Sponsored

Today was a weird day. Read if bored.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, I’ve been active with doing crap for my GT lately.

Replaced the rear Perelli’s wth Firehawk Indy 500’s. The Perelli’s made it 10,000 miles and were digging into the wear bars. Love the Indy’s so far. They look like a drag radial and are FAR more compliant and sticky than the P’s from the driving I’ve done so far.

I decided to get my windows tinted today. Went with a 3M film, 15%. Looks freaking awesome and hopefully will help with the Florida heat and more importantly blocking UV rays to save my skin and the interior. I got I pretty straight forward deal from a long time local place.

I decided it was time to change my oil as well, as the car had an oil change pre-purchase around 5,700mi which I assume was the first change. Quicklane did it, so it was probably synthetic blend Motorcraft and I’d put 5k on it.

I by chance found that Pep Boys had a special, $20 for a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum. Picked up two jugs and an FL500S filter.

This is when things went a little awry. I door dinged TWO vehicles opening the stupid ass wide doors on this car. They we’re very soft contacts and I checked 3-4x to make sure there WASN’T any marking on the other vehicle. That rattled my nerves.

So on to changing my oil. My previous ride was a Focus ST and required you to drop the engine “diaper” which isn’t hard but it’s annoying. Other than that, it’s a super fast oil change on that car.

Problem 1 - I live in an apartment complex. The pavement is as slick as ice. It took me 30min or trial and error and literally utilizing parking stops to keep my ramps from skating out from under the front tires.

Fast forward to the fact I now have to have a container that will hold 8qt of dead dinosaurs and coal. I picked up a 10qt drain with a lid, drain spout and a mesh “tray” to catch the drain plug. I was super nervous about pulling the drain plug because I was afraid it’d spill everywhere. Things worked out, plus I put a BATB (big ass trash bag) under the drain, just in case.

Feeling accomplished that I got the oil out was cut violently short. The “catch tray” gets a little flaccid once the hot oil hits it and it proceeded to drop into the container full of oil as I was going to reach for the drain plug. I had to get a little creative with a funnel to fish the mesh piece out and thankfully the drain plug as well.

I was pretty happy that it was only one fastener to drop the tray for the oil filter. That’s where the next excitement ended. First off, the filter that was on there was weeping. I’m hoping it was just loose, but I didn’t care about that as much as I did the angle the filter sits at and how I knew it would literally leak on everything from the subframe to what appeared to be the alternator wire harness.

So I carefully loosened the filter and let it drain some, trying to minimize the damage. Well, it slipped when I took it off and I was lightly deep frying my hand in oil, trying not to drop the filter in the drain pain and cause a tsunami of PROP 65 sticky black gold.

Now my backup plan (BATB) has failed me, we have a real problem. I’m trying to minimize the damage as I feel the Florida state bird (mosquitos) sucking the blood from my ankles. At this time I’m just pissed.

Put the new filter on, tighten, go to fill oil. Manage to spill oil somehow as I am adding. Not much but enough to trigger further disappointment in my first GT oil change.

Finish that, clean up my tools and mess. Decide I’m going to dispose of the oil tonight so I take a trip to the parts store. The girl behind the counter told me to just leave the oil there and they’d dispose of it. She didn’t understand I had a reusable container that I wanted to take home. So I went back to the oil dump, it’s got a padlock on it.

Went back to the register, the girl is like do you need anything else? I said well, the oil dump is locked. So she walks back there with me and flips the lid from the other side. At this point I’m like man I’m an F’ing idiot. She apparently thought so to, as she goes “do you need me to help you pour it?” Dafuq?!?! I’m like, “no, I’m good.. thanks”. Fast forward 30 seconds. The stupid ass container slips and dumps probably half a quart on top of the oil disposal container before I can stop it.

Now I’m livid. I run to the bathroom, grab paper towels and start sopping up the Exxon Valdez. 5min later, I’m throwing stuff in the trash can and the bag slips into the can. Ok, whatever. Fix that. Notice I had oil on my leg because the stupid container leaked, which meant it leaked on the squeaky clean white floor. Went and wiped that up.

Finally go to leave and the girl walks back, forgetting I am there, so all she sees is some random guy walking out of the back of the store. What further didn’t help this is I was wearing gloves while dumping the oil, so it probably looked pretty sketchy. She may have had to change her pants as I startled her pretty bad. At least she didn’t throw a punch... lol.

Get to my car, take the extra trash bag I had lining the floor, flap it around to open it up, put oil container in, leave.

Stop for gas. Notice there’s oil on the side of my car. Look closer, notice there’s oil on my window. OK, well apparently there was oil on the trash bag I flung open. Grabbed a napkin and gently dab the oil off my door. Go to wipe the window and my stomach dropped. THE OIL WAS ON THE INSIDE, ON MY 6hr OLD TINT!!! I was like WTF, WTF IS GOING ON?! I freaked out, wiped it with the napkin.. left a nasty streak. I thought this is it, I just ruined this window. I rushed back and hit it with some soap and water and a microfiber towel. THANKFULLY it came off and it doesn’t seem to have left anything.

Sooo with all that being said, it was a lot of weird random stuff for a day. Try to treat the car to a good day and look at what happens.. lol.
Sponsored

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Had to read as I was bored , made my day thanx! Sometimes things just never go as planned, better luck next time.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I laughed in a sharing your pain kind of way.

I would be as frustrated as you, haha.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
It almost seemed like one of those movies where everything goes wrong and part way through you are getting frustrated just watching because how could so many things keep going wrong. It is just too far fetched.

Well, I guess those types of movies will be more believeable to me now that I’ve heard your story!

Way to persevere through a bummer day and thanks for reminding me that even when things seem bad, they can probably get worse!

Great story and best wishes for a better tomorrow.

-T

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Thought I wss going to wake my wife up laughing (reading in bed). Sounds like just about every project for me. Your day could have only gotten better from there though.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hahaha thanks for the replies. I’m glad everyone got a laugh out of it. Yesterday was the first time I think I said to myself “turning your own wrenches is getting old”. Then I think about having someone else touch my car and I remember why I do it myself.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Well you cured me of ever thinking of doing it myself....LMAO

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well you cured me of ever thinking of doing it myself....LMAO
Hahaha. A lift would have made the whole process much easier. I hate flat-backing stuff but I seem to do nothing but that. Need to find a garage that rents bays out!

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I always pay to have my oil done. (Next I think will be Mobile 1). But anyway (especially on a forum) I'll get "you lazy bum, get down there and do it yourself- its easy!" You just reminded me again why I'll just pay a few bucks and that's that. Glad you made through the day ok....!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I always pay to have my oil done. (Next I think will be Mobile 1). But anyway (especially on a forum) I'll get "you lazy bum, get down there and do it yourself- its easy!" You just reminded me again why I'll just pay a few bucks and that's that. Glad you made through the day ok....!
Yeah I definitely am teetering on that mentality.. lol.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Brother, I laughed, I cried, it was an emotional roller coaster. :crackup:

Actually I've had days like that, and if I didn't laugh at myself I would have screamed. Thanks for the great narrative, I needed that. :)

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’m sitting here waiting for my car to get washed so I am surfing the board and enjoyed reading too in a share your pain kinda way. That was my day Friday and Saturday except not with the Mustang

Some days the universe is just in a big ass F off mode lol

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
For days like this, my diagnosis is take two shots of 80 proof and call me in the morning.
Sponsored