Summer Only Tires Question

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
These have been heat cycled out and still work real good in rain. I'll probably get the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate's next.
tire.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
momalle1

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
This should say everything to the OP. In real winters, you did not drive on summer tires. In a Virgina winter, you can get away with them.

It's not about snow as the OP clearly stated he won't be driving in any snow. It's more about the temperature and how often he would have to drive in said temperature. You can't compare winter temps in Virgina to winter temps in Mass.

That's all from me, OP you're free to take this advice anyway you'd like. I'd just hate to see another Mustang or RWD performance car spun out on the Mass Pike because they didn't respect the conditions and thought that because someone in the south can drive on summer tires in the winter he can too up here.
I've decided to just park it this winter. While I'd never drive it when the streets are covered with snow, I'll have to look at my options when I need to replace these tires. Thanks to everyone.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
All I will say, is before the snow started falling and the state started putting down road salt, on days that it was mid to low 40's in the morning The summer only tires on my car had an issue driving away from a stop, And this was normal driving and my car is a 4 banger that was on dry road, on a rain day it was worse. This are oem Pireli tires with less than 1000 miles on them.
If I ever had to turn/brake or gas it to get out of the way of Another vehicle I would not trust these tires in the cold to do much than slide or spin.
To me it is not worth chancing wading up the car , they will be coming off soon and another wheel set and All seasons put on.

OP
OP
momalle1

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm happy to follow up that I've driven on a few sub-zero mornings with absolutely not issues at all. I'm not drag racing or taking on ramps at 100 mph, but I'm not driving like my grandmother either.
Sponsored