Sponsored

There are no words…

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
Not to nitpick saw nothing to write home about, lots of shrapnel but that was it. Nothing graphic..nothing that could be called out as "disturbing for some to watch. "
Not to nitpick, but what is disturbing to you and what is disturbing to "some" are different things.
If someone had lost a family member or close friend to a motor vehicle accident, seeing that level of destruction/debris could be disturbing.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
No words.............

150? Going the wrong way? Drunk? High? Stupid? Stolen Car? Gift from parents? In excusable.............

I absolutely drove way to fast when I was a kid, had a Buick Wildcat with a 455, then a Cutlass 442 in high school and college, routinely ran in triple digits speeds, but NOT in crowded areas, not with intersections, or cross streets or homes. Why? I did NOT want to hurt or kill someone or myself. Did I drive to fast? YUP, did I treat the Belt Parkway like an F-1 racetrack? YUP..... But I guess I was raised with respect for others and some common sense.....

As for the whole 'warning thing' yes we have made a society of limp wristed weenies and mentally and emotionally weak people. We also have an extremely litigious society of said weenies, and scammers who will claim to be traumatized, and because Tort laws favor the unscrupulous, they have to protect themselves.

This schmuck should not have survived........

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
disagree. the literature is quite clear as are the clinical psychologists who attest to the benefits of actually dealing with things you don't like rather than running from them.
I answered this already. Clinical psychologists will refer to CBT, which is a specific therapeutic process and not a bumper sticker.

its a field of debris, dude, not a pile of bodies.
You undercut your argument here. Why would it matter if it were a pile of bodies and not just debris? Or is there some acceptable range of what's disturbing in such a scene, and you're the arbiter?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I answered this already. Clinical psychologists will refer to CBT, which is a specific therapeutic process and not a bumper sticker.
see that's funny because you understand the principle then act as if i'm trivializing it in order to prop up the false idea that only people that charge by the hour have the corner on the "helping people face their fears" market.

I'm a husband and a father, that's basically most of my job description.

you don't teach children to not be afraid. you should teach them to be brave.

same goes for adults. same goes for adults who've suffered terrible things.

You undercut your argument here. Why would it matter if it were a pile of bodies and not just debris? Isn't someone a "pussy" if they're bothered by the sight of dead bodies? Or is there some acceptable range of what's disturbing in such a scene, and you're the arbiter?
uh oh, you're talking about nuance now so we're gonna have to point that out, buddy.

for a trigger warning? it doesn't.

it certainly doesn't mean you're a decent person.

weakness is not a virtue.

but keep pretending like the weak culture tha tproduced the weak boy who murdered three people with his weakness is somehow going to be resolved my teaching people to be weak.

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
see that's funny because you understand the principle then act as if i'm trivializing it in order to prop up the false idea that only people that charge by the hour have the corner on the "helping people face their fears" market.
It seems like you're happy to refer to "people who charge by the hour" when you think their studies support your premise, but you're unable to accept the idea that they might provide important expertise and support in making it through a very difficult process. I suspect, though, that you have no inkling of what that process can entail.

But this debate has become pointless.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
It seems like you're happy to refer to "people who charge by the hour" when you think their studies support your premise, but you're unable to accept the idea that they might provide important expertise and support in making it through a very difficult process. I suspect, though, that you have no inkling of what that process can entail.
no you don't get to start moving goal posts.
i prefer to follow the science because truth is helpful to people.
you're arguing to the contrary.

another source pointing out the dangers of trigger warnings:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0005791618301137

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
no you don't get to start moving goal posts.
i prefer to follow the science because truth is helpful to people.
you're arguing to the contrary.

another source pointing out the dangers of trigger warnings:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0005791618301137
Okay, I know I said this debate had become pointless, but now you're starting to crack me up.

You do realize that "the science" in this case is produced by psychologists, right? They're the same ones who will tell you that there's a specific process to "helping people overcome their fears" if you're talking about people with issues like PTSD, OCD, and the like. It's those people who I referred to in an earlier comment to differentiate from the general population.

You want to draw on the authority of psychologists but reject their importance at the same time.

