Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
This clunk noise must be common
my 2021 GT has had the same sort of clunk from new in the front left hand side, passengers side on this side of the pond.
Yea I dunno.. when winter is over, I am going to change my springs, struts and shocks and see what happens.. I have already clocked the bushings twice in my driveway, shook the shit out of it and taken it to a shop, went over everything multiple times and the clunk is way better but still there and noticeable.. If swapping out to different springs/struts/shocks does not work, I don't know what I will do.. Might have to upgrade to something else.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sometimes it's not always the obvious and there could be another underlying issue that was exposed after upgrading that was not an issue before upgrading.

Certainly parts can "look ok" from a visual perspective, but may not be if something isn't seated correctly or not torqued to spec.

When you did all of your torque specs, did you do it with the car loaded - meaning it was sitting on its own weight? Usually all suspension parts are to be torqued with the vehicle sitting on its own weight and not "suspended" from jack stands, floor jacks or a 4-post lift with no rails under the wheels.

Torquing suspension parts unloaded is quite different once the vehicle is put back onto the ground, so keep that in mind if you didn't already torque properly.

---

Aside from the above...

Are the spring isolators seated correctly?

Are the end links to the sway bars torqued to proper specs?

Are the top strut mount nuts torqued correctly? Many folks have trouble getting the front top strut mounts and strut nut torqued properly. If those nuts are not torqued down properly and to spec there can definitely be clunking as the car transitions over imperfect roads with the load bearing down on it. Again, sure from a "visual" it can look "ok", but doesn't mean it is.

---

Something else to check - which can't just be a visual for front end clunking.

This SSM was released for the GT350's regarding a front end clunk noise.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ssm-50672-front-end-“clunk”-or-“pop”-noise.176357/

Also the front strut mounts have been known to fail prematurely, causing a clunk noise from the front end:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...your-upper-front-strut-mount-bearings.130986/

---

I don't know if any of the above will be helpful, but it's a starting point as annoying as it is to look things over yet again.

Take a breather, check each step of your install - not just the overall, but each part of the install by starting with only one end of the car and one side at a time - start with front driver and then front passenger, etc. Also just don't "look" at it, use your muscle and tug/push on the parts, or even use a pry bar which will give more leverage.

The most obvious - and don't laugh, it's happened to many DIYers - make sure you don't have a part on backwards, flipped or wrong side of car. Sure it's obvious, but it does happen...

You're going to find the issue and when you do, it's gonna be one of those "ah-ha" moments. :)

Last edited:

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Are the top strut mount nuts torqued correctly? Many folks have trouble getting the front top strut mounts and strut nut torqued properly. If those nuts are not torqued down properly and to spec there can definitely be clunking as the car transitions over imperfect roads with the load bearing down on it. Again, sure from a "visual" it can look "ok", but doesn't mean it isn't.
I was gonna suggest this as well, lost our minds for about an hour after my install, run that b down with an impact, a few other ways to do it by hand.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was gonna suggest this as well, lost our minds for about an hour after my install, run that b down with an impact, a few other ways to do it by hand.
this was my issue on the latest alignment we torqued them to spec and now much quieter over bumps. Huge improvement in quality of life.
Sponsored