Threat from Tire Bubble

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
After installing part of the Steeda 'Stop the Hop' kit, I took my '19 Bullitt in for an alignment. Surprisingly, the rear wheels were in spec but the front wheels were slightly off-spec for toe (this car only has 13K miles on it from new, and I haven't hit anything, well, nothing hard). Anyway, the tech got the front wheels in spec but pointed out the RF tire has a slight bubble on the sidewall (see photo; it bulges out about an eighth of an inch). This is more-than-slightly disappointing as the tires are the OEM Michelin PS4/Ses and I've always felt Michelins were the best tires (the A/S3s I put on my '08 Bullitt were better all-around than some of the HP summer tires I tried).

Anyway, I'd appreciate the forum's wisdom on how much of a threat this bubble is (the shop manager said 'Avoid potholes,' but that's next-to-impossible these days). I know the only 'correct' answer is: 'Scrap them all and get 4 new,' and I was planning on replacing the rears, at least, next spring but if Michelin's got quality issues I'll have to reconsider other brands.

TIA.

tirebubble.JPG
Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I also see some curb rash on the rim near the bulge. You must have hit something along the way. Keep driving if the tire does not vibrate and don't drive at high speed if you are trying to get some more miles on them before replacing all four. These high wear summer tires are the reason I avoided the PP1 on my 2018 GT which has a square set up and all season tires. Good Luck.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Well, you know the correct answer, at least for that tire - it's toast, dump it. If it's bulging, the inner structure has been damaged to some degree. I might limp home on a bulge, but I wouldn't drive on it after that as the risk of failure is too high.

At 13k, you're less than half the rated life of the front tires. If the other front one needs to be replaced because of wear, you're inside the Michelin pro-rata warranty range by a lot. If the other front tire isn't worn to the point of needing replacing, why would you think about dumping it?

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
A bulge/bubble in the sidewall is never a good thing. That means that the tire has a split in it and the only thing holding air is the outer most layer of rubber. This USUALLY happens from hitting a pothole or hard bump and the wheel pinches the tire hard enough to destroy the inner sidewall, and you may or may not also have a slightly bent wheel now. You are riding on borrowed time and the tire will likely go out in dramatic fashion. Change that tire. It has nothing to do with manufacturing quality or defects. It all comes down to wear and tear.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Your tire is toast the inner belts are ruptured and air is leaking between the belts also know as a bubble. If it were me I would not wait that tire would be replaced. These low profile babies can not sustain curb or pot hole damage to any extent. Been there done that.

Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
After installing part of the Steeda 'Stop the Hop' kit, I took my '19 Bullitt in for an alignment. Surprisingly, the rear wheels were in spec but the front wheels were slightly off-spec for toe (this car only has 13K miles on it from new, and I haven't hit anything, well, nothing hard). Anyway, the tech got the front wheels in spec but pointed out the RF tire has a slight bubble on the sidewall (see photo; it bulges out about an eighth of an inch). This is more-than-slightly disappointing as the tires are the OEM Michelin PS4/Ses and I've always felt Michelins were the best tires (the A/S3s I put on my '08 Bullitt were better all-around than some of the HP summer tires I tried).

Anyway, I'd appreciate the forum's wisdom on how much of a threat this bubble is (the shop manager said 'Avoid potholes,' but that's next-to-impossible these days). I know the only 'correct' answer is: 'Scrap them all and get 4 new,' and I was planning on replacing the rears, at least, next spring but if Michelin's got quality issues I'll have to reconsider other brands.

TIA.

tirebubble.JPG
Dude you obviously hit something. Why wait for your tire to blow out before you change it. And if your mechanic tells you it's okay, then you should be looking for another shade tree mechanic. Just saying.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
You WILL have a sidewall failure with that tire....

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
looks like ya curbed it and broke a belt or something.

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
That's from driver failure not tire failure. You clipped a curb or similar, resulting in the bubble. Unfortunately, the correct answer is to change the tire or risk a blowout. Could be in 5 miles or 5K miles, no way to know.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I wouldn’t replace all four. I would replace the two front tires at most depending on how much wear you have have left. A better picture would help too looking down the sidewall. Looking at it from the side doesn’t show much.

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
That tire is junk. Stick it in a tire cage and inflate till it blows, make sure you video it!

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
The question to ask yourself is how much is your life or someone else's life worth if this thing blows while going down the highway. Equipment failure is easy to avoid when you know the part to replace beforehand.