Sponsored

Tips for powering Radar Detector AND Dashcam?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Wondering how best to permanently wire power to both devices. (I can wire/fab any DIY harness.)

Mirror tap seems to be easy and clean, but I wonder about losing the fuse for each device. For example, detector's 2A fuse is in the cigar plug.

I read there are issues with clearance under the fusebox cover when using a fuse tap.

And so on.

Thread references welcome!
Sponsored

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
I'm fitting an add-a-fuse on fuse 23 without any issues getting fuse box cover back on. There's 2 nice grounding points to the right of the fuse box under the kick panel. I'm powering my dashcam using the add-a-fuse; not sure if you could or should power both radar and dashcam from the same add-a-fuse.

On my '15 a mirror-tap worked fine, but on my '17 the tolerances on the mirror harness seem to have changed, and the pins don't fit at all. You could use vampire taps on the correct wires, but I just went the add-a-fuse route instead.

Spitz_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2017 Mustang GT Premium w/ Performance Pkg.
I'm fitting an add-a-fuse on fuse 23 without any issues getting fuse box cover back on. There's 2 nice grounding points to the right of the fuse box under the kick panel. I'm powering my dashcam using the add-a-fuse; not sure if you could or should power both radar and dashcam from the same add-a-fuse.

On my '15 a mirror-tap worked fine, but on my '17 the tolerances on the mirror harness seem to have changed, and the pins don't fit at all. You could use vampire taps on the correct wires, but I just went the add-a-fuse route instead.
I'm also using an add-a-fuse on fuse 23, but for my radar detector.

I was curious if anyone knows of another good fuse I could use for my dash camera. I've gotten out my fuse tester and messed around with which ones were on when the car was on, and also looked at the fuses section of the owner's manual to see what they were used for. Curious if anyone else is using a fuse other than 23 for a dash camera?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
If I recall, I used fuse 36 for the dash cam.

I couldn't fit a fuse tap in there. Because the fusebox is kinda recessed, the fusetap's wire didn't clear. I never did try another fuse location or another fusetap, but I ended up just wrapping the wire from the dashcam around one of the legs of the fuse and reinserted. It works.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I tied mine into the wiring in the roof for the mirror. Just taped, I think it was the brown wire but you can figure out what wire is the switched power to the mirror and trace it above the map light and tap into it. Makes for a clean install that doesnt need to have wires running all over the place.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I ended up ordering this short mirror harness from eBay. It has an internal 3A fuse while the detector wants 2A, but I decided that it is a low risk. I pushed the pins into the taps shown, which was proven in another thread.

As for the dashcam, I routed the supplied power cable from the center console outlet, behind/around the various panels and carpeting, and up to the camera on the windshield. I did not bother with the fusebox, and the install is almost as clean - only a couple inches of the power wire at the plug is exposed. And I can unplug the camera for whatever reason, or to use the outlet for something else.
RadarDetectorWireHarnessAtMirror.jpg
Switchedpoweratmirror_1.png

Sda3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green Performance Pack GT Premium
Wondering how best to permanently wire power to both devices. (I can wire/fab any DIY harness.)

Mirror tap seems to be easy and clean, but I wonder about losing the fuse for each device. For example, detector's 2A fuse is in the cigar plug.

I read there are issues with clearance under the fusebox cover when using a fuse tap.

And so on.

Thread references welcome!
I didn't have any issues with the cover with the add a fuse.
IMG_7544.jpg

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I ended up ordering this short mirror harness from eBay. It has an internal 3A fuse while the detector wants 2A, but I decided that it is a low risk. I pushed the pins into the taps shown, which was proven in another thread.

As for the dashcam, I routed the supplied power cable from the center console outlet, behind/around the various panels and carpeting, and up to the camera on the windshield. I did not bother with the fusebox, and the install is almost as clean - only a couple inches of the power wire at the plug is exposed. And I can unplug the camera for whatever reason, or to use the outlet for something else.
I used the same thing after getting a 12v to 5v converter (car is 12, dashcam is 5) ... be aware that I think the black is 1 off on that pic. It needs to go into a slot that has an existing wire.
Sponsored