Sponsored

Did anyone get tonneau caps with their convertible?

flubyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I took delivery of mine without. Just worked with FordService here on M6G and had them delivered to my door, with bags last week. This forum is awesome for Mustang fans!
Sponsored

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Just curious if the newly redesigned `16 Camaro has automatically retracting Tonneau Cover Caps or DIY Ford afterthought Caps?

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Just curious if the newly redesigned `16 Camaro has automatically retracting Tonneau Cover Caps or DIY Ford afterthought Caps?
It is a full system cover that lifts when the top starts coming down then covers it completely. Finished look? Check. But honestly, our top looks very finished when down, much more so than the '14 and earlier models that stuck up about 6". The only exception is the covers over the folding mechanisms. I am sure that it will look nice and finished on the Camaro. But something about the way the top folds looks unusual (the back of the soft top lifts to accommodate the cover mechanism). A

lso, if the fancy lifting and folding top cuts in the trunk space (which it surely will) then I am great with not having it. One of the things that I really love about my convertible (call me crazy) is the trunk space, and that lifting and covering tonneu cover looks like it will diminish what is already a suffocatingly small trunk in the Camaro. On the up-side, I am sure that those that only take a deck of cards with them when they drive will have room for two or three in there...

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Here is an example video, though it is very annoyingly shot, that shows the Convertible top retracting. The one nice thing, that I am a bit envious on, is that the top can be operated at low speeds (<30MPH) though I am not sure how local and state laws affect that. I believe Oregon has a law that prohibits raising or lowering at stop lights, for example.

[ame]

Sponsored

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the looks of my `15 Mustang Convertible much better then the new `16 Camaro Convertible however, giving up a bit of Trunk space to have the Tonneau Covers incorporated into the Top mechanism for me would be an easy trade off. That "Spoiler" does nothing to the looks of that pre-production Camaro Convertible IMO. Why having a Convertible Top able to deploy while driving at speeds up to 30 mph is desirable is beyond my comprehension. If you don`t have a few seconds to pull to the side of the road to put the top up if it starts to rain or put it down when the showers are over you need to take a deep breath, relax, or take a Xanax!

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
I like the look of my Mustang vert better as well. I'd be concerned about the added complexity of the Camaro top as well.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the look of my Mustang vert better as well. I'd be concerned about the added complexity of the Camaro top as well.
The complexity of the retractable Tonneau Cap Covers should`nt be much of an issue. All your high-end Imported Convertibles have had this feature incorporated into their systems for years. A bit added extra cost to the Manufacturer (but) the added profit margins and cost of the Convertible should be able to cover the extra expense.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gotta have a boot, looks way better
Yeah,maybe a Vinyl Boot with Snaps and Fasteners like they did back in the Day when you had to first unzip the plastic rear window before you lowered the Top too?:D

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Here is an example video, though it is very annoyingly shot, that shows the Convertible top retracting. The one nice thing, that I am a bit envious on, is that the top can be operated at low speeds (<30MPH) though I am not sure how local and state laws affect that. I believe Oregon has a law that prohibits raising or lowering at stop lights, for example.

The S2000 had two top protection systems, one was speed related, there other was the e-brake - the speed related one took about 5 minutes to bypass (and it was easily reversed, just a single wire). Keeping the e-brake one in place was a nice way to assure you didn't just lean on the switch since it's on the armrest, and all it took was one click up.

Made it kind of nice to be able to roll up to a stop light and already have the top going up/down, or creep along in traffic and operate it - of course it also meant the operator had to make sure they didn't raise it going 60 ... :D

The Camaro top looks like it needs to go deeper into the rear trunk area, so it probably doesn't have that space under the top storage area, I guess we'll find out when it's released. We had a 330Ci BMW that actually had a space in the trunk you could open up when the top was up, or you could leave that section closed off when you used the trunk so you'd know you could drop the top.

Though nothing like the M3 Cabs I was cross shopping, the convertible hard top basically makes the car a fully finished coupe when it's up, but it consumes the trunk when it's down, I mean, it became a single duffle bag trunk!

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Though nothing like the M3 Cabs I was cross shopping, the convertible hard top basically makes the car a fully finished coupe when it's up, but it consumes the trunk when it's down, I mean, it became a single duffle bag trunk!
Curious, did the M3 have the trunk space available when the top was up or was it more walled off so the trunk was duffle bag sized the whole time? If the first, was there a sensor to tell if there was space to put down the top or would it just smash all of the contents?

My wife really was a fan of hard top convertibles, I think mostly for the added safety aspect, but they were not in our price range and the whole no trunk space thing was really a non-starter.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From Back in the late fifties when Ford first introduced Convertible Coupes with "Hardtops that retracted, known as "Skyliners" versus the PlexiGlass Moon Roof, "Starliners" and of course the Convertible, "Sunliners". Who in this Blog is old enough to remember that Trivia? There were problems both with the hydraulics due to the extreme weight of the Top as well as the ugly raised rear Trunk Deck needed to store this monster. True, engineering has advanced and made it doable and lowered the trunk deck lines but a Convertible is meant to be a "Rag Top" regardless of what material (fabric or vinyl) that is used, IMO.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I got them with my Vert off the lot

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
The complexity of the retractable Tonneau Cap Covers should`nt be much of an issue. All your high-end Imported Convertibles have had this feature incorporated into their systems for years. A bit added extra cost to the Manufacturer (but) the added profit margins and cost of the Convertible should be able to cover the extra expense.
True, but Chevy doesn't make high end imported cars. They can't even seem to get simple things right.
Sponsored