Sponsored

Swapping Pads...What About Rotors??

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
EBC is coming out with their Red (ceramic) pads for our car front & rear. As soon as they hit the streets I’m getting some. Starting a new career and other factors will prevent me from seeing any track time this year, thus no concern about tracking ceramic pads...brake dust is my #1 concern.

So what would you, or ehat do you guys do with rotors when swapping pads around? I know there are guys that swap between track and street pads. I’m sure as hell not taking them to Autozome to be turned or cleaned up. I’m at 2,700 miles now and don’t know when the pads will Ben a ailable. Would you just do the install and a slow break in period before any bedding?
Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
The "correct" way is to swap out rotors too but since your car is that new and it's just going to be on the street, don't bother with changing the rotors. It'll be fine.

Hell, I swapped to GLoc track pads at 5k miles did 4 track days, then swapped back to my OEM street pads and haven't changed my rotors yet. Just lightly sand off the old material from your rotors when you swap pads and you'll be fine.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The "correct" way is to swap out rotors too but since your car is that new and it's just going to be on the street, don't bother with changing the rotors. It'll be fine.

Hell, I swapped to GLoc track pads at 5k miles did 4 track days, then swapped back to my OEM street pads and haven't changed my rotors yet. Just lightly sand off the old material from your rotors when you swap pads and you'll be fine.
A little 400 grit and you're good to go. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
How easy is it to swap pads in this car?
This will make changing pads and rotors from a pain to very simple and fast, plus eliminate buying one-time use factory front brake caliper bolts and taking the chance of damaging the aluminum knuckle every time the bolts are torqued.

https://caliperfexion.net/

Replace your one-time use factory front brake caliper bolts with much superior, stainless studs or 4340 Manganese Phosphate coated studs.

I'd recommend getting the Caliperfexion stud extensions as this allows the caliper to slide off the rotor for easy pad changes, rotor swaps.
20180204_202019.jpg

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
A little 400 grit and you're good to go. :thumbsup:
There is absolutely no need to replace the rotor with a pad change. Unless! there are cracks or the rotor is somehow otherwise out of spec.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
This will make changing pads and rotors from a pain to very simple and fast, plus eliminate buying one-time use factory front brake caliper bolts and taking the chance of damaging the aluminum knuckle every time the bolts are torqued.

https://caliperfexion.net/

Replace your one-time use factory front brake caliper bolts with much superior, stainless studs or 4340 Manganese Phosphate coated studs.

I'd recommend getting the Caliperfexion stud extensions as this allows the caliper to slide off the rotor for easy pad changes, rotor swaps.
Best and 1 of 2 only mods to my R.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I already have my studs installed.

I also had zero intentions of swapping in new rotors just driven by a pad change, but I have grown up that new pads should go with a clean surface, i.e. getting them turned. Just curious what guys did.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I already have my studs installed.

I also had zero intentions of swapping in new rotors just driven by a pad change, but I have grown up that new pads should go with a clean surface, i.e. getting them turned. Just curious what guys did.
I can relate. However these rotor are specifically called out by ford to no have them turned. Inspect them after heavy use and if no cracks and within limits, do it again ; )

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
There should be a specific number in millimeters for rotor thickness that indicates they are no longer thick enough to absorb and radiate heat as designed. As long as rotor thickness is above that number and the rotors are otherwise in good shape, you can continue to use them. Does anyone know what that number is?
Also, I would recommend slotted rotors as opposed to drilled rotors for dedicated track use-drilled rotor holes really serve no purpose other than aesthetics and are prone to cracking.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
There should be a specific number in millimeters for rotor thickness that indicates they are no longer thick enough to absorb and radiate heat as designed. As long as rotor thickness is above that number and the rotors are otherwise in good shape, you can continue to use them. Does anyone know what that number is?
Also, I would recommend slotted rotors as opposed to drilled rotors for dedicated track use-drilled rotor holes really serve no purpose other than aesthetics and are prone to cracking.
It's stamped on the rotor and in the service manual which I don't have access to right now.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My rotors say 34mm for the front and 24 mm for the rear.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Zitrosounds;2167842...these rotor are specifically called out by ford to no have them turned. Inspect them after heavy use and if no cracks and within limits said:
Sponsored