Battery charging, how much is too much?

Mvalenti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Competition Orange
Noticed this morning when I started my car that the voltage was at 14.7v. I attributed it to beign 28 degrees, and maybe took a bit more out of her. Then about 5 min later, I noticed the volts were at 15, and stayed there the remainder of the drive to work, approx 20 min. Is this too much? this is the 2nd battery in the car, replaced last year.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Check the voltage with the car in accessory mode.
This will give you an idea of the non charging battery state.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My 17 (5500 miles on it) has been observed regulating as high as 14.8 after sitting for 3+ weeks without being started. Voltage on the display with accessories on engine off after 20 minutes of sitting and warming up is 11.8vdc KOEO afterward. It would have been about 40F or so that day.

Do as mentioned above...assuming you have a voltmeter.

If you have a meter and know how to use it we can step through some basic static tests on the system via PM if you wish to. No secrets, just easier to communicate when doing something like this one on one without outside distraction.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
I would not put too much faith in the voltage shown on the instruments. My 2016 GT the voltage shown can go up & down by over a volt when at steady speed & no change in electrical load. It usually shows 11.7V before starting assuming its not been standing for days & then on starting over 14.7V. A voltmeter connected across the battery is likely to give a more accurate reading.
Letting your car idle to warm up is best avoided. Clear your windows start up & drive away without clogging it till the engine is warm.
Sponsored