Sponsored

This is my first Mustang. How did your first make you feel?

ponyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP Ecoboost, 2013 Volvo XC60r-Design
My wife has been telling me to buy one for years..I finally listened.:headbonk:
Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I'll let you know, it's my first official as well. But my wife already suggested I install a rollcage so always listen to her. Always had several in the family and numerous customers.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
My current Mustang was the first car I ever bought new (a couple of weeks before my 30th birthday), and I like to think it's the only good decision I've ever made in my life.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
My current Mustang was the first car I ever bought new (a couple of weeks before my 30th birthday), and I like to think it's the only good decision I've ever made in my life.
You sound like you are married

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

Sponsored

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
Fast.

(I came from a 1977 Pontiac Firebird with a V6 automatic, so it WAS fast(er).) :)

oyitsagreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I came from a 2000 Ford Taurus (duratec , yo). So my 2011 V6 with the 3.7 felt like gold. Instant power and quick downshifts with decent handling. Love it and still do. Time to upgrade though ;)

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
Rough around the edges, brutal at times, easy at others, but amazing overall.

This is coming from a few years of no cars since I was living in Chicago. My first self bought transportation was a sportbike. After many track days I decided if I was going to buy a car it would be awd since I was tired of dealing with 1wd. So '09 audi A4 it was. Was actually a good time, but on to 2010 S4 manual. Faster than the A4, but having higher limits and that German numbness (refinement?) I was still lacking in the fun department. I wanted something more engaging, found reviews of the GT500, and it just so happened my same Audi dealer had an 11 svt from a trade in. One spin the tires at 50mph test drive in 30-40 degree weather (on stock badyears) and I was hooked. So, loud, brash, and unrefined, and I loved every minute owning it.

Sponsored

MikeSVTGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GTCS, 2015 LE #399
Mustang is the only car that has made smile everytime i get in it, this will be my 4th :)

MikeAZ

DIB Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Long story for those interested (and ancient history for some of you)...

My experience caused mixed feelings. I was in my last year of Electrical Engineering at UC in Cincinnati and already had a job offer in hand. The Mustang was being retooled for 1979 and after much research I decided to place an order for the Mustang's twin sister - the Mercury Capri. Same car, same options, only differences between them were the front and rear appearance and the Capri had fender flares.

I placed my order in late September of 1978 for a yellow Turbo RS at Castrucci Ford which was located on Colerain Avenue back then. I was given a six week delivery date after dropping a $100 deposit.

After about five weeks, I got a call from the dealer and was told Ford had issues with the TC3 turbo and suggested I change the order to a V8. I was pretty set on the turbo so I declined and left the order as is since I didn't need the car while still at the University. I called for updates about once a month after that and got the same story every time. I even called other dealerships and they confirmed the turbo supply issue.

At the end of March (1979), I left for Houston to finish my last co-op assignment before graduation. Within a few days I received a call that the car would finally be delivered in mid April. With that knowledge, I scheduled a flight back to Cincy to pick up the car and drive it back to Houston.

When I arrived at the dealership (after a bus ride from the hotel and carrying my travel belongings), I found that my salesman had been let go several months earlier. The person answering all my inquiries the previous months didn't think that was valuable knowledge I guess. The delivery of my car was assigned to another salesman and needless to say, he was not thrilled about it. He took me out to the car and came close to throwing the keys at me while complaining how he was making nothing on the car. He didn't offer to go over the features of the car or even stick around long enough to do a visual inspection. He left for the office and told me to come sign the paperwork when I was ready.

I looked over the car carefully and found a 4" dent at the back of the hood with buckled paint on the dent. The car was also very dirty, like it had been taken off the convoy truck and left untouched. I found nothing wrong in the interior but there were small pieces of plastic and paper strewn around - probably from removing shipping materials. The car started fine and all the electronics seemed to function so I headed back into the office.

Once there, I inquired about the dent and the untidiness of the car. The salesman told me that he was ordered to prep the car and he decided to do it in the parking lot. He claimed the dent in the hood came from the wind catching it when he opened it. The interior was not cleaned since he had no access to a vacuum in the lot. The reason the car wasn't washed was that they had too many other cars to prep and that they didn't believe I would show anyway.

I wasn't happy with the situation and asked him to bring in a manager. I complained about the condition of the car and the salesman's attitude and was given a choice. I could refuse delivery (but he pointed out that model year had already gone through a price increase and my car was locked in at a good price) or I could take the car as is and accept $50 to use for detailing and send them a bill from whatever body shop I decided to use to fix the dent. He also said he didn't blame the salesman for his attitude.

After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to take the car. Main reason was I did get a decent deal on it. Another reason was I was stranded in Cincinnati without a way back to Houston. I signed the paperwork and left the dealership.

Within a mile or two it was apparent that the car needed a timing adjustment. It was running very rich. You could cruise at a constant speed but anything other than slow acceleration was a non-starter. Being a Saturday, there were no Ford dealerships in the area with open service shops. The problem wasn't bad enough to warrant sticking around until Monday (more lodging fees and missing a day of work) or paying an independent shop to try and fix the issue.

