Sponsored

Thoughts on Ecoboost Performance Pack

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
I ordered the Eco Non PP, only because of the larger brakes and 19" wheels. I love the black 19" wheels, but they are 19" because the brakes must require that size to fit! Otherwise, why can't you get a spare tire with PP?
I would love the extra gauges, bigger radiator etc... But I'm not buying 19" snow tires at nearly $300 each! And a 19" wheel has a tiny sidewall. At least with a 17 or 18" wheel and snow tire there's a lot more options for stud less winter rather than "performance winter"
Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Allerick I see you hail from Baltimore so I am well familiar with the daily driving and seasonal conditions you will be encountering in that part of the Country to include the bump and grind traffic on 695, 295, 895, Route 40, and the occasional jaunt on 32 and Interstate 70. With all that being said, and with respects to my learned colleagues on this forum, I personally would opt for the E-B minus the Performance Package simply because as a daily commuter I would not get the full benefit out of it. Add to this that Maryland roads are notoriously slick in the winter (until the Governor's office gives the green light for the plows and salt/sand trucks to get going) and the wet, you would of course have to change your rubber from December through May (or garage the car and use another car as your winter commuter).

If on the other hand you have the luxur of using another dedicated vehicle for adverse weather driving then I say "YES" and go with the P/P but if not, I say keep it simple and go non...you can always add stickier rubber, quality springs, struts, braces, etc. if your situation changes.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Marc, as someone who has drove a 3 series BMW in Baltimore for the last 8 years , I would respectfully disagree. A RWD sports coupe as DD is more than doable. The only thing that has stopped me is the occasional heavy snow, and that usually shuts down the rest of terrified baltimorons. I think the summer tires on the PP would be the only real consideration on whether to get the PP. Personally I'm going to see how good , or not, they do this winter. Worse case I'll throw cheaper all seasons on to get me thru the rare bad winter around here.

OP
OP
Allerick

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the input. You have pointed out several things I haven't considered. Keep the thoughtful insight coming. I appreciate hearing both sides. I want to really think about the pros and cons. There are really good points on both sides. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I ordered the Eco Non PP, only because of the larger brakes and 19" wheels. I love the black 19" wheels, but they are 19" because the brakes must require that size to fit! Otherwise, why can't you get a spare tire with PP?
I would love the extra gauges, bigger radiator etc... But I'm not buying 19" snow tires at nearly $300 each! And a 19" wheel has a tiny sidewall. At least with a 17 or 18" wheel and snow tire there's a lot more options for stud less winter rather than "performance winter"

Actually I'm starting to think smaller wheels will fit on the ecoboost PP. They are the same brakes as the standard GT and the GT base comes with 18 inch wheels. Why the spare tire isn't allowed I don't know. Someone more knowledgeable feel free to clarify; I'll be getting the GT

Beyond the lack of spare tire 'supposedly' and the black-only wheels I'd think there is no reason not to get the PP on the ecoboost.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Since the EB PP brakes are the same as the base GT brakes, and the base GT comes with 18" wheels, there's no reason you couldn't run 18" winter wheels on an EB PP. I seriously considered going EB PP as a daily driver (would have gone AT as well, because turbos love ATs.)

An alternative approach (and one I may end up taking with my non-PP GT AT) is some light suspension upgrades, probably sway bars and end links. Sounds like the difference in spring rates between PP and non is mild, and the sway bar difference is only 1 mm, so it's not a great deal of stiffness that's being added. I will probably like the compliance of rubber bushings versus the extra ball joints; there IS such a thing as TOO harsh. (I built one that way once and could feel every acorn on the road. Not good.)

I am hopeful that the base suspension will be good for my sweeping-secondary road commute. If not, I'll be giving Maximum Motorsports yet another call, LOL.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My only problem with the PP, is that the performance pack brakes should be the standard brakes for the reg. EB-for a car that will be that fast/heavy.

The EB PP should have had the 6 piston brembos.
Sponsored