SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoboostJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford white Ecoboost Performance Package
If the Cmax brackets don’t work, you can reuse the MFT brackets if you have them.[/QUOTE]

I'm base going to sync 3.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm base going to sync 3.
Someone posted a link for brackets above.

You also need the HU5Z hub and the cables.

Be sure to mount the GPS antenna to the GPSM mounting plate, just carefully remove the GPSM from the mounting plate with a large flat blade screwdriver.

I have no experience with that particular pass through device. You may want to ask around before purchasing in order to confirm others are using it without issue. I would NOT cheap out on that. The DLC in these new cars is actually the CAN gateway for the entire car, not something you want to cause an issue with.

EcoboostJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone posted a link for brackets above.

You also need the HU5Z hub and the cables.

Be sure to mount the GPS antenna to the GPSM mounting plate, just carefully remove the GPSM from the mounting plate with a large flat blade screwdriver.

I have no experience with that particular pass through device. You may want to ask around before purchasing in order to confirm others are using it without issue. I would NOT cheap out on that. The DLC in these new cars is actually the CAN gateway for the entire car, not something you want to cause an issue with.
Thanks, I am an Android guy so I don't think I need to worry about the USB. I will look for those brackets if I need them. I found looking for other screen/APIM was the way to go. A lot cheaper and easier to find.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you’re Android and want Android Auto you’ll need the hub and cables. Base cars don’t have a hub and the USB cable routing is different.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I received some good news this morning. This possibility of this swap becoming plug n’ play for an affordable price just took a step closer to becoming a reality. As of now I have a solution for the hub, 4.2 screen, the Sirius data link, and Male APIM. I’m still waiting for a pull test on the female APIM. The concern isn’t the Chinese connector it’s the terminals. I finally found a company willing to make improvements based on my testing using OE methodology. “So what? It’s a harness” some may say.. that’s true but after sitting in an environment where temps can routinely exceed 70*C wouldn’t you rather not worry about the delicate CAN System in these cars?

Unfortunately my solution for the MS-CAN hasn’t panned out but I do have another idea that utilizes genuine Yazaki connectors, it will require a little extra work for the installer but it will be plug n’play!

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry if this is generic read the thread question, but if it is a 2016 or 2017 Premium car, is it guaranteed to be Sync 3 that can be made to work with a 2017 base model?

There's a guy with a wrecked car parting out and asking $300 for his radio so I'm just trying to figure out if maybe I can take that and knock out the majority of what's needed.

If I were able to pull that, would it cover everything I need (don't need nav) or would I have to be careful about the bezel (I see the note about -E and -D versions)? Are the antennas all covered with a part out?

Based on that, seems like the only additional things I would need are the Tyco terminals mentioned in Step 8 of the first post (or maybe [MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION]'s new harness!).

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base with PP
My car is a 2017 Premium GT. The base package is 300A and Premium means it came with Package 400A. That package includes the 8" touchscreen Sync3.

Have him snap a photo of the dash for you but you are probably in good shape. Get the VIN from him and you may be able to retrieve a Window Sticker online. Even better if his car also had the (optional, for $795) navigation. If not, you can still do the nav upgrade by swapping in a nav APIM as taught in this thread. Enjoy!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what year his is yet, just saw the post on Facebook last night and reached out but no response yet other than a price. If I can grab it for cheap enough (aka not $1000) I might just spring on it and figure it out.

If it is a 2015 it seems like those have MFT instead of Sync and based on others, I'm not sure if that is worth the hassle really.

If this works out, makes me happy I didn't spring for the PP wheels that also just popped up nearby to me!

What would a pic of the dash do? Fairly certain the engine's already pulled so it won't be turning on to show nav or anything, but he did say it was a premium and minor chrome trim damage. If he already pulled it and I have to source all the other parts from somewhere else, might not take it on.

EcoboostJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in need of Mustang 8 inch screen brackets. I thought there were two places that sold them. I cant find them. Thanks Jim

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base with PP
I'm not sure what year his is yet... What would a pic of the dash do?
Photo makes it easy to tell the difference between a full 8" screen and the smaller 4.2" screen of your car with all the buttons around it. If his car is a 2015, it will not have OEM Sync3.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
ALL 16-17 cars are Sync 3. You would still need GPS antenna (NAV or not, factory telematics rely on it.) plus small stuff USB cables, terminals. Bezel only matters if you care about the heated seat buttons

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I am in need of Mustang 8 inch screen brackets. I thought there were two places that sold them. I cant find them. Thanks Jim
Contact [MENTION=29252]mgrey[/MENTION]

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
ALL 16-17 cars are Sync 3. You would still need GPS antenna (NAV or not, factory telematics rely on it.) plus small stuff USB cables, terminals. Bezel only matters if you care about the heated seat buttons
Appreciate that, could the antenna and USB cables be pulled from the car too? I don't see why not, but just want to make sure they're not somehow a one time use deal.

Stig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
to be traded for 2015 GT premium (just ordered)
I just completed my upgrade from sync 2 to sync 3. It is definitely worth the upgrade. I am really surprised how much faster the Sync 3 navigation is over the Sync 2

I do want to thank HextallS550, I purchased the usb hub power adaptor cable from him and the build quality is great!

I also want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. The information within this thread made the installation very easy.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.