Sponsored

The wheels are falling off...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Why is it so difficult to do the same thing for 2022/2023 engines that was done for 2020/2021? Is it a UAW thing, were there process changes...what? This is getting ridiculous. We've talked about valve cover issues elsewhere but this first one I have to share was issued today. The second "mess" deals with a soft plug leak issue. These are added to the list of other ongoing problems with an engine that you'd think was sorted out by now.
Sponsored

Attachments

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Sweet. Under the wire.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And who says owning the first model year of a new car is a bad thing?

Oh, and the UAW workers want a raise?

Anyone remember the quality issues in the 20 GT500s?

A bunch of people who don't care except for when it's lunch or time to go home.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs

Don't forget the smoke breaks.

Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino

I was always told Wednesdays are the best days when it comes to production but then again, I never worked on an assembly line.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Union workers don't make the parts that are not made to spec. But don't let that get in the way , and most likely don't make the instalation tooling either.
So when they see two mismatched seats and instead of flagging the car they say 'fuck it'.. who's fault is that ?

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
So when they see two mismatched seats and instead of flagging the car they say 'fuck it'.. who's fault is that ?
The shift manager that said install them, then the inspection manager that said SEND IT.
You clearly have never worked on a line, or worked EVER.
The minons union or not, do what the manager, management tell them.
But it is EASIER to use the minons as a target, bonus if they happen to be union, RIGHT!!.
Not the manager that told them to keep the line moving and SEND IT!
Q/C at FORD is a MANAGEMENT PROBLEM. They send the units out the door.
The HOURLY peon checks off the issues and notes them on the inspection sheet, As it getting fixed adds hours to their pay, management makes the call to IGNORE the Inspection Q/C issues and tell them to SEND IT.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The second "mess" deals with a soft plug leak issue.
All I can say Tob is, UFB.
Yeah at least the first TSB is a fix, that second one seems like a band aid at best, and very reliant on the tech doing it 100% correctly / conscientiously AND the product being 100% reliable on a fix of that nature.

I'm not sure how all that can be guaranteed on a difficult to access area, on a car that's had some road time, on a core plug that's got coolant on the back of it (and potentially weeping - based on the nature of the TSB ?) ...

Based on the user instructions for 290, there are some definite challenges with a repair of this nature :

1695280427837.png

Yeah there are defo pros and cons either way.

Early years - potential product and assembly teething problems.

Later years - cost savings (let's be nice and call it 'value engineering') and assembly complacency.

Without the experience of time, no one truly knows which is going to be the bigger pain in the arse for the end user ... :frown:

WD :like:

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
You would be amazed at how much is assembled by non manufacturer hands. I deliver to a stellantis plant for work. The engines, transmission, dash, axles, ect all come to the plant completely assembled in what is called a sub assembly. That way at the line its just a few bolts and electrical connections and it goes down the line.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You would be amazed at how much is assembled by non manufacturer hands. I deliver to a stellantis plant for work. The engines, transmission, dash, axles, ect all come to the plant completely assembled in what is called a sub assembly. That way at the line its just a few bolts and electrical connections and it goes down the line.
Yeah I managed to get myself on a tour of the Jaguar Land Rover plant at Halewood (everywhere other than paintshop) and that was a very interesting night.

Through work, I have also had the need to go into one of the JLR sub assembly suppliers (interior trim and fittings for the Evoque) and also multiple JCB facilities.

There's not a high proportion of my work that I truly enjoy, but I really enjoy stuff like that ... :sunglasses:

WD :like:
Sponsored