Sponsored

"Surprise" PP2 Short comings for track use, not easy to remedy

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I purchased my 2019 PP 2 spring of 23. My goal was few mods, good street manners and robust HPDE performance. I was looking at used Mach 1's but in the end, I found a PP2, 6000 miles with cloth Recaro's (must have), MGW short throw shifter and Mach 1/GT350 spoiler at a good price, about $20K less than a new Mach 1 and $10K less than a used one. I knew I'd need to add an engine oil cooler $800 and a Diff cooler $900 - $1300 and camber plates ($200-$400).

Some things I learned this year preparing my car for the 2024 track season:
1) Ford doesn't measure oil temp, its calculated from an algorithm based off RPM, head temp and other such stuff. My Mishimoto oil cooler has a temp sensor port but finding a place to mount a gauge is a real headache! I highly desire a stock interior look. and even if you know the actual oil temp, your car ECU won't recognize the lower temp your after-marker oil cooler has achieved. Separating the stock Oil cooler from the engine coolant radiator may benefit the "calculated temp", but I'm not certain of that.

2) Fuel starvation on long hand left hand turns. On half tank or less, all your fuel slushes over into the passenger side saddle-bag tank and starves the fuel pump on the drivers side. The tanks have a slow rebalancing system but doesn't address track use. Apparently the GT350, GT500 and Mach 1 have a passenger side fuel scavenging system that manages this reasonable well, the PP2 does not. There are some inexpensive back-yard engineering solutions I'm not really comfortable with. A surge tank is very undesirable for a daily driver. (and expensive to install) no fire wall separation, etc.
Ai (After market Industries out of Australia) seems to have a solution that has "surge tank" incorporated into the drop-in, in-tank fuel pump. $2k in parts and likely $1K installation as I don't want to mess with this for safety and reliability reasons. The simple solution is to just HPDE with a full tank each secession, which I'm most likely to do for a few seasons.

3) The Pre-2021 S550 front wheel bearing flexes and deforms under severe load, enough to disrupt the wheel sensor information collection and "reset" your stability control and "freak it out" or turn it back to street mode in the middle of a aggressive track maneuver. The 2021 Mach 1 has a new, upgraded design that is more robust, but you have to purchase the new Knuckle and bearing hub for $800. Not terribly complicated, but ANOTHER $Grand! Yes, you can just pull the stability control fuse and turn everything off, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of "track mode".

4) Ford Flex Fuel system for E85 tune; Again, in their engineering wisdom, Ford chose to not actually measure the alcohol content of the fuel in your fuel lines like GM does (and probably every other car company) they use the O2 sensor to "calculate" your fuel mixture. You can purchase an aftermarket bluetooth system for $400-500 to tell you exactly what your fuel mix is. Switching from a high octane to a lower is no issue but switching form low to high, you need to be patient, letting the engine run and "smell" the exhaust for a while and "learn" your fuel mix.

Another thing I learned, if you are going to thrash this engine on the track, you may be well to add oil balancing lines between the heads. None of the Coyote engines come with this from the factory (except crate engines) so it doesn't matter which version Mustang you have, GT, GT350, GT500 or Mach 1, they all will benefit from this mod. The nice thing is that Ford did put the threaded ports for both lines into the heads. They are only $200 but, you have to disassemble the entire top half of your car to get them installed between the fire wall the engine block. My Ford dealer has a race car guy in the service department so he convinced the service manager to quote me installation. $900. You can watch the installation video HERE. After watching the installation video, its the Best $900 I'll spend on this car.

I WISH I would have sprung for the Mach 1 !!! No coolers to add, No Fuel starvation issues, no Wheel hub / stability control issues on track, Comes with camber plates and your get GT350 intake and the Tremec trans on top!
This is my 4th track car so I know from great experience, no mater how diligent you research before purchasing, you will always learn more once you own it and do the deep dive.

As I said, I've done this before, I know track cars are an endless money pit! All these issue are well discussed here in the various Mustang6G forums, if you know what to look for! I just wanted to put all these things in one place to help others make better informed decisions.

Happy Tracking!
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Interesting deep dive on some differences that I didn't know existed (and probably not many other people either). Shame you had to learn that the hard way though.

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Edge ST, 2022 Mach1
Great info!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
All of those were well known things, nothing really "surprising". It's been discussed that while it seems Ford marketed this as a "track car", it's far from it as you found out the hard way unfortunately.

Now I will say that for the most part it's still cheaper to get a PP2 and mod it to your desired level than to get the Mach1 for $20k more. The things you mentioned are just a few grand. The only big thing is the transmission, but everything else is easy enough to do if you're serious about tracking it.

