First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
Hello my fellow enthusiasts,

I want to get your thoughts about whether or not the performance pack is a good buy for the Ecoboost model. Let me elaborate.

As the delivery date on the S550 quickly (or slowly for those of you who have ordered :thumbsup:) approaches, I have been debating back and forth about what model and options I would like to get. I am pretty set on getting the Ecoboost engine, and I will leave it at that because engine choice isn't what I want to talk about here. What I am really stuck on at the moment is the optioning, specifically the performance pack.

If/when I get a 2015 Mustang, I plan to use it as my daily driver. That said, I still want it to be fun to drive (obviously). For me a big part of that is how it will handle in the turns. I'm not looking for Miata type handling, but in my opinion the 2011 GT I drove just felt awful in the turns (insert boat comparison). My hope is that even the base level car will have a better feel in the turns.

I like the idea of having the performance pack because it seems to have good value (as discussed in other threads), but there are a few concerns for me. I am not so crazy about the wheels that come with the performance pack. Secondly, I do not really want to have to change out the tires/wheels seasonally. With the summer only tires that is sort of a pain and an added expense.

So the real question is will the performance pack add a lot to the driving dynamics of the car. Clearly no one can know this without a test drive, and I plan to test drive it with and without. However, based on what we know now do you guys think the performance pack is worth while for a daily driver? I don't really want to have to pay more for tires if I don't need to, but a lot of the other goodies that come in the performance pack seem pretty nice (bigger brakes, better suspension, etc.). Will they make a noticeable difference on the road though? I don't plan on tracking it.

Give me your thoughts about it. I'm sure there are things I have not considered.

PS I know there was a very similar thread, but most of the discussion was focused on the GT. So this is specifically meant to address the Ecoboost.
Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I would think that the Ecoboost will be the best handling model due to its lighter weight and better weight distribution. So adding a performance pack with its upgrades should make a good handling model even better. I personally think it's a great value on the Ecoboost for what you get (plus you can pair it with an auto trans for a daily driver, unlike the GT).

To get all that stuff separately later would cost a lot more. I think it makes a ton of sense, even for a daily driver, since you can get it with auto, which is what I would do.

I do agree on the black wheels though. But I could probably live with it on a darker colored car.

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Well that is another thing I forgot to mention. I really like Ruby Red, but the black wheels on Ruby Red don't look great to me. I mean I can obviously just buy different wheels, but I hate to spend the extra cash when I already like several of the other wheel options out there. I guess I could trade with someone who didn't like their's.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
For me PP was a must have. Not crazy about black wheels, but can be remedied easily and cheaply. Will be a daily driver and gonna drive those summer tires right into February. Ruby red and the black wheels not bad IMO. Get the PP!

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
For me PP was a must have. Not crazy about black wheels, but can be remedied easily and cheaply. Will be a daily driver and gonna drive those summer tires right into February. Ruby red and the black wheels not bad IMO. Get the PP!
If you don't mind could you elaborate a bit more? What makes it a "must have?" Are there specific parts that are must-haves or is it the sum of the parts?

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Based on my experience with the current Mustang, if you're interested in handling feel and response get the PP. It's a no-brainer. It will ride a little harder (stiffer shocks), but it will respond more like what you are looking for.

FWIW, the Mustang (V6, EB or GT) is not an STi, GTI, Evo, 3XXZ, etc... It's a Mustang, and it has its own mystique, its own vibe. If you're buying one thinking it's something it isn't you're likely to be disappointed. I can tell you that as big and heavy as my car is, as antiquated as its SRA is, it doesn't feel like a boat. It is nimble and fleet of foot, and is a joy to drive on a twisty road. Just sayin'.

As for the wheels, you can always have them painted whatever color you like at a local body shop. You might want to leave them dark colored though, as you're going to be appalled at the amount of brake dust Ford performance brake pads produce.

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you don't mind could you elaborate a bit more? What makes it a "must have?" Are there specific parts that are must-haves or is it the sum of the parts?
With the EcoBoost Performance Pack, you will be getting the same brakes as the base GT. Although the base EcoBoost brakes are great, the Performance Pack brakes are much more responsive, and more confidence-inspiring. The sizing of these 2015 base GT brakes is the same as that of the outgoing 2014 Brembo brake package, just without the Brembo calipers (still awesome brakes, though!) Front/rear roll bars are upsized, with "grippy" type bushings to further fight body roll. Also, knuckles have cross-axis ball joints instead of rubber bushings (further helps handling).

Then comes the wheels/tires. They are 19" diameter by 9" wide. You may not go crazy over how the black wheels look, but they are wider and stiffer than any other base wheel, and come with excellent summer tires. Granted, summer tires aren't the best for wear but this tire is an aggressive compound, about 7/8ths of what the '12-13 Boss 302 (non-Laguna) tire was.

In conclusion, since it sounds like you are looking for the best-handling Mustang, I would strongly suggest getting the EcoBoost Performance Pack. The EcoBoost will be the best-handling, best-balanced (as long as you aren't comparing speed), and the Performance Pack makes it that much better.

Hope this helps!

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Personal preference I suppose. Wanna be set apart a bit from the rental car(V6) version and wanna get every bit of oem performance Ford is gonna offer. Rear end 3.55, should make it a tad quicker too. And my informal poll of about 30 people prolly 95% like the black wheels, me not so much, but again it will set me apart from the lemmings.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Allerick PM me, I'll hook you up with my dealer. Got mine for 3.25% under invoice.

deeps29

Bizarre Edition!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I was debating on same thing few weeks back but decided to go with PP. Reasons:
- I prefer stiffer rides. Suspension updates with PP will give me that.
- Cornering. PP updates will improve the cornering.
- Bigger brakes.
- I dont like the wheel in black but I still like the design on EB PP wheels and I want them.
- Gauges, they are not priority/requirement but I like them.

I figured suspension changes itself will cost me $2K or more if I do it after market. So I decided to go PP route.

OP, you can use PlastiDip (gunmetal color) on your wheels. I did that on my previous car's wheels and it looked really good. That was my first attempt and I did not do a good job and yet they looked pretty good. This solution is extremely cheap and easy to do if you want to change wheel's color. I might do it if I can't stand black wheels.

Sponsored

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Another reason to consider PP, resale value. Obviously better with it than without!

ShoNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Dodge Recall... I mean Avenger
My only bummer about the PP for eco is that I can't get the 50th anniv. wheels when packaged together AND I cant order a spare.

No idea why i cant order a spare since the wheel sizes aren't staggered like they are on the GT PP.

MikeAZ

DIB Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
No idea why i cant order a spare since the wheel sizes aren't staggered like they are on the GT PP.
I would guess the stagger is not the primary reason on the GTPP. It has more to do with clearance of the front brake calipers. However you can order a spare tire and wheel on the GT if you don't order the GTPP or the 20" Bright Machine Aluminum Wheels. The regular GT calipers are no larger than the EBPP calipers so it is hard to understand why the EBPP cannot have a SW&T. As far as that goes, it is also hard to understand why any model with the 20" wheels cannot have a SW&T.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
It could be for the reason that the slight increase in rolling radius on the 20" tires is just enough to put the differential rate that the minispare would create above a design threshold for the Traction-Lok. I'm just spit-balling here, but it's all I can think of.

Ryudo83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard EB PP 6-speed
For me, I cant leave well enough alone when it comes to modding so the PP was an easy choice for me. Granted i still want to drive an EB with and without before i make my purchse but, i like the idea of factory performance parts (fit and finish) and the value of it makes a whole lotta sense. The upgraded brakes and the 19" wheels are what sold me on it. So much value there
Sponsored