Next, I'm fairly certain that the second study you linked is the same one as the first study you linked. At least, I'm 99% certain that the study was done by the same group. But regardless, note that it says this:

Limitations
The sample included only non-traumatized participants; the observed effects may differ for a traumatized population.
In case you're not comprehending the importance, "traumatized population" means people suffering from things like PTSD. Which is, if I need to say it again, who I've been talking about.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
A few hundred years ago we had to worry about marauders coming and wiping out your village. Real stress.

We are a bunch of Nancy boys in this Country. The typical American would not survive in most of the world.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
A few hundred years ago we had to worry about marauders coming and wiping out your village. Real stress.

We are a bunch of Nancy boys in this Country. The typical American would not survive in most of the world.
Sad part is, it’s only going to get even more soft over time.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
About as stupid as driving 150 mph is running red lights. I've seen a lot of this lately here in Texas. Not sure why. Maybe it's since red light cameras were taken down a while back or maybe because we've had a lot of transplants from other states. Either way, it is extremely dangerous and plain stupid. A friend of mine lost a daughter over the summer to a red light runner. She was 22. Spend just a little time around a parent who has lost a child and it will put your head in the right place. Honestly, I wish I could kick ppl's a** when I see them doing this. They do it because they want to save a minute and a half.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Wow, this thread took quite the turn!

I do not know anything about trigger words, or PTSD, or psychology. But I do know that there are families out there that are in a tremendous amount of pain right now, and voyeurs gawking at footage of the accident scene is only likely to add to that pain.

Finally, I also know that publicly calling out weakness, especially through denigration is never a sign of strength (even if it is true).

When did it become OK to throw basic decency and respect out the window?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
@ay1820 what is decent and respectful about harming people? i would rather be kind than nice, there is a difference and this subject is a perfect example of that.

Okay, I know I said this debate had become pointless, but now you're starting to crack me up.

You do realize that "the science" in this case is produced by psychologists, right? They're the same ones who will tell you that there's a specific process to "helping people overcome their fears" if you're talking about people with issues like PTSD, OCD, and the like. It's those people who I referred to in an earlier comment to differentiate from the general population.

You want to draw on the authority of psychologists but reject their importance at the same time.

Next, I'm fairly certain that the second study you linked is the same one as the first study you linked. At least, I'm 99% certain that the study was done by the same group. But regardless, note that it says this:
i'm not appealing to any authority, actually. what I'm doing is backing up my observations/claims with literature from professionals actually working in this field of study. its corroborative testimony, essentially, because you've already agreed that in principle i'm right but then went on to make the nonsensensical argument of "BUT ITS A PROCESS NOT A BUMPER STICKER" whatever the hell that means.

this biggest problem here is you want to argue but don't have an argument.

"BUT ITS A PROCESS NOT A BUMPER STICKER" is not an argument, that is a vague assertion.

In case you're not comprehending the importance, "traumatized population" means people suffering from things like PTSD. Which is, if I need to say it again, who I've been talking about.
here's another article with sources for you to ignore.

https://neurosciencenews.com/trigger-warnings-ptsd-memory-18412/

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
When people on here brag about street racing, THIS is why I tell them they're fucking morons. THIS is why it's stupid.
I don't know, but I doubt driving the wrong way down a roadway at high speed is connected to street racing. but you do you.
I pray for the families of those in the other vehicle and the person in hospital from that vehicle. The driver, made a huge bonehead move. No question. but many of us made bonehead moves at 16-18y/o . Sadly many forgot what they pulled.
If they were in a Camry you'd not care, it be just another news story of a teen speeding/wrecking etc.

I hope the judge throws the book at the driver of the vehicle that caused the wreck. And does so as an adult.
This will be unpopular comment, but I think and have since I was 16 that , you should have to be driving for at least 5 years and then take a performance drivers ed class before you are allowed to have 250 hp or more under your right foot.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
...I doubt driving the wrong way down a roadway at high speed is connected to street racing.
Oh, you want to play the semantics game.

How about we just stick to the physics game, and acknowledge it doesn't fucking matter whether you're driving the right or wrong way down a street, when you strike another vehicle at 150MPH?
Sponsored