Sponsored

To performance pack or not....that is the question

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Mach 1 on order; ā€˜18 Mustang GT (sold)
To keep it brief, I am in the market for a new A10 car which will likely see mainly daily and drag racing duties with the occasional local autocross event. Is the level 1 performance pack worth it or would just the 3.55 rear gear upgrade suffice? Input from guys who do both would be appreciated. :headbang:
Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
To keep it brief, I am in the market for a new A10 car which will likely see mainly daily and drag racing duties with the occasional local autocross event. Is the level 1 performance pack worth it or would just the 3.55 rear gear upgrade suffice? Input from guys who do both would be appreciated. :headbang:
you wont get drag mode unless you get something above base model. PP1 adds some decent improvements, a base GT A10 w/ pp1 and 301A package is perfect in my view. you can find them in this configuration for less than 40K if you look around

OP
OP
Stormtroopin5.0

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Mach 1 on order; ā€˜18 Mustang GT (sold)
you wont get drag mode unless you get something above base model. PP1 adds some decent improvements, a base GT A10 w/ pp1 and 301A package is perfect in my view. you can find them in this configuration for less than 40K if you look around
Absolutely, the car will have the 301A package I was more wondering if the added "track" goodies of the PP are worth the extra cost.

Terminator03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6 speed
Absolutely worth it in my opinion. Iā€™m in a manual and it was worth it for the gear ratios alone much less the other incentives

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Absolutely, the car will have the 301A package I was more wondering if the added "track" goodies of the PP are worth the extra cost.
better tires, brakes, suspension and cooling. Torsen posi carrier instead of standard carrier. different stabilitrack calibration and traction control calibration. totally worth it to me

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
They are always worth it.

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
I really think you have to decide what is more important to you. The pp has parts all oriented toward road race imo(yes the cooling is better for turns or straight line). However the suspension as well as the torsen are more suited for twisties. That being said the traditional trac lock is better for straight line and the pp suspension isnt designed for 1/4mi. If you paid for the pp would you leave the suspension alone? If not, even for auto cross the speeds dont really warrant the bigger brakes.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do it, if financially possible.

Since the inception of the S550, on this site there have been quite a few posts from those who chose a non-PP and then regretted the decision.

For what you get with a PP car, itā€™s really worth the extra $ if you consider all of the parts (and in some cases labor hours) that is needed to ā€œconvertā€ to a PP GT (or EB).

If going for the GT, and again if financially possible, go for the PP2 - great thread on here from those who have PP2ā€™d and that package is worth the $.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I really think you have to decide what is more important to you. The pp has parts all oriented toward road race imo(yes the cooling is better for turns or straight line). However the suspension as well as the torsen are more suited for twisties. That being said the traditional trac lock is better for straight line and the pp suspension isnt designed for 1/4mi. If you paid for the pp would you leave the suspension alone? If not, even for auto cross the speeds dont really warrant the bigger brakes.
I have the Detroit trutrac Torsen style diff in my high hp classic car and it works great in drag racing situations. no clutch plates to wear out, no side to side slippage due to worn carrier components..no downside.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I don't regret NOT buying the PP but i don't take it to the Track or Drag strip.

boxstang40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 lx hatch
I have the Detroit trutrac Torsen style diff in my high hp classic car and it works great in drag racing situations. no clutch plates to wear out, no side to side slippage due to worn carrier components..no downside.
Im not saying it wouldnā€™t work, however it isnt as much suited for straight line as the traction-lok. Just making sure the op doesnt spend money on parts he doesnt need. If he leans more toward drag racing i dont feel the pp will be worth 4k to him. That $ could be used elsewhere to suit his needs. I actually just bought a 31 spline torsen from a gt500 for my fox 5lug upgrade so im not hating on the torsen. Just making op aware of what pp parts are geared toward.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You have to get the PP; if, you want Magnaride shocks. If you're gonna drive fast; the tires, brakes, and differential are worth it.

Cheers,

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I didnā€™t get the pp, if I had it to do again I would have gotten it. That said, when itā€™s all said and done for similar $$ my car will handle better than a pp car(ford racing track suspension upgrade) & have lighter better looking wheels and wider tires. What I wonā€™t pony up for that I really wanted is the Brembos, rear wing, and torsen diff.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Was there a particular reason Ford had to increase the cost of the performance package? ..did something change vs the '15-'17 model? ..like the cost of tires..pirelli vs Michelin.
Sponsored