Tonneau covers, what to do with 'em?

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convert 17 GMC Sierra 15 Terrain
I put them in the closet and they never came out. Don't think I ever put them on the car to even test the look.

I lower and raise my top too much to deal with that nonsense.
Same for us. They have been hanging on the garage wall since the day we brought the car home May 7th.
Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the car, going to cars and coffee and other meets. For those, I think the tonneau covers are a nice touch. For most of the time they'll be in the trunk or at home.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Another photo showing the tonneau covers on. Tomorrow is the first car show I'm going to since I bought these. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can have them on and the top down.
IMG_8015.jpg

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Believe if you drive a long way for sustained periods of time, interior mouldings on the covers may run against fabric of folded roof - causing minute damage/tearing.

Think there is Ford TSB on “padding” the underside.
Look cleaner on the car but in 18 months never used mine

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Believe if you drive a long way for sustained periods of time, interior mouldings on the covers may run against fabric of folded roof - causing minute damage/tearing.

I'm in the process of switching from a 2008 C6 convertible (owned from new) to a 2019 Mustang convertible, so interesting to see there's one more similarity! There was a TSB on the Vette because the built-in flaps that do a similar job to the Mustang tonneau caps rubbed a hole in the roof lining - fix was to slice of the rear of the flap and replace with a rubber strip (and yes, it looks as cruddy as it sounds...).

Sponsored

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP

That problem has been solved. Ford replaced my caps with the new modified ones that are being shipped with '18 models--all one has to do is consult with the local dealer.

With regard to using them, I use mine all the time as it gives the car a finished appearance, as well as keeping dirt and other foreign objects out.

RJ

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
So all I have to do is go in to Ford and say "hey, change my tonneau covers"?

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I bought my car, took it home and put the caps on. They weren't quite as intuitive to install as I thought they might be but it wasn't bad. I like how they look but I'm not going to take the time to install and remove them every time I want to cycle the top. So my caps now reside in my bedroom closet and that's probably where they'll stay until I sell the car!

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I used mine for about 2 months when I first bought the car, but when I got caught on the highway in a sudden rainstorm and had to get out of the car and take them off before the top would go up I quit using them all the time. Now I only use them at car shows and I only put them on when I get there and take them back off before I leave.

Big

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Just saw this post.

Anyone have a picture of these?? I just got my car in February and I'm not sure if I have these.

If so, where can I find them stored? Wondering if I didn't get them. I bought my car used.
Same here. I bought mine used and there were none. I went on eBay and found several sets for sale. I think they were maybe $60 but don't quote me on that. They came in plastic bags which I kept, so whenever I'm not using them I keep them in the bags, in the trunk.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I am totally convinced that the tonneau covers provide critical aerodynamic stability at high speeds!

However...I am easily convinced.

:crackup:

CVCashmer
e

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I bought mine on eBay and keep them in my trunk in the covers they came with. I only ever put them on for car shows. It would suck getting caught in the rain with the top down and those things installed.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I only ever put them on for car shows. It would suck getting caught in the rain with the top down and those things installed.
I did get caught, on the highway none the less. That's why I only put them on at car shows, and take them off before I drive home.
Sponsored