Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
I’ve thought of a few set up’s, a couple I’ve talked about here. The one I settled on I didn’t and this is what I’m going with. Reason is because of new health news so no road courses and just I’m gonna start traveling with the wife.

I’m going with an old/new school lowered raked look. My set up will be H&R lowering springs. My wheels are +35 9.5 wide front +38 10.5 wide rear.

The tire setup is going to be 275/40/19 front and 315/40/19 rear. Now I’m thinking because of the offset there might be some rubbing.

Now should I go with adjustable in all 4 corners or just rears? I guess I should have bought them and just installed them initially but I was thinking if I got no rub in the rear I could get away with not a full upgrade.
We will be doing a lot of driving also east coast north east midwest just a complete run of the US.
Any and all advice welcomed
Sponsored

Bidaci

Threads
Reaction score
Website
cionispeed.car.blog
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB PP
Those are pretty tall tires. The wheel specs seem fine but without a picture it's tough visualize how the tires currently fit. My understanding is that a 27" diameter tire is pretty much the standard. A 275/40r19 is 27.7" and a 315/40r19 is almost 29". That's a lot of tire to fit in a lowered wheel well.

Fitment Industries has a gallery on their website that you can search by similar cars and tire size.

I wanted an old school rake on my car as well. Similarly, I daily drive mine and as such take those long trips. My solution was to get lowering springs for the front and leave the rear stock. The reason I did this is I didn't want to give up carrying capacity.

This is my end result on 275/35r19 square on 19x9 et 45 wheels

20211002_084343.jpg

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
315/40R19 is a tight fit at stock height, forget it with a drop. Nothing to do with the offset, you can fit a ton of tire width-ways in the rear.

If this is a road trip machine, why wouldn't you just go square 275/40R19 and a mild set of springs that will give you a rake like the BMR SP763?

You'll get way more mileage out of your tires since you can rotate and still have a 40 sidewall for comfort.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
315/40R19 is a tight fit at stock height, forget it with a drop. Nothing to do with the offset, you can fit a ton of tire width-ways in the rear.

If this is a road trip machine, why wouldn't you just go square 275/40R19 and a mild set of springs that will give you a rake like the BMR SP763?

You'll get way more mileage out of your tires since you can rotate and still have a 40 sidewall for comfort.
The road trip is last minute thing. Like I said some health events have kinda pushed me to spend time with the wife on the road for about a month or so. We are gonna visit our oldest daughter who lives in Wisconsin before coming back home. I mean I could easily grab another set of tires I guess I’m just being a bit stubborn. I was gonna use the car mainly for cars and coffee and other car shows but that changed. I pick the car up today so let me see how it sits and I’ll get back to this thread. Thanks for your input. 👍🏼

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
315 on 10.5 inch is going to be an issue as well. lot's of bulging I guess. I suggest he goes with 305/30 on the 10.5 inch rear wheel. and probably 275/35/19 on the front instead of the 40.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The Mustang is a sport car, not a freeway cruiser and to me that mean a powerful and great handling car
I’m always amazed how many owners make the already questionable handling worst in the name of look/stance

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
So this is how it ended up sitting on stock suspension. I’m good with it. It feels good when I put it on Sport+. It rubbed slightly a couple of times with 2 people in it but I forgot I had my H&R springs in the trunk. Completely spaced it and that’s about an extra 50 lbs. So everything should be good to go. I might still put in adjustable rear shocks because my next set up with be with a smaller profile tire and it’ll be lowered. These Goodyears were crazy hard to find and I doubt I’ll be able to find them again after these are done.
0C64E24A-BAEE-4E42-8682-E4F83094A372.jpeg

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
The Mustang is a sport car, not a freeway cruiser and to me that mean a powerful and great handling car
I’m always amazed how many owners make the already questionable handling worst in the name of look/stance
I’ll debate that sports car comment. The 5.0 GT trim( base PP1 PP2) is a muscle car with tuned suspension. The only true sport cars are the GT500 and GT350 and between the two the GT350 is the one with the most track focused suspension. Why so many people say that it has such a harsh ride on the road. Then you have the Ford GT which is an animal in its own right which I’ll put against any other super car because it’s so capable around any track.

