coolant level until fully stabilized. My car was well below the 'min' line with just 60 miles, as most new Mustangs. After topping it off twice in 4.4K+ miles, it looks like it finally stabilized. Hope this helps.
Sponsored