Sponsored

The beginning of the end for the Mustang?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hackett is nothing but a Hack...

Heā€™s already upset a shit ton of people due to the recent Explorer fiasco... and apparently the money Ford vested in the Chicago plant didnā€™t do diddly if they have to ship Explorers over to Flat Rock to be fixed...

Thereā€™s a 48% decline in Explorer sales because of all the issues:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...ckrbedbxfeqvjeyocwi-story.html?outputType=amp

Ford needs to level the playing field and push him out.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I truly believe we would be better off if many people got self driving cars because they can't drive worth a shit. Or maybe you have to do more than pass an easy test and have a pulse to get a driver's license in the US. In Germany you have to pass requirements such as:

• a mandatory eight-hour first aid course
  • a minimum of 37 hours of instruction
  • passing two exams (theoretical and practical) (Harder than the tests in the US)
  • a cost of over $2,000

Why can't the US implement something like this... A drivers license in the US feels more like a right than a privilege. In my eyes driving is a privilege.
Because Texas is the size of Germany. The US has so much more land mass and so much more sprawl that driving is a necessity here. Many larger cities in the US don't even have public transportation that the average European would say is adequate.

Take Denver for example. I can either drive 30 minutes to work or I can drive 15 minutes to the train station, wait 5 minutes, get on a train for another 10, walk another 6 to my office.

Even when I lived across the street from the train station it was still faster and cheaper for me to drive to my office.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If we have a Mustang SUV why not a Lincoln sports car.
image.jpg
I dig that and could see future me driving it.

I donā€™t think this is the beginning of the end. Thereā€™s always going to be a market for a sports coupe. I think the Mustang name for Ford has done a big share of keeping afloat. It survived the cutting of all other US based Ford cars. I think the Mach E symbolizes the future direction of mainstream production vehicles but I donā€™t think itā€™s the stake in the heart of the Mustang as we know it.

Either way - I need to buy my old Focus ST back, get a Focus RS, restore my 00 GT and go find an older Jeep XJ or WJ and a truck to ride out the carpocolypse hahaha.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Talk about a knee jerk reaction.....guys relax, self driving mania will not affect most of us (40 or older) until we are really too old to want to drive a Mustang every day. Our kids and their kids will need to deal with it. Yes, it probably will come, but it is a long ways off. Our real worry should be no more ICE cars, that will happen before self driving is close to mainstream.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
SUV's and trucks pollute our roads like water in gasoline, can't stand a single one of them.TC
Just so you realize my 2016 GT gets worse gas (17-18mpg average) mileage then my 2018 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0L (20-22mpg average). Just saying...

Back to the post topic..
I think Ford is in danger of diluting the Mustang image. I think making a Mustang themed CUV isnt necessary. There is a huge possible downside to the Mustang badge/image if employed on a CUV. Please respect the 55 year heritage Ford!

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Here's another story on the Mach-E, with an interesting and scary take:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...-end-to-the-traditional-mustang/#more-1694244

I hope this isnā€™t the Ford Probe 1980's all over again, with the ā€˜Mach-Eā€™ being another foolish idea from Jim Hackett to slowly replace the Mustang with yet another SUV-abomination, this one combined with his ā€˜electricā€™ vision of the future.

Hackett has already gutted Ford by eliminating passenger cars from the US market. Leave the Mustang alone for what it is - an iconic American pony car.
Bro the second they made the gt350 I knew it was the beginning of the end. Its a Damn shame. The problem though is car guys just don't have the raw numbers on their side to compete with the sockermom crowd. And ford at the end of the day is in it to sell cars.

Personally id go ahead and buy a couple of these cars and keep them running in good condition because I guarantee the s550 and s197 will become classics.

The s550 is already an icon.

If you can afford a GT500 or GT350 you need to get one

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you realize my 2016 GT gets worse gas (17-18mpg average) mileage then my 2018 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0L (20-22mpg average). Just saying...

Back to the post topic..
I think Ford is in danger of diluting the Mustang image. I think making a Mustang themed CUV isnt necessary. There is a huge possible downside to the Mustang badge/image if employed on a CUV. Please respect the 55 year heritage Ford!
I agree but Fords past is full of examples of taking a name plate and deluding it in the name of sales. Four door Thunderbird, station wagon Cougar to name a couple so a four door Mustang could be a real possibility No I do not want to see a 4 door or suv Mustang.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
i think the mach-e is likely to be a marketting failure like the Harley davidson live-wire... I think Ford's misunderstanding the market and its gonna bite them.

The fuel drinking, clutch burning muscle car head is Who buys a mustang these guys aren't going to buy a mach-e...

Electric cars are for nerdy techy vanilla chai latte, kinda sorta car guy types... These people are gonna buy teslas...they made this car a SUV but are trying to market it as a "performance" vehicle... i don't understand who exactly they're targeting.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
i think the mach-e is likely to be a marketting failure like the Harley davidson live-wire... I think Ford's misunderstanding the market and its gonna bite them.

The fuel drinking, clutch burning muscle car head is Who buys a mustang these guys aren't going to buy a mach-e...

Electric cars are for nerdy techy vanilla chai latte, kinda sorta car guy types... These people are gonna buy teslas...they made this car a SUV but are trying to market it as a "performance" vehicle... i don't understand who exactly they're targeting.
The mach e is targeted at Millennials who are Climate Huggers but want a suv but don't want to feel guilty buying a ICE powered suv. As long as Ford doesn't F up the launch and the Mach e has good quality I think it could be very successful and start to erode Tesla sales. I would predict that if this launch is screwed up Hackett will be gone.

Deleted member 35786

The air is getting dirtier, the planet warmer as the human population approaches 8 billion. EV's will be common place in ten years on the roads, its a change us Mustang owners are having a hard time coming to grips with. But it is inevitable. Enjoy it while we can folks..

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The air is getting dirtier, the planet warmer as the human population approaches 8 billion. EV's will be common place in ten years on the roads, its a change us Mustang owners are having a hard time coming to grips with. But it is inevitable. Enjoy it while we can folks..
The problem isn't with EVs becoming commonplace. It's concern for the further downstream possibility where there might not be any alternative. Where you'd be stuck driving what other people want you to be driving, and paying for the "privilege".

How long do you suppose it'll take from the time EVs own almost all of the new vehicle market before the high performance potential that exists today (currently the big selling point toward "car enthusiasts") gets refined out of them in the name of energy conservation?

Norm
Sponsored