This is Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sorry - not that we need more political banter, but this is ridiculous. I am posting a Fox News link so I can’t be accused of posting a liberally influenced news source (hold your horses - I don’t agree with ANY mainstream media agenda). There doesn’t need to be a political swing on this - the facts state enough.

I would 100% support a good republican candidate, but I can’t support him because this is his theme.

His full focus is going to be “bringing down” or regulating social media platforms because he got offended he got fact checked and that he can’t take the heat of his decision to be a social media warrior and run his presidency through Twitter rants.

I understand the concept - Twitter fact checked him, not a user. Not the smartest move for a business, I agree, but if something non-factual was posted, who fucking cares? If Twitter fact checked Biden (who I also very much don’t support), would this happen? No. This is a personal fight based on an emotional response. That’s bias, folks.

Trump is saying it’s OK to limit free speech as long as it is beneficial for him and the conservative image, reputation and ability to speak out. This is a childish retaliation from the biggest war of his presidency. My favorite part is the name of this bill. I 100% support social media platforms taking responsibility for removing/banning hate speech, extremist views, etc... this is not an example of such.

I could really give two shits less about this, except the timing of this REALLY doesn’t look good.

Before you get offended, before you label me as having TEDS (far from it.. I just don’t support Trump) ask yourself this - did he give this much effort when COVID hit? Please join me in watching as HIS crusade unfolds as thousands continue to die from a lack of swift government action and denial that we had an invisible enemy working to take our country hostage.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...s-commission-to-probe-bias-amid-twitter-fight
Sponsored

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
He told an easily verifiable lie, something no sitting President should ever do, was warned ahead of time that the company would start fact-checking political statements, had his lie fact checked, and now he's attempting to abuse his authority to somehow punish the company that did nothing wrong legally. Isn't it conservatives that want less regulations on private companies? Isn't it conservatives that want private companies to be able to refuse service? This is another one of those 'imagine if Obama did this' things.

Obviously, there are far too many people to fact check, but when you have an influencer that reaches millions you should definitely fact check him/her. And in a situation like this we need to stop the spread of misinformation. Don't need to fan the flames of propaganda anymore, please and thanks.

Also, Trump has fomented violence many times on Twitter which is against their TOS, he should have been banned.

Edit: Just wait till DeepFakes technology gets better.

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I'd say they're getting what they (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) deserve. Who gives them the right to limit anyone's free speech. And, I think you are reading more into the article than what I read when you say, "Trump is saying it's OK to limit free speech as long as it is beneficial to him and the conservative image, reputation and ability to speak out."

If a person is too gullible to know not to believe everything they read on social media as being fact, then shame on them, not the person posting it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
I'd say they're getting what they (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) deserve. Who gives them the right to limit anyone's free speech.
They didn't limit his speech, they marked it as misinformation, didn't alter it in any way, and gave a footnote to factual information. They're a private company and are free to do as they please as long as they do no discriminate based on race, sex, etc. Funny how I bet you're for bakers refusing to bake a cake for gay marriage tho. Do as I say not as I do type of bullshit again.

It isn't limiting free speech, what Trump wants to do is limit free speech. Not surprising you don't understand the first amendment. Fact-checking Trump or anyone is not censorship nor is it limiting free speech.

If a person is too gullible to know not to believe everything they read on social media as being fact, then shame on them, not the person posting it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
This is hilarious coming from you. I've seen so much misinformation you've liked or posted, you'd give Trump and his 16,000 plus lies told during his presidency a run for his money.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
The most important thing about our right to free speech is that while have the right to say what you want, none of us have an obligation to listen. Nor are private companies obligated to allow your speech. Our 1st amendment guarantees that the GOVERNMENT will not infringe upon religion, free speech, free press, peaceful assembly, or the right to petition the government. It doesn't say anything about Twitter.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The most important thing about our right to free speech is that while have the right to say what you want, none of us have an obligation to listen. Nor are private companies obligated to allow your speech. Our 1st amendment guarantees that the GOVERNMENT will not infringe upon religion, free speech, free press, peaceful assembly, or the right to petition the government. It doesn't say anything about Twitter.
I don't disagree, but then they (private companies) don't need to be protected from liability if they choose to do so which is the whole crux of this situation.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I don't disagree, but then they (private companies) don't need to be protected from liability if they choose to do so which is the whole crux of this situation.
Cuts both ways. If they view a user as a liability, they aren't obligated to host that user. If a sitting president is going to outright lie, no private company has to give him a voice. It doesn't matter if you classify the platform as a "forum" or a "publisher". Social media is a privilege, not a right. Ironically, the executive order also might infringe upon Twitter's free speech rights. Part of free speech is that you can't be forced to say/publish things. The politicians of this country (all political parties, they are all scum) have worked very hard to make the corporations have the same rights as people. Funny how they don't like it when it bites them in the ass.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd say they're getting what they (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) deserve. Who gives them the right to limit anyone's free speech. And, I think you are reading more into the article than what I read when you say, "Trump is saying it's OK to limit free speech as long as it is beneficial to him and the conservative image, reputation and ability to speak out."

I don’t agree that it’s limiting free speech. If they removed it, or shut down his account, I would agree 100%. I also agree people put far too much into what’s read on social media and take it as fact. However, this is the POTUS in question - shouldn’t we get nothing but true and accurate information from him of all people?

The tricky part is Twitter is a corporation and not a person. I do agree that blurs the lines of “free speech”, but it could also as easily be considered “free speech” in the form of a political statement. That’s where I question his movement of “silencing” these platforms. China, North Korea also “silence”.

The action, while clearly humiliating to Trump, wasn’t damaging.

The bully can always dish it out, but when the tables turn they’re the first to cry about it and find a way to further retaliate. This is how I view Trump’s social media antics, respones to difficult questions not in his favor, etc.

Also true.

What does it say if the government is threatening to regulate/silence such companies (although they’re both publicly traded) out of retaliation? It just feels grimy.

What makes Twitter different than free press? It’s right to make a political statement?

All kind of lines are blurred with this. In my opinion this is opening a door to further infringements. We have laws against libel, slander, hate speech, etc. this falls under none of that. No one cares about this but Trump and those that drool over him like Pavlov’s dogs.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Forget the obvious clickbait title but here's a good video -

Great example.. our president is making America the circus sideshow of the world.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Twitter and social media are evil and left wing biased. They will do whatever they can to try to discredit Trump especially and the right in general.

Trump may not always be eloquent, but he is expressing what a lot of conservatives feel.

So many people stay off social media because it's the same as the MSM. Biased.

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
Twitter and social media are evil and left wing biased. They will do whatever they can to try to discredit Trump especially and the right in general.

Trump may not always be eloquent, but he is expressing what a lot of conservatives feel.

You can find an echo chamber of hate for either side on any platform.

There's a larger demography of 18-30-year-olds than there is of 45+ year-olds on social media so of course, you will see more left-wing ideas and topics. I'm not going to call any of the major ones inherently evil but yes places like 4chan certainly are. Trump does this to himself just as Biden does when people facepalm or make fun of him when he forgets where/who he is. I know plenty of large librarians and liberal influencers that get hate and threats in their DMs all the time and I'm sure it is the same for conservatives.

But these are places to trade ideas and discuss differences or just relate to one another and share photos and moments.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

I think the bigger picture is we need to GTFO social media as a society. It’s poison.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.