Sponsored

suspension mods without lowering?

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
what suspension mods would be most effective for a "daily driver/grocery getter/backroads car" with out lowering the car? my 21 base gt(A-10)currently had "FPR strut tower brace and BMR jacking rails.i've sat in lowered cars,and at 70 yrs old..it's not a pretty sight to see me try and get in/out of one,appreciate your advice and comments.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Some good aftermarket (stiffer) shocks and a set of stiffer swaybars can be an awesome handling upgrade w/o any need for lowering springs.

The Steeda ProActions Adjustables or Koni Yellow Adjustables pair really nicely with stock springs and can actually improve the ride. The benefit of adjustable shocks is you can change from soft to firm for weekend drives, and leave them on soft for grocery getting duty.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Honestly, look into supporting mods for the suspension, rather than just the suspension, itself. The Steeda Stop the Hop kit (IRS subframe brackets, subframe locating pins, bushing supports, vertical links) will make a heck of a lot of difference, and it's not going to require stiffer springs or struts that will punish your kidneys and back.

JR

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vertical links, adjustable toe links, adjustable camber arms, BMR camber lockout kit, subframe braces, subframe alignment kit, differential bushing kit with through bolt kit, Boomba Racing transmission bracket, subframe bushing support kit, RLCA spherical bearing or bushing kit and adjustable motor mounts.

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I use my whip daily to drive to the office (when I go) or to the GFs house or the beach or the grocery store blah blah blah.

0.5" Steeda Drop just to close that wheel gap a little bit doesn't make ANY difference in "OMG that speedbump is going to kill me". Next on the list is the Stop the Hop and then Jack Rails.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
18x10 or 19x10 wheels with summer tires would be the biggest bang for the buck.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Getting rid of wheel hop is a huge improvement and it will help prevent parts breakage.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Bilsteins .... dew eeet! Ended the wiggle in the rear end on cornering on my V6.
Ride was only better, with a very nice compression stroke and effective rebound damping.

Fancier setups may be better, but for the price, the ride only improved ... no harshness

Also if you have 20" rims, consider 18" 's and more sidewall.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Vertical links, adjustable toe links, adjustable camber arms, BMR camber lockout kit, subframe braces, subframe alignment kit, differential bushing kit with through bolt kit, Boomba Racing transmission bracket, subframe bushing support kit, RLCA spherical bearing or bushing kit and adjustable motor mounts.
Is the boomba trans bracket or bushing for A10 speeds as well?
Thanks, Anthony

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
what suspension mods would be most effective for a "dailydriver/grocerygetter/backroads car"
What specifically do you want to improve? Don't be tempted to bolt on mucho $ worth of shiny stuff you'll never get any benefit from on a DD with stock springs.

If you want to start somewhere just fix the most obvious things. Get some front and rear PP1 springs and front struts, and fit the rear with either Koni yellows/Bilstein B6/Koni Special Actives/Steeda non-adjustables.

Then rear subframe alignment bushings and a good alignment. Next BMR CB005 or Steeda Stop the Hop kit. Steeda or other rear upper shock mounts will help as will Rear Lower Control Arm bushings. As an entry DD set up that'll probably meet 90% of your needs. If you want to go further swap in a stiffer front bar and new struts of the same type you fitted to the rear.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks.
What's the diff between street and race specs? Is there lots. More NVH?
Street just has softer bushings, whereas the race bushings are harder. I have so many suspension parts with the hard black bushings, that you would have thought NVH would be horrible in my car, but it’s not. There’s a little, but only briefly at certain speeds and once I drive through those speeds it goes away. Don’t be afraid of it, I’m sure you wo t have an issue with it. My car is a manual too, so I imagine an auto would be even smoother. For peace of mind, you can run the street version since your car is an auto.

The most important area on the rear suspension is controlling wheel hop. I always like to post the Full Tilt Boogie link to show just how bad it is before and how much the right parts improve it afterward.

Sponsored