There are no words…

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
My son is 16 and doesn't really have much interest in driving (yet). He also said that should I die tomorrow, he would not want to drive the Mustang. He knows 750hp is something you work your way up to; you don't just jump in and spin down the street cause you got a piece of plastic saying you can drive.

Hopefully, I've instilled some respect for vehicles of this level of power. Any car can be dangerous but if you put an inexperienced driver behind 460hp you are going to have major problems. Put one behind 750hp and you are going to have nightmare results.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
One of the tracks around here has a 1 day session designed for teenage drivers (must have your license first) that is a combination of classroom and driving where they put you loss of control situations and teach you how to properly recover. I plan to enroll both my kids when they’re of age. I don’t want them to be fearful of a high horsepower car, but I want them to respect it and not panic if they get in a loss of control situation. That said, neither one of them will be driving my car until I’m comfortable (and they’re comfortable) that they properly respect it and it’s capabilities. Autobahn CC is the track I’m referring to for those that are familiar with the Chicago area. I would assume other places around the country have som similar.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
One of the tracks around here has a 1 day session designed for teenage drivers (must have your license first) that is a combination of classroom and driving where they put you loss of control situations and teach you how to properly recover. I plan to enroll both my kids when they’re of age. I don’t want them to be fearful of a high horsepower car, but I want them to respect it and not panic if they get in a loss of control situation. That said, neither one of them will be driving my car until I’m comfortable (and they’re comfortable) that they properly respect it and it’s capabilities. Autobahn CC is the track I’m referring to for those that are familiar with the Chicago area. I would assume other places around the country have som similar.
I'm considering taking that a step further with my son. Maybe I'll take him to the track and pay to have him professionally instructed in my Mustang. Then, on occasion, we can go to the track, and he can have some fun in a controlled environment. Maybe the experience will help demonstrate the difference from public roads, which are inherently hazardous, and the wrong place to be "having fun."

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I'm considering taking that a step further with my son. Maybe I'll take him to the track and pay to have him professionally instructed in my Mustang. Then, on occasion, we can go to the track, and he can have some fun in a controlled environment. Maybe the experience will help demonstrate the difference from public roads, which are inherently hazardous, and the wrong place to be "having fun."
I love this idea. Having a kid professionally trained would be expensive but what is the cost of your child's life or someone else's? I was lucky I survived some of the stupid shit I have done in my life and that was with machines that were far less powerful than the one I fly today.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I love this idea. Having a kid professionally trained would be expensive but what is the cost of your child's life or someone else's? I was lucky I survived some of the stupid shit I have done in my life and that was with machines that were far less powerful than the one I fly today.
95 bucks is not that expensive, and as of last weekend they still had few open spots. You can still send your son and by looking out of the window it's going to be some nice weather:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...n-tire-motorsport-park-ddt-rack-street-754643

This should be the first step IMO before you let him out on real track, even with instructor. The HPDE instructed weekends are not crazy either. $600 something CAD, but totally worth it. But this is real stuff.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Wish my parents would have paid for me to be trained on how to handle cars.

Also for the parents here, if your kid wants to go fast and do dumb shit they are going to do it no matter what the car. It could be my 500hp mustang or my mom's 230-hp BMW. Think I've been just as close to crashing in the BMW as in the mustang.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Wish my parents would have paid for me to be trained on how to handle cars.

Also for the parents here, if your kid wants to go fast and do dumb shit they are going to do it no matter what the car. It could be my 500hp mustang or my mom's 230-hp BMW. Think I've been just as close to crashing in the BMW as in the mustang.
While I agree with you for the most part, @wynand32 has a good idea. If my son (my daughter isn’t really into cars and she’s really not a fan of the Stang) wants to go fast, I’ll happily pay for him to go to the track. I think if you’re willing to provide them a controlled environment to go fast, they’re less likely to want to do it elsewhere. Peer pressure is tough and we all did stupid stuff growing up, especially with our friends around, but I do believe if they feel they have an opportunity to actually do some racing/higher speed stuff in a controlled setting, they’re less likely to jeopardize that by doing it on the street. That’s my hope anyway.

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Yeah I did a bunch of stupid stuff when I was younger too, so who am I to judge. But the big difference is cars today are much faster than what most of us had back then. My first car was V8, but an anemic 2bbl 318 in a beat up Plymouth Furry sedan. The car was all but indestructible, but by no means was it a speed demon. If I had a 460HP V8 (or even a 310HP turbo 4) in a relatively lightweight car back then I am not sure I would be here typing this today.

Last edited:

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
While I agree with you for the most part, @wynand32 has a good idea. If my son (my daughter isn’t really into cars and she’s really not a fan of the Stang) wants to go fast, I’ll happily pay for him to go to the track. I think if you’re willing to provide them a controlled environment to go fast, they’re less likely to want to do it elsewhere. Peer pressure is tough and we all did stupid stuff growing up, especially with our friends around, but I do believe if they feel they have an opportunity to actually do some racing/higher speed stuff in a controlled setting, they’re less likely to jeopardize that by doing it on the street. That’s my hope anyway.
Yes having the ability to go to a track will definitely help. Unfortunately, they are shutting down the only drag strip near me, and since I can't find any place that will offer insurance at a drag strip not much of an option for me anyway... Need to have a dedicated drag car haha.

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Wow. WOW.

I’m still trying to figure out the physics of the debris field and how in the world anyone survived that. Those cars landed so far from one another and look like they were legit blown up. How horrifyingly sad for the people that probably never saw that car coming…I’m just stunned.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Not to nitpick saw nothing to write home about, lots of shrapnel but that was it. Nothing graphic..nothing that could be called out as "disturbing for some to watch. "
Maybe not, but out of respect for the families of those involved, I decided to stop watching after just a few seconds. I started to watch, but then thought to myself how I might feel if one of my daughters was in one of those cars and everyone was gawking at the wreckage.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Wow. WOW.

I’m still trying to figure out the physics of the debris field and how in the world anyone survived that. Those cars landed so far from one another and look like they were legit blown up. How horrifyingly sad for the people that probably never saw that car coming…I’m just stunned.
Yes, people should understand there is a time and place to go fast, random street roads, and 2 lane highways with no boundary between you and oncoming traffic are not the place. Killing yourself is one thing, killing other random people is another.

Always see these horrible situations with people going way too fast on roads they really shouldn't.

Saw this video of some guy in a Lamborghini SUV going 100+ on a street road, middle of the day, through traffic lights, and some woman turned out in front of him and I think she died.
Sponsored