Tire with some longevity?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
'18 Ecoboost Premium Convertible that's my DD. 60 miles a day round-trip commute that's 75% rush hour interstate/ 25% city streets. It's also the car we drive on trips and weekend outings. It does not get tracked or raced but sees some fun mountain roads a few times a year. Currently on the factory P Zero Nero AS tires. They have been fine for me from a handling standpoint but Tread wear really sucks.
I'm looking for recommendations for an all season tire with decent handling and will last at least 40k miles. Longer would be better but looking for at least 40k.
Suggestions please.
Sponsored

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Following. I have 19"s from a 2012 GT on for the majority of the year and the Sumitomos mounted handle well but don't ride well or wear regularly. Hoping to get a slightly thicker sidewall, but interested on best longevity brands.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
Michelin Pilot Sport AS4

OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I know the Michelins have a good reputation for handling but their tread life rating is not significantly better than the P Zeros. That and they are comparatively expensive.

For those recommending them what kind of milage are you getting?

I've also looked at the Continental DWS and while not as pricey as the Michelins still don't have that great a tread rating.

I don't have to have a big brand name but do want decent handling and good tread life.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Pick any 65,000 tread wear warrantied tire and have at it.

If you want a performance A/S you are stuck with 45K mileage

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
While not performance based, but I've had a great ride from Kuhmo grand-touring TA71 type tires before. I believe they're 60k mileage rated.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Ultimate performance and good tread life does not go hand in hand. It is always a compromise. That is why I opted for a Michelin A/S performance tire. I think it is a great balance of the two. But... if you like to spin the tires nothing will last long. I burned through Pirelli summers as well as the aforementioned Michelins with only a small advantage in mileage going to the Michelins.

OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
If you want a performance A/S you are stuck with 45K mileage
I think I could live with 45k if they actually got something close to that. I'm getting maybe half that with the P Zeros. And it's all basically commuting or trips. I really don't spin the tires all that much, it's an Ecoboost for goodness sake...
So, do the Michelins and Continentals get what they claim?

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I think I could live with 45k if they actually got something close to that. I'm getting maybe half that with the P Zeros. And it's all basically commuting or trips. I really don't spin the tires all that much, it's an Ecoboost for goodness sake...
I'm pretty sure the Michelins will get much closer than those P Zeros, which seem to be all around poor tires. I have General Gmax AS05s with about 20k on them. They are on pace to get close to 40k and have a 45k warranty.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
All of the P-zero tires I have had have been all around not great tires (not great traction, poor life, etc.).

In my experience Michelins tend to provide what is advertised. I have only had the A/S3+ tires on my GT350 for ~700 miles so I can't talk to wear. I did have Michelin PSS tires on my 2011 GT500 that lasted over 20k miles (with some spirited driving) which is more than I probably should have expected.

Something else to look at is Nokian Z-line tires. I had those on my 2014 Mustang GT and they were great. Not quite as much traction as the Michelins, but much better than the Stock P-Zeros. I traded the car in before I used them up so I can't talk to life with 100% confidence, but I had them for ~20k miles and they had plenty of life left (I would guesstimate ~30 to 40k left)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 .
Sponsored