To Mod or Not to Mod, That Is the Question

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
There are times while browsing this site and places like American Muscle when I feel like I have a devil on my shoulder saying DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!. Then I get in my 460 HP car and feel totally content with the sound, speed and performance. Then I'm bored and back on the internet, thinking NOT ENOUGH HORSES, NOT LOUD ENOUGH, NOT COOL ENOUGH, but I'm not tracking or showing the car so why do I care? Sometimes it starts with a simple resonater delete but ends up being a revamped exhaust that's louder than a Harley and pisses off the entire neighborhood. Other times it starts with a CAI and a tune that gives you 40 more horsepower but you end up with a car that gives you never ending headaches and a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT that never goes out. Sometimes it starts with a minor interior change but ends with a new steering wheel, tint too dark to see through and $4000 worth of hideous carbon fiber. Then the exterior mods start where you need to change everything just to say you changed everything. It might start with a new grille and rock guards but you end up with a new hood, aftermarket fog lamps and Ferrari tail lights (imagine a Ferrari with Mustang tail lights for laughs). Americans need the Euro tail lights and the Europeans need the American tail lights. Before you know it the car is unrecognizable along with your bank account and you're stuck with a car that is worth significantly less than before you spent a dime. Soon nothing is stock and there's no going back and you paid a whole lot of money to ugly up a beautiful car. Sometimes I really envy the restraint that the "Never Mod' crowd shows. Not sure what the moral of this story is but I do know that human nature is a funny thing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

js19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
If you're happy with the car, keep it as is. If you see something you like, get it. Tasteful mods will only improve the car.

If you're worried about resale, be sure all the mods you put on can be reversible, and try not to fall too deep down the rabbit hole.

My bank account sure doesn't like me but I love everything I have done to my car and I don't regret it.

What mods are you thinking of doing?

Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It's the difference between what you need and what you want. None of my mods give me grief but all look like they could be factory so the car looks stock to all except Mustang aficionados.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
Realistically I have no place to use the horsepower I already have. So, I will save the money to put toward the next car with a bigger "cool factor".
track it. its awesome.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
track it. its awesome.
Since I have a convertible and don't have a roll bar, as does OP, I assume your comment was more of a general response. Adding a rollbar and tracking a two ton car isn't particularly practical. Better to find a 20 year old Vette.

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
If you're happy with the car, keep it as is. If you see something you like, get it. Tasteful mods will only improve the car.

If you're worried about resale, be sure all the mods you put on can be reversible, and try not to fall too deep down the rabbit hole.

My bank account sure doesn't like me but I love everything I have done to my car and I don't regret it.

What mods are you thinking of doing?
First thing I did was new grill, then H-pipe, hood and trunk struts, catch can, window tint, spoiler, K&N air filter, put a stainless steel dead pedal inside.

The devil on my shoulder is also talking about a styling bar, C&L axle back and a CAI with tune. Will probably do the bar at some point but I'm hesitant about the axle back and the CAI for now.

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
i have "pp-1 wheels,ford performance air/oil separator,ford performace by borla axelbacks with black chrome tips,ford performance strut tower brace,ford gt350 rear spoiler and bmr low profile jacking rails,ditched the engine cover 1st day"on my 21 base gt...maybe a lower k-member brace soon and as always...thinking about better handeling without killing the car!this is a base(300a) car..my 3rd mustang

Sponsored

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
If it is a daily driver I don't see the point. If you want the car to "wake up" and feel like it probably should then it is just air flow improvements and a professional tune on the dyno to make sure the injector duty, AFR, etc.. are all in the right tolerances. Yeah it's not much HP but it also is b/c the car just wakes up.

Now if the car is a second car, track day car, drag car, etc... then modifications are necessary to allow the car to achieve it's max potential. But even to that end chasing after HP is a waste unless it's a drag car.

It boils down to personal preference and realizing everything is a trade off. For example - I don't have the time or money to constantly get my car on the alignment machine every time before the 4-5 track days I do a year so I run my car basically in between the street and track camber and caster settings.

Bottom line is I never understand guys with highly modified daily drivers especially those guys commuting to work in a 600+HP Hellion or Whipple car and they haven't upgraded suspension and brake components.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Regarding performance mods, one aspect I often notice is the owner (of any car, not just Mustangs) mods one aspect of the car without realizing the knock-on effects (until itā€™s too late). They do not treat the carā€™s mechanical/electrical profile as a system of components, but as a bunch of individual parts, each one operating in isolation.

Regarding appearance mods, almost all of us make subtle changes (wheels/tires, tint). Often Iā€™ve noticed other types of mods seem to be something bought on a whim and stuck on the car. Millions and millions of the cars have been produced, with a proven appearance. Itā€™s difficult for anyone to improve upon it greatly.

Other than wheels/tires and tint, practical changes more than anything else, Iā€™m plenty happy with what I'll be getting. The expenses incurred thus far will prevent me from considering even more changes. I also don't want to work myself into something where I am constantly messing with the car. I want to get in it, drive and enjoy it.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've gone crazy with modding cars in the past. With this one, I just do OEM+, which is basically adding things that bolt on with no drama and can bolt off the same way. I added some stuff from the performance pack cars. OEM parts that are designed for the car, but that just weren't included on mine originally.

I also added a full catback, because one of my favorite things about the car is the engine note. I wanted to accentuate that because it makes the experience more fun for me.

And finally, good wheels and tires. This is a work in progress, but nothing changes a car more for the better than getting wheels you love with a quality rubber compound on them.

Engine mods don't really appeal to me because these cars are already fast enough. I can't even top out 3rd gear without at minimum a reckless driving ticket. Like sure, it's amazing to have a 5 second 60-130 time, and with a blower these cars can do it...but man, that's dancing with the devil. Props to the guys who run that type of stuff on the street and don't think twice about the potential consequences.

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
First thing I did was new grill, then H-pipe, hood and trunk struts, catch can, window tint, spoiler, K&N air filter, put a stainless steel dead pedal inside.

The devil on my shoulder is also talking about a styling bar, C&L axle back and a CAI with tune. Will probably do the bar at some point but I'm hesitant about the axle back and the CAI for now.
I also put Steeda jacking rails on because ya gotta be able to get her up safely.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I would have a supercharger if I wasn't married. She is the angel on my other shoulder...Hell, I would have a GT500 if it was just me. I originally wanted a GT350, but the market went nuts and I was lucky to find a GT Premium performance pack. Only mods so far are H-pipe and tail-light covers. I'll probably just do gloss black emblems and maybe the Ford Performance CAI/tune and some stereo upgrades and call it a day.
Sponsored