Sponsored

Creaking noise when turning at parking lot speeds? Check your upper front strut mount bearings!

Miadhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang EcoBoost
Just wanted to make a post and share with you guys since these doesn't seem to be discussed much as an issue:

Had an issue with a weird creaking noise turning the wheel after installing Steeda's Dual Rate Competition springs + Pro Active adjustable shocks over a year ago, mechanic redid the whole front suspension, didn't really help. Changed the springs out for Steeda Sport Progressives (wanted a lower stance and a more pothole friendly ride, although I miss the crazy flatness during cornering) and the noise seemed to have gone away.

Earlier this late summer/early fall I added Steeda the roll center kit, and both of their front control arms, noise came back, mechanic lubed up the ball joints, didn't really work, tried marine grease on the ball joints, but the issue was still there. Later he listened to the sound of the wheels turning with the hood propped open, and suggested it was the upper bearings that the front springs come in contact with. My hypothesis is that the stiffer dual rate springs exacerbated this issue when they were on.

When installing camber plates I had them install new upper strut mount bearings and boom, noise gone! This was an issue that only came up turning into driveways and when making tight turns in parking lots. Suspension is pretty interesting stuff!
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
A loose PP cowl brace or bad front sway bar links can cause a similar noise, also.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I have a noise exactly like the one in this video:

Is this what you were running into?

I just recently purchased a 2019 GT350 and it is making this sound under relatively high cornering load (for the street). I hear the noise from the front left while turning right. This sound was also audible from a 2017 that I test drove.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited:

Creedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Just wanted to make a post and share with you guys since these doesn't seem to be discussed much as an issue:

Had an issue with a weird creaking noise turning the wheel after installing Steeda's Dual Rate Competition springs + Pro Active adjustable shocks over a year ago, mechanic redid the whole front suspension, didn't really help. Changed the springs out for Steeda Sport Progressives (wanted a lower stance and a more pothole friendly ride, although I miss the crazy flatness during cornering) and the noise seemed to have gone away.

Earlier this late summer/early fall I added Steeda the roll center kit, and both of their front control arms, noise came back, mechanic lubed up the ball joints, didn't really work, tried marine grease on the ball joints, but the issue was still there. Later he listened to the sound of the wheels turning with the hood propped open, and suggested it was the upper bearings that the front springs come in contact with. My hypothesis is that the stiffer dual rate springs exacerbated this issue when they were on.

When installing camber plates I had them install new upper strut mount bearings and boom, noise gone! This was an issue that only came up turning into driveways and when making tight turns in parking lots. Suspension is pretty interesting stuff!
I am bringing this point up to my technician at the dealership today. Hopefully the parts are available if they need to be replaced. Thanks

Sponsored

Creedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Let me know how it goes for you!
Based on this info and what has been replaced, I am guessing it is not the camber plate spherical bearing but the rubber isolator that goes between the spring and camber plate that is causing the clicking noise. It has a bearing to allow rotation of the spring while turning. Per Tasca parts, item # FR3Z-5A306-B. There appears to be a left and right. I am not 100% sure this is the actual issue but I am running out of things which might cause the clicking noise during hard turns.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know others have mentioned potentially the floating brake? When I had the wheel off, I manually flexed it some and heard what could be a similar sound, but maybe I am imagining it.

Bullitt40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350/track pak
Just had upper strut bearing replaced on right side of my 350, fixed the clicking sound on the right front

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just dropped my car off, I tried to get them to note the strut bearing, but he said they'd have to investigate themselves.

Sponsored

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer told me they could not reproduce sound. I asked nicely to please go back and use the method I reported when dropping off. They reproduced the sound and retightened the axle nut. My sound has gone away for now *shrug*

Jeg70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt
I had this same popping noise issue when turning at slow speeds on my 15 GT PP1 - only mod was use of MM CC plates to hone in on camber. After removing both struts and diagnosis - issue turned out to be failed upper spring isolators which were allowing the strut shaft to rub against the bearing and the 1/8 steel plate in the isolator. Replaced both isolators and noise / issue resolved. Interested in why this part even failed?

70FCE41B-5C2D-44C2-8F5B-2C5E0E040BC4.jpeg

7AF9BCA7-F8C6-4C16-8B95-5BE95BB4EBF3.jpeg
Sponsored