I spent the rest of Saturday and most of Sunday nursing the car down to Houston with a short, in car, overnight snooze in a Little Rock Rodeway Inn's parking lot. Most of the trip was spent worrying about if I was damaging the car by driving it in that condition and just being totally upset with the dealership treatment.

I was able to get the car into a Ford dealership the following week in Houston and they quickly solved the performance issue. They were also kind enough to listen to how the dent came about in the hood and scheduled it to be fixed in their body shop at no charge. I don't know if they covered it as a warranty issue or if they billed the Cincy dealer.

All in all, I really enjoyed the car for the next five years with few issues and was glad I purchased it. Some clown in Houston stuck a piece of rebar out of a storm drain on a freeway u-turn which caused replacement of one of those super expensive Michelin TRX tires at about 500 miles.

My enjoyment of the car did change after about five years, however. At about 70K miles, one of the pistons had a valve punch through it. The shop that did the rebuild claimed stress from the turbo over time caused the failure. After the rebuild, the car would completely stop at random intervals due to shearing of the shaft key in the distributor. After about ten times of this over a year, a mechanic was finally able to diagnose that the distributor shaft was very slightly bent. Never had that issue again. On one occasion I had two of three starter motor bolts fall on the ground within a hundred feet - don't know if they vibrated loose or someone tried to steal the starter and couldn't loosen the third bolt.

So for the most part, I was happy with my '79 Capri but it had it's rocky moments. Looking back, I probably would have changed to the V8 if I had it to do over again.

Hope you found this entertaining. I notice there is still a Castrucci dealership in the Greater Cincinnati area but in a different location. Don't know if they are the same organization or related but don't hold this story against them.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
You know how you watch those nature shows and you see the lion walk out into the Serengeti. He looks around and knows that he pretty much rules the place. You know you're at the top of the food chain and all the other cars are antelope, to be chewed up at your whim. Yeah, it feels like that.

jakk

Threads
Reaction score
Long story for those interested (and ancient history for some of you)...
This is too funny (long story inbound). I went through a similar experience two years ago when I was graduating with a computer engineering degree. Had a job all lined up like you and decided to order a 2013 GT Premium/track pack/recaros. I emailed a bunch of dealerships, got them to compete between each other, and ended up placing the order for a bit under invoice.

Several months went by, and finally my car shipped 3 months after ordering. Then...it disappeared. I really don't know how else to put it lol. It got to IL, and then after that there was no information at all. This went on for several weeks, by this time it had been 5 months since I had placed the order.

I was kinda getting to the point where I needed a car (was driving my parents' until then), and every time I called ford or the dealership I was given the run around. They supposedly put me in touch with the regional shipping manager. Every time I called him, he was either "out to lunch" or on vacation or something. It was ridiculous. I didn;t believe that only ONE person handled all the shipping for the midwest and no one else could look the car up.

At this point, no one was giving me any information, everyone was telling me "we've never seen this", and I needed a car and was fed up, so I cancelled the order and got a mazdaspeed3 instead (which was the other car I really wanted, I had a hard time choosing).

Looking back, that ended up being a good decision on my part as it saved me $10k off the bat, and also because I drive 100 mi/day, and after buying the speed 3 new two years ago it already has 50k on it. It would have sucked to put that much mileage on a car that cost $10k more, including winters, etc.

6 months ago I found myself in a position to pick up the same car at a lower price with all of the rebates. I put in a deposit for one to be brought over from another dealer (white gt/premium/track pack/recaros). The last day before I was to take delivery, I found a used 2010 C6 corvette for around the same price, went to look at it, fell "head over heels" for it at the time, and bought it instead of the stang. Mplan was to pay it off and then supercharge it (same as I would have done with the stang).

Now, 6 months later, I have started to really regret that decision. The vette should be a superior car in every way, and I should be having a blast with it, but I look at it and I realize that I have been wanting a 13-14 5.0. for two years and I could have had a brand new one. On top of that I think I overpaid for the vette as well so I kinda feel like a dunce.

I really have no interest in the 15s as I like the solid axle (drag racing) and styling of the 13-14s. So, no I am contemplating if I really want to keep this vette and build it out or not. On the one hand with the light weight, if I supercharge it to 600-650 whp (very doable on the LS3/TR6060), it should do real well against other cars in its class due to the weight advantage. On the other hand, I am finding that the IRS is kind of fragile and perhaps not the best for my goals of a street/strip car. Plus, it's not a 13-14 5.0 looks wise.

So, here I am debating if I should keep the C6, or if I should look at trading it on a 11-14 GT500, which was my "dream car" and now that I am looking at used ones (mainly 11-12), more affordable than I realized. Trading the C6 on a used GT500 would likely cost me about the same or maybe a bit less as supercharging the C6 with supporting parts.

Anyways, mainly wanted to mention my first buying experience as it sounded similar to yours.

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
When I was 17 I bought a 1986 5.0LX automatic convertible. Was the worst car I ever owned. I haven't owned an American car since. This streak will come to an end early next year and I am excited to try out the mustang once again.
Sponsored