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
I purchased my 2019 PP 2 spring of 23. My goal was few mods, good street manners and robust HPDE performance. I was looking at used Mach 1's but in the end, I found a PP2, 6000 miles with cloth Recaro's (must have), MGW short throw shifter and Mach 1/GT350 spoiler at a good price, about $20K less than a new Mach 1 and $10K less than a used one. I knew I'd need to add an engine oil cooler $800 and a Diff cooler $900 - $1300 and camber plates ($200-$400).

1) Ford doesn't measure oil temp, its calculated from an algorithm based off RPM, head temp and other such stuff. My Mishimoto oil cooler has a temp sensor port but finding a place to mount a gauge is a real headache! I highly desire a stock interior look. and even if you know the actual oil temp, your car ECU won't recognize the lower temp your after-marker oil cooler has achieved. Separating the stock Oil cooler from the engine coolant radiator may benefit the "calculated temp", but I'm not certain of that.

2) Fuel starvation on long hand left hand turns. On half tank or less, all your fuel slushes over into the passenger side saddle-bag tank and starves the fuel pump on the drivers side. The tanks have a slow rebalancing system but doesn't address track use. Apparently the GT350, GT500 and Mach 1 have a passenger side fuel scavenging system that manages this reasonable well, the PP2 does not. There are some inexpensive back-yard engineering solutions I'm not really comfortable with. A surge tank is very undesirable for a daily driver. (and expensive to install) no fire wall separation, etc.
Ai (After market Industries out of Australia) seems to have a solution that has "surge tank" incorporated into the drop-in, in-tank fuel pump. $2k in parts and likely $1K installation as I don't want to mess with this for safety and reliability reasons. The simple solution is to just HPDE with a full tank each secession, which I'm most likely to do for a few seasons.

3) The Pre-2021 S550 front wheel bearing flexes and deforms under severe load, enough to disrupt the wheel sensor information collection and "reset" your stability control and "freak it out" or turn it back to street mode in the middle of a aggressive track maneuver. The 2021 Mach 1 has a new, upgraded design that is more robust, but you have to purchase the new Knuckle and bearing hub for $800. Not terribly complicated, but ANOTHER $Grand! Yes, you can just pull the stability control fuse and turn everything off, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of "track mode".

4) Ford Flex Fuel system for E85 tune; Again, in their engineering wisdom, Ford chose to not actually measure the alcohol content of the fuel in your fuel lines like GM does (and probably every other car company) they use the O2 sensor to "calculate" your fuel mixture. You can purchase an aftermarket bluetooth system for $400-500 to tell you exactly what your fuel mix is. Switching from a high octane to a lower is no issue but switching form low to high, you need to be patient, letting the engine run and "smell" the exhaust for a while and "learn" your fuel mix.

Another thing I learned, if you are going to thrash this engine on the track, you may be well to add oil balancing lines between the heads. None of the Coyote engines come with this from the factory (except crate engines) so it doesn't matter which version Mustang you have, GT, GT350, GT500 or Mach 1, they all will benefit from this mod. The nice thing is that Ford did put the threaded ports for both lines into the heads. They are only $200 but, you have to disassemble the entire top half of your car to get them installed between the fire wall the engine block. My Ford dealer has a race car guy in the service department so he convinced the service manager to quote me installation. $900. You can watch the installation video HERE. After watching the installation video, its the Best $900 I'll spend on this car.

I WISH I would have sprung for the Mach 1 !!! No coolers to add, No Fuel starvation issues, no Wheel hub / stability control issues on track, Comes with camber plates and your get GT350 intake and the Tremec trans on top!
This is my 4th track car so I know from great experience, no mater how diligent you research before purchasing, you will always learn more once you own it and do the deep dive.

As I said, I've done this before, I know track cars are an endless money pit! All these issue are well discussed here in the various Mustang6G forums, if you know what to look for! I just wanted to put all these things in one place to help others make better informed decisions.

Happy Tracking!
excellent information and write-up sir!

Sponsored

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Thank you for sharing and great info!

I'm always surprised about the details of the Mach 1. Had a 2019 Bullitt that I thought about modifying. Left it alone and switched to a Mach 1. Only regret was not getting the handling package but those are easy upgrades and can be exceeded with aftermarket parts.

Hope you get the PP2 where you want it to be - it is also a great car.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Great write up. I'd love to know (while the "info" is out there) where did you source the Ford info? Ford other forums? I have a PP1 vert and one item you didn't mention is transmission cooling maybe because the PP2 has a larger radiator? This summer I made it to Intermediate and first hot day my transmission was spitting fluid out a breather(?) tube and main seal was leaking. Ford fixed under warranty but the tech wrote on the ticket "if customer will track car needs a bigger cooler" LOL., uh sigh.

