FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Why not replace with a straight section of pipe instead of gutting cats, or weld in a deflector like a lollipop (AKA Thunder Torque Inserts) which is said to make more power on motorcycles? Not sure if the same concept would work with car exhaust, but if one is experimenting, it may be worth a try. It’s basically like afixed active exhaust valve. You set it to the position you want and run it.

1620521739573.jpeg
motorcycle valves in the exhaust, they are claimed for more torque downlow with flapper partially closed, however.. it is mostly for noise emission compliances.

I have sport bikes, several of them, ive done test with flappers locked open and or removed, vs fully intact, in both scenarios on full tunes.

didn't notice any real differences, but I actually leave the flapper operational now. because- I like the bike a little quiet when putting around and when I go balls out, the flapper is open anyway. but for power reasons, I never felt a difference on any of the bikes.

my current bike, fully flashed, de catted, and flapper is in place, fully operational. a little toned down volume when just cruising, and when I gun it, I get my volume.

majority, (all of them) remove the flapper servo, or lock it open. because moarrrr loudness is faster to mostly everyone.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
can you cut the pipe section out (catted), and put straight pipe? keep the cats put away, if emissions ever came back to bite us in the ass, literally, unclamp, and clamp cats back in.

that is what I would do but im a worry wart, with all the commotion going on with EPA

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
We gutted out my destroyed Kooks cats pretty easily. You can also just weld in a piece of straight pipe as well.

D4DDF799-C771-4C1C-8D04-D7B6428EE665.jpeg
What caused your high flow cats fo fail? Were there any warning signs leading up to the failure?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
What caused your high flow cats fo fail? Were there any warning signs leading up to the failure?
Too much heat, power etc over time. Also caused a ring land failure.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
can you cut the pipe section out (catted), and put straight pipe? keep the cats put away, if emissions ever came back to bite us in the ass, literally, unclamp, and clamp cats back in.

that is what I would do but im a worry wart, with all the commotion going on with EPA
The cats are already gutted. But unbeknownst to me, in my neck of woods (Canada) they don't even do visual inspections anymore. They use to do emission tests, but a decade ago they deemed unnecessary. So, might as well take advantage of that fact.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
EPA is going nuts this side of the boarder. Some States have roadside emissions testing, it records your tag number and sends the test info to the State.

I'm sure it won't be long till it becomes a fine or revoking of your registration.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
EPA is going nuts this side of the boarder. Some States have roadside emissions testing, it records your tag number and sends the test info to the State.

I'm sure it won't be long till it becomes a fine or revoking of your registration.
I put my oem downpoipe back on due to epa stuff happening, didn't want to risk one day not being able to drive anymore.

seems dumb, but I really think its going to make a comeback in a lot of areas, note everywhere of course. but some places

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I put my oem downpoipe back on due to epa stuff happening, didn't want to risk one day not being able to drive anymore.

seems dumb, but I really think its going to make a comeback in a lot of areas, note everywhere of course. but some places
This is why my stock manifolds/cats are sitting in my storage unit. WV is probably one of the last states that would bring emissions testing in, but I will swap back if necessary. The days of modding cars is quickly coming to an end. More places will adopt the policies of California, and at that point your better just leaving stock rather than deal with the BS.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
This is why my stock manifolds/cats are sitting in my storage unit. WV is probably one of the last states that would bring emissions testing in, but I will swap back if necessary. The days of modding cars is quickly coming to an end. More places will adopt the policies of California, and at that point your better just leaving stock rather than deal with the BS.
you could sell them for a small penny, or keep them and save yourself a lot of $ if ever needed. I am so glad I kept my DP. my friend when I installed the aftermarket DP said dude, just throw that in the trash! I said no. I feel like I should keep it.

and im glad I did.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
you could sell them for a small penny, or keep them and save yourself a lot of $ if ever needed. I am so glad I kept my DP. my friend when I installed the aftermarket DP said dude, just throw that in the trash! I said no. I feel like I should keep it.

and im glad I did.
I kept pretty much all my stock parts. No reason not to if you have the room. Only thing I tossed was the OEM struts and shocks. Still have the springs.
Sponsored