Now put a 5.0 PP2 against a base corvette around a track, and you’ll see which one of the two is a true sports car with great handling and it’s the corvette. I’ve now owned both and the Mustang is a muscle car true to form. I know I’ll get crap for this comment but facts are facts. Can you upgrade the 5.0s suspension to handle great? Of course Ford, Steeda and other players have done a bunch of R&D for this but out of the box the 5.0 is still a muscle car which I see nothing wrong with it.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Phew, glad it fit! I think that looks good on stock suspension. I would not put the springs on.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Phew, glad it fit! I think that looks good on stock suspension. I would not put the springs on.
Yeah cut it close 😂. No with this set up they won’t go on. My next set up definitely.

Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I’ll debate that sports car comment. The 5.0 GT trim( base PP1 PP2) is a muscle car with tuned suspension. The only true sport cars are the GT500 and GT350 and between the two the GT350 is the one with the most track focused suspension. Why so many people say that it has such a harsh ride on the road. Then you have the Ford GT which is an animal in its own right which I’ll put against any other super car because it’s so capable around any track.

Now put a 5.0 PP2 against a base corvette around a track, and you’ll see which one of the two is a true sports car with great handling and it’s the corvette. I’ve now owned both and the Mustang is a muscle car true to form. I know I’ll get crap for this comment but facts are facts. Can you upgrade the 5.0s suspension to handle great? Of course Ford, Steeda and other players have done a bunch of R&D for this but out of the box the 5.0 is still a muscle car which I see nothing wrong with it.
It's a grand touring car, thus the gt. I do agree with you it's not a sports car, weight and dimension the biggest factors.

It is an excellent gt car, and I'll put me and mine against 99% of the new balance vettes out there lol 😆

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
It's a grand touring car, thus the gt. I do agree with you it's not a sports car, weight and dimension the biggest factors.

It is an excellent gt car, and I'll put me and mine against 99% of the new balance vettes out there lol 😆
Agreed I love my mustang. Way more comfortable then a corvette and more capable then 99% cars out there👊🏼🇺🇸

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

I don’t know,muscle car were are powerful car that weight too much and handle badly. Current Challenger come to mind
The Mustang doesn’t need much to be a great handling car. Wider tires in front being #1
Sure, the Corvette is more of a sport car less weight, no back seat, more money,etc, that doesn’t mean that the IRS Mustang is not a sport car, especially the gt/pp1/pp2/bullit/m1 versions
I’m lucky enough to have a few nice cars beside my Mustang. Namely a Viper gts and a Porsche Cayman S
For sure the Cayman is the closest to a true sport car but all of them are a blast to drive and the Mustang regularly embarrass much more expensive and “sportier”cars at various road racing tracks

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I don’t know,muscle car were are powerful car that weight too much and handle badly. Current Challenger come to mind
The Mustang doesn’t need much to be a great handling car. Wider tires in front being #1
Sure, the Corvette is more of a sport car less weight, no back seat, more money,etc, that doesn’t mean that the IRS Mustang is not a sport car, especially the gt/pp1/pp2/bullit/m1 versions
I’m lucky enough to have a few nice cars beside my Mustang. Namely a Viper gts and a Porsche Cayman S
For sure the Cayman is the closest to a true sport car but all of them are a blast to drive and the Mustang regularly embarrass much more expensive and “sportier”cars at various road racing tracks
I agree with you don’t get me wrong. Mustang right now is punching way above its weight class when it comes to its class and what you get for the money. I’m just aware like you are of its limitations. Now when we are talking about models like the GT350/500 they are cars that can definitely keep up if not beat cars at times 2-3 times more expensive.
When I was in the market for another vehicle I had the Corvette and Challenger in mind. I landed on the Mustang because to me this car is an all around great product. The only reason that I didn’t go with a GT350 which I had my heart set on was because I’m retired, (51) and I didn’t want the wife working another 2-3 yrs just to pay off the car. She just retired herself and we are going traveling. Great chatting with you. 👍🏼

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I’ll debate that sports car comment. The 5.0 GT trim( base PP1 PP2) is a muscle car with tuned suspension. The only true sport cars are the GT500 and GT350 and between the two the GT350 is the one with the most track focused suspension. Why so many people say that it has such a harsh ride on the road.
the differfence between a PP and base GT is... significant.
also, these aren't muscle cars either.
Sponsored