Summer Only Tires Question

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm taking delivery of a 2017 GT Premium with the 19" wheels this week. I've read all of the Ford and tire manufacturers recommendations. Ford recommends that you don't use these tires below 19 degrees and in fact recommends that you store them somewhere heated. It's obvious these tires will be awful in snow, I'm concerned how they will do in the rain if we ever get any, but has anyone driven them on dry pavement in the winter? I have zero need to drive my GT in the snow, or even the rain to be honest. I still have my F150 (for now) or my wife's Escape and I work hybrid, my employer expects that we stay home if it's snowing any significant amount. Can I use the Firestone summer only tires on dry pavement in the winter?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Specifically, what tires are on it currently? They’re not all created equal.

usually high performance summer tires work fine in the warm or cool wet conditions, and some are quite excelllent in the wet.

Often they can grip fine in cold dry conditions, but there is a healthy risk or likelyhood for causing micro cracks if driven much below freezing. They’re almost never worth a damn in actual wintery precip.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
.......but has anyone driven them on dry pavement in the winter?.......Can I use the Firestone summer only tires on dry pavement in the winter?
Yes.

I have daily driven my Mustangs, year 'round, for the last 12 + years. Always with Max Performance Summer Only tires. Even in snow.

Yes, they suck in snow. But they're absolutely fine in the rain and cold. You just can't drive like a f'king moron with them on when it's cold, just drive like a normal, sane person.

The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s are particularly good in the rain and colder temps, and they wear and ride well. But their steering response is numb/sluggish in comparison to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss.

I'm actually a 'uge fan of the Firestone tires.

OP
OP
momalle1

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the feedback. They've got 25k on them now and I'll be wondering if will replace them with the same or all seasons when the time comes. I suppose that will depend on if I keep the F150 and how long it lasts.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Thanks for the feedback. They've got 25k on them now and I'll be wondering if will replace them with the same or all seasons when the time comes. I suppose that will depend on if I keep the F150 and how long it lasts.
They're about done then. 25K is well beyond what most MPSO tires last. Be thinking of getting new tires soon.

Can you snap some pics of the tread so I can see how they've done for 25K miles? That would be good info.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Can I use the Firestone summer only tires on dry pavement in the winter?
Simply put, no you shouldn't. Can you yes, but they become extremely hard and slippery at those temperatures even on bone dry pavement. You will be skating around and not only a poor driving experience but could be very costly too. Depending on what temperature range Firestone rates those for, it would get dicey if there was ever an issue and you had to use your insurance for coverage.

And while @KingKona daily drives his Mustangs in the winter, I would not consider Virginia winters anywhere near as harsh as a Massachusetts winters.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When I was young and dumb I drove on drag slicks in all weather conditions. Including winter snow covered roads ect.. This was in Eau Claire Wi. Car was a 1970 RoadRunner with a 440 4 speed and 3.91 rear gears.

So, yes you can drive any tire but you have to respect the short comings.

Would I do it again? Probably if I was 18 again. It was a lot of fun sliding all over the place.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
+1 for what EFI said. There’s a reason they’re summer only. The compounds are different and not made to withstand colder temps. Not only will they not perform well, it could be dangerous. They’re like riding on hockey pucks at or below freezing.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Micro cracking can cause failure long after the initial damage. My understanding is that the tire will lose grip as more cracks form, which means you might experience an issue long after freezing temps are gone. Consult the tire manufacturer temp recommendations, and follow them. Otherwise your summer stickies can eventually be worse than all seasons before the end of their tread life. I’d hate to find that out on the first corner I throw it through in spring.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Simply put, no you shouldn't. Can you yes, but they become extremely hard and slippery at those temperatures even on bone dry pavement.
I've driven on these tires at 0 degrees Fahrenheit, and it was absolutely no problem. They break and turn just fine.

The old Pirelli MPSO tires from years ago turned to hockey pucks, the current generation tires don't do that. And specifically the Firehawk Indy 500s are good in rain and cold temps.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
You can drive them on cold dry pavement without it being unsafe. Of course if you do aggressive driving you will have traction problems. You also run the risk of them wearing out faster.

I remember when I bought my supra with summer only stock tires in December and left the dealership. Floored the car and had zero traction. But driving around town was perfectly safe with no snow on ground. But I switched to a continental dws plus so I can drive them all year long in cold weather (not snow). Currently running them on my mustang as well.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Micro cracking can cause failure long after the initial damage. My understanding is that the tire will lose grip as more cracks form, which means you might experience an issue long after freezing temps are gone. Consult the tire manufacturer temp recommendations, and follow them. Otherwise your summer stickies can eventually be worse than all seasons before the end of their tread life. I’d hate to find that out on the first corner I throw it through in spring.
I have first hand experience with this.

My Michelin PS4S tires didn't grip for crap after two years. The tread was still good and there was no signs of any major dry rot, just some micro cracks. I didn't even realize how poor the performance was until I slapped on a new set of ps4s. Night and day difference. I now actually understand all the hype around these tires lol.

I wouldn't drive these tires in the winter. Where I live, if it's not snowing then there's a sheet of salt covering the pavement. Both make for a poor experience with summer tires. It's doable, sure, but you cause damage to the tires and you can't come close to enjoying the car's performance. I bought a second set of rims and winter performance tires that are fantastic. Being able to drive my car, in subzero temps, like I would in the summer, is a great experience.

OP
OP
momalle1

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
They're about done then. 25K is well beyond what most MPSO tires last. Be thinking of getting new tires soon.

Can you snap some pics of the tread so I can see how they've done for 25K miles? That would be good info.
I will as soon as I take delivery.

OP
OP
momalle1

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Specifically, what tires are on it currently? They’re not all created equal.

usually high performance summer tires work fine in the warm or cool wet conditions, and some are quite excelllent in the wet.

Often they can grip fine in cold dry conditions, but there is a healthy risk or likelyhood for causing micro cracks if driven much below freezing. They’re almost never worth a damn in actual wintery precip.
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, I'll never be driving it in winter precip.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Greetings from Massachusetts. I drive summer tires slightly below freezing spring and fall due autocross. It’s miserable.

To go further below freezing is certainly unsafe. The tires are rock hard and have no grip on dry ground. If you ever drive in the morning, black ice is always a real risk that will ruin your day. Given enough freezing miles, there is a real chance tires delaminate.

My main advice is to buy snow tires or park the car.
Sponsored