Sponsored

The beginning of the end for the Mustang?

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Here's another story on the Mach-E, with an interesting and scary take:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...-end-to-the-traditional-mustang/#more-1694244

I hope this isn’t the Ford Probe 1980's all over again, with the ‘Mach-E’ being another foolish idea from Jim Hackett to slowly replace the Mustang with yet another SUV-abomination, this one combined with his ‘electric’ vision of the future.

Hackett has already gutted Ford by eliminating passenger cars from the US market. Leave the Mustang alone for what it is - an iconic American pony car.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

There are just too many consumers here that couldn't care less about driving dynamics, image, or heritage, and want to sit up high and live under the false impression that they're safer in something bigger and taller. Look what Mitsubishi crapped out with the Eclipse name stuck on it. It couldn't be further from the iconic, sporty, AWD rocket it started out as (I had a Talon TSi AWD in 1991). That is nothing but a slap in the face, as will the Mustang's replacement if Ford follows the examples of others. The Challenger can't go on forever in its current guise, and as far as I'm concerned, GM is carving Camaro's headstone right now. I hope Ford sees the future hole in the market that only this car will be around to fill, if they allow it. Sporty coupes keep coming and going out of our lives, for different reasons each time. I really hate the reason this time. If I never see another new CUV come to market, it'll be too soon.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The story maybe nearer the truth than any of us want it to be.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There are just too many consumers here that couldn't care less about driving dynamics, image, or heritage, and want to sit up high and live under the false impression that they're safer in something bigger and taller. Look what Mitsubishi crapped out with the Eclipse name stuck on it. It couldn't be further from the iconic, sporty, AWD rocket it started out as (I had a Talon TSi AWD in 1991). That is nothing but a slap in the face, as will the Mustang's replacement if Ford follows the examples of others. The Challenger can't go on forever in its current guise, and as far as I'm concerned, GM is carving Camaro's headstone right now. I hope Ford sees the future hole in the market that only this car will be around to fill, if they allow it. Sporty coupes keep coming and going out of our lives, for different reasons each time. I really hate the reason this time. If I never see another new CUV come to market, it'll be too soon.
To me it would at least be different if it felt like Ford was TRYING with performance SUV's but the Edge and Explorer ST suck. The Edge ST should have the Explorer ST's engine and the Explorer should have a tweaked version of the Raptors. the SRT8 SUV's just show has lazy Ford is.

Heck recently I looked up the performance numbers from a Typhoon vs the Edge ST. The Typhoon wins in almost all categories, except skid-pad and braking. And that is using early 90's tech. I wouldn't be amazed if you put modern disc brakes and a modern wheel/tire combo on the typhoon if it would have wiped the floor with the ST in EVERY category.

It is as if they are just TRYING to be as bland as possible while trying to keep up the appearance of performance.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
maxresdefault.jpg

50BMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020GT A10 PP1, SPF AC Cobra, Fusion Sport, Ram 4X
Well, it wasn't too long ago that somebody high up in Ford announced:

"Within' 10 years, Ford will only be making 1 or 2 model of cars, they will be a self driving type, and we (Ford) will own every one of them".
(My assumption about this statement was that self driving vehicles may be the only "legal" ones on the road at that time and that we all will pay for the rights to have a car "on call" when we need it; we won't actually have ownership in them).

I know, sound kinda futuristic and "conspiracy like", but why do you think there is such a push for this 5G network by large corporations, especially the big-tech firms? I am told that the whole self driving vehicle initiative is nearly impossible without 5G.
Heck, I have self driving vehicle testing going on right outside my office on a daily basis. They do pretty well, but not nearly as well as when everything we own is part of the "internet of things".

Maybe this no Mustang type vehicle IS just the beginning of the end, of ALL of them???
Imagine the day when they tell us our collector cars (or today's Mustangs) can only be self driving to certain "events" or on certain roads?
It's all for our own safety, right?
LoL...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Well, it wasn't too long ago that somebody high up in Ford announced:

"Within' 10 years, Ford will only be making 1 or 2 model of cars, they will be a self driving type, and we (Ford) will own every one of them".
(My assumption about this statement was that self driving vehicles may be the only "legal" ones on the road at that time and that we all will pay for the rights to have a car "on call" when we need it; we won't actually have ownership in them).

I know, sound kinda futuristic and "conspiracy like", but why do you think there is such a push for this 5G network by large corporations, especially the big-tech firms? I am told that the whole self driving vehicle initiative is nearly impossible without 5G.
Heck, I have self driving vehicle testing going on right outside my office on a daily basis. They do pretty well, but not nearly as well as when everything we own is part of the "internet of things".

Maybe this no Mustang type vehicle IS just the beginning of the end, of ALL of them???
Imagine the day when they tell us our collector cars (or today's Mustangs) can only be self driving to certain "events" or on certain roads?
It's all for our own safety, right?
LoL...
I truly believe we would be better off if many people got self driving cars because they can't drive worth a shit. Or maybe you have to do more than pass an easy test and have a pulse to get a driver's license in the US. In Germany you have to pass requirements such as:

• a mandatory eight-hour first aid course
  • a minimum of 37 hours of instruction
  • passing two exams (theoretical and practical) (Harder than the tests in the US)
  • a cost of over $2,000

Why can't the US implement something like this... A drivers license in the US feels more like a right than a privilege. In my eyes driving is a privilege.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I truly believe we would be better off if many people got self driving cars because they can't drive worth a shit. Or maybe you have to do more than pass an easy test and have a pulse to get a driver's license in the US. In Germany you have to pass requirements such as:

• a mandatory eight-hour first aid course
  • a minimum of 37 hours of instruction
  • passing two exams (theoretical and practical) (Harder than the tests in the US)
  • a cost of over $2,000

Why can't the US implement something like this... A drivers license in the US feels more like a right than a privilege. In my eyes driving is a privilege.
Instead of people having to pay for all the safety stuff we have, like 40 airbags, lane keep, auto braking and sensors keeping up with other cars. Ya know, stuff that I have to pay extra for, just to turn off because OTHER people on the road are unable to properly drive...

I don't get why we never made drivers tests harder. In the US our test is so weak that its a joke compared to other countries. Why do we not have to re-test ever 4yrs when we need to renew? Why do we not find a way to FORCE the police to do their job ticketing illegal moves on the road? Every day I see people cutting lanes, no signals, swerving, literally in front of police, only for them to ONLY pull over the loud cars or people doing WELL over the speed limit. Never mind the lady doing make-up while on a cellphone.

I utterly hate that I am forced to pay more just because we never looked into a way to FORCE idiots to be smart or be off the roads.

That's just an issue I have with America over all. We enable idiots, at the expense of others. Then wonder why so many people are fucking stupid. We allow them to be.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
"And just as Americans have given up their convertibles, luxury coupes, station wagons, and minivans before, so too will they give up their pony cars."

And the Ranchero/El Camino/Brat/Baja/Holden Ute class of vehicle, that I really wanted as my first car and still kinda do today.

I'm all for a performance-versioned AWD EV Mustang, but a car, not a truck/SUV/CUV/XYZUV/whatever.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
SUV's and trucks pollute our roads like water in gasoline, can't stand a single one of them.

TC