Sounds like I have more upgrades to come, while my track time is purely for fun and improving my own handling/driving skills. I can dial back my hot days while slowing adding more improvements. in a few years my GT will be just right (by then I can buy a used Mach 1 haha).

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

One option is to use an oil temp gauge from GT350 and install it instead of one of the gauges in the center console. Ether way you can calculate temps and ask your mapper to change the CHT table to something reasonable based on your known temps. Lot's more hacks in the cooling thread here on the forum. Though the CHT and not oil temps are the bigger issue when tracking as they are actual temps and were reached faster than oil temps anyway.

Or just drive with full tank and call it a day save $2k in parts. If real track car you will need fuel cell anyway.

Wheel hub issues are solved by using aftermarket lug nuts and making sure they are snug tide. 2 seasons no hub issues on my car. Though I think Ford revised the wheel hubs in 2019 or so.

Easy have 2 maps and switch when filling no need to use flex fuel map ;)

This based on our experience are more nice to have than really mandatory infact the FP350S and the Dark Horse R also don't have this lines. Not sure about GT4 and GT3 cars but the engine there is much different and use dry sump oil pumps so it might not need it at all. Overall if you are tracking your car the engine is a commodity and the Coyote is relatively easy to find motor.

In other words most of this are known issues with easy enough workaround for a weekend warrior kind of car.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Great, clear write-up on some interesting issues! You made me grateful I waited to buy my Mach 1 in 2021 instead of getting a PP2 a couple years earlier, heh... Although I still haven't gotten her to the track (I want to, but been having too much fun with my GT4).

I'm curious what seats you have and what solutions you have for holding yourself in place on track if they're factory seats. Although I'm sure this is another topic that's been beaten to death around here, haven't searched yet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bossdog

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Great, clear write-up on some interesting issues! You made me grateful I waited to buy my Mach 1 in 2021 instead of getting a PP2 a couple years earlier, heh... Although I still haven't gotten her to the track (I want to, but been having too much fun with my GT4).

I'm curious what seats you have and what solutions you have for holding yourself in place on track if they're factory seats. Although I'm sure this is another topic that's been beaten to death around here, haven't searched yet.
I have the stock cloth Recaroā€™s. I had them in my 2012 Boss and loved them. I havenā€™t had this car to the track yet, Spring will be my first outing with the PP2 but I donā€™t intend to change them

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and $10K less than a used one
So 40k or under? M1 prices are coming down fast.

I can't see how the socalled equalizer lines work. Both heads have equal pressure to the respective ports. Now if you were to partially block the normal exit route for oil, or better yet use the back port to inject cooler oil i could see benefit.

Can you elaborate? I'm missing something.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
@Bossdog your situation is about the same as mine (2019 PP1 A10 car). I bought my car before the Mach 1 came out.

I added oil and diff coolers, and a second OEM trans cooler (so I now have two).
I wouldn't worry about actual oil temp - if CHT is happy it's because your water and oil cooling are effective. Although I did put a max temp sticker on my cooler for a "second opinion".

Most tracks are CW, so I have yet to experience fuel starvation, but I think I will start to make sure my tank is kept more full. I've run full beans in the final session, but with just enough gas left to make it into town before the long trip home.

I've spent a lot on my car, too, for track use. But it's been a fun hobby wrenching on it. It is now Coyote, A10, GT350 suspension and brakes. Just needs more rubber now.

Thanks for your post #1.

20230831_170946.jpg

20230831_152407.jpg

drunkenup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Platinum, 2009 135i
Excellent post- I'm almost certainly moving into an S550 for my next track car and will only tolerate few modifications to maintain advanced pace (something my current car cannot).

I could probably live with the fuel starvation as described since most tracks are right turn heavy. Going down the laces at WGI could be an issue. What turns at which tracks does this occur in your experience?

The issue with the knuckle/bearing might be deal breaker since I was set on a PP2 up to this point. I eat curbs and I was already aware of the fuse removal alternative, which is a nonstarter for me. Beside the obvious price difference vs Mach 1, I would have preferred the PP2 just for the optional adaptive cruise control, even if it only works at 45+.

OP
OP
Bossdog

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I could probably live with the fuel starvation as described since most tracks are right turn heavy. Going down the laces at WGI could be an issue. What turns at which tracks does this occur in your experience?
My concerns are:
Turn 1 at Mid Ohio
Turn 1-2 at Pittrace
Turn 20 at NCM
Turn 3 at Grattan

I'll just refuel after each session for now while I get the rest of the car sorted.
Sponsored