Sponsored

Sync 3.x - Carplay wireless

sear12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Are there any plans to have it or they will completely drop it and only add it in cars with sync4?

When i was checking new 21 GT version i believe they told me its sync 3.4 and that there is apple carplay but only wired.

Are there any chances to have an uprade in the future? Its hard for me to believe you cant have it in 2021

There are rumours that new iphones could be charged without cables(i will be getting new one this year), when that happens will there be any way to connect with that carplay with some adapters, are there any on the market?

I know its a minor thing but i am not gonna lie, it pisses me off that i might have such a ridicolous problem when i get new car
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ford won't update to Sync 4 for Mustang until the next generation S650 late next year.

Many of us assumed (incorrectly!) that there was going to be a facelift for the '21MY, and that Sync 4 would be part of that, but it never happened.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@sear12 - If you are insistent on having it, there are adaptors that in my experience work quite well :

WD :like:

OP
OP

sear12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
@sear12 - If you are insistent on having it, there are adaptors that in my experience work quite well :

Uff nice one. That will do it, thanks a lot!

Will still have a small hope that they will add sync 4 in in 22' model though.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Uff nice one. That will do it, thanks a lot!

Will still have a small hope that they will add sync 4 in in 22' model though.
Wishful thinking! They arent going to invest in changing the system (memory, bigger screen chipset) just to get sync 4 installed that will happen with the next gen only. Specially that the S550 is at its end cycle. Like my wife's Lexus IS300 didnt get CarPlay and Android Auto until the 2021 model but those features have been around since 2014.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP

sear12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Wireless charging has been available for some time now. Checkout Amazon for car models.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=car+wireless+phone+charger&crid=39GFLU8K76CWO&sprefix=Car+wire,aps,278&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_8
No, the 2022 model will be the last for the S550 and will still have Sync 3.
That airplay adapter will do it. Wireless charging docks wont do it as you can charge it only there but i would still have to connect my phone with cable to usb to get apple car play so like google maps on the screen instead of my phone like i have currently

Its kind of weird that we have to discuss this while talking about 21/22 car. I am used to Bmw technology, currently having X6 but few years old that is way behind new stuff but i've recently tested i330 from 17' that my brother bought and technology there is completely on a different level. I dont need most of that in Mustang, but it would be nice to have some of course and such carplay wireless is one of the things that should be there mandatory in 2021 :)

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Wireless charging has been available for some time now. Checkout Amazon for car models.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=car+wireless+phone+charger&crid=39GFLU8K76CWO&sprefix=Car+wire,aps,278&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_8
No, the 2022 model will be the last for the S550 and will still have Sync 3.
I believe he’s referencing true wireless charging, not pad charging. ie: radio waves are converted to energy for charging. There’s a rumor the next iPhones will have magnetic battery packs which would support this tech.
https://energous.com/ <- rumors are why this company’s stock almost doubled a week or so back.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I believe he’s referencing true wireless charging, not pad charging. ie: radio waves are converted to energy for charging. There’s a rumor the next iPhones will have magnetic battery packs which would support this tech.
https://energous.com/ <- rumors are why this company’s stock almost doubled a week or so back.
Fascinating, I hadn’t heard about this. Thanks for posting.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sear12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
To be fair i havent thought about it, but what i meant is that iphones very soon could have wireless charging only so it wont have charging plug. When that happens and you get that phone, you wont be able to connect it with apple car play with sync3. (You can with that adapter for wireless connection)

So charing and car play are two different things here. I have nothing against charging pad but without that car play adapter i would have to get standard mount and use google maps from my phone instead of car's screen :)

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
carplay wireless is one of the things that should be there mandatory in 2021
Wireless CarPlay requires a different, more expensive licence. Ford must pay Apple royalties for each CarPlay-compatible device installed in its cars, and those royalties are much higher if the device in question is able to work wirelessly. That's why most manufacturers have been avoiding the wireless option for a long time, and even today they're still not so eager to implement it.
Besides, CarPlay is a big battery hog, so most people using it would probably plug the phone in anyway.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Wireless CarPlay requires a different, more expensive licence. Ford must pay Apple royalties for each CarPlay-compatible device installed in its cars, and those royalties are much higher if the device in question is able to work wirelessly. That's why most manufacturers have been avoiding the wireless option for a long time, and even today they're still not so eager to implement it.
Besides, CarPlay is a big battery hog, so most people using it would probably plug the phone in anyway.
I was surprised at how many manufacturers offer wireless CarPlay, including Ford.

https://www.cars.com/articles/wireless-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-where-are-they-now-407297/

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Will this work on Android Auto?
Sponsored