Sponsored

student debt forgiveness is back

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
While Dem states have the most loans, Republican states have the most in default. Seems that Dems are, as you note, being responsible.

But neither one of our comments get to fixing the issue at hand.
This has nothing to do with which states voted for who. Look at the correlation between post grad degrees and voting tendencies. Then look up who holds the majority of student loan debt. Try and ignore where they live because that’s irrelevant.
As far as fixing the issue, there is no appetite for that in our current society. with all of your reading on the subject I’m sure you understand that the cost of higher education skyrocketed as soon as the fed gov decided to back student loans. The fix is simple, but unlikely to happen. Get the gov out of the student loan business. Want to borrow money for school? Convince a lender that what you are pursuing will produce a return for them. Might force prospective students to reconsider racking up $200k in debt and wasting 6 years of their lives studying lesbian dance theory and learning how many different genders there are when banks explain that their endeavors don’t exactly look promising as far as generating income and ability to pay back loan debts.
furthermore I think it’s insane that 18 year olds are put in a position to think they have to commit to such staggering amounts of debt when their brains have not even fully developed and their life experience is essentially zero. But it doesn’t really matter what I think. Or anyone else. The system is not going to be reformed without putting up a serious fight. Good luck taking on the institutions that profit off of our current situation lol we can’t even get the fat lazy public school teachers to go back to work as it is. You think the ones at universities are going to take a pay cut by allowing tuition prices to drop? Lol
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As a rank outsider, can someone enlighten me on how/when the loans are normally repaid?
in Australia, the debt is held off until such time that the student exceeds a certain income threshold and then repaid to the government, interest free (although it does rise with inflation), I assume the current system in the US is the same?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
This has nothing to do with which states voted for who. Look at the correlation between post grad degrees and voting tendencies. Then look up who holds the majority of student loan debt. Try and ignore where they live because that’s irrelevant.
Your argument is non-existent.

This has nothing to do with "voting tendencies". Look up who holds the debt. For example, people who didn't graduate, parents of students, etc. You are conveniently ignoring a host of people. Trying to tie politics with this issue will not go well. Sure that won't stop though.

And of course where they live is irrelevant. I made that comment because your original post made little sense, outside of being a political hit job.

Little funny to see your reply though. Of course it is "irrelevant" that student loan forgiveness will help more republicans. Ha ha ha...

As far as fixing the issue, there is no appetite for that in our current society.
Says who? So we do nothing? I don't get where you are going...

with all of your reading on the subject I’m sure you understand that the cost of higher education skyrocketed as soon as the fed gov decided to back student loans. The fix is simple, but unlikely to happen. Get the gov out of the student loan business. Want to borrow money for school? Convince a lender that what you are pursuing will produce a return for them. Might force prospective students to reconsider racking up $200k in debt and wasting 6 years of their lives studying lesbian dance theory and learning how many different genders there are when banks explain that their endeavors don’t exactly look promising as far as generating income and ability to pay back loan debts.
There is no "simple fix". $200k? The average debt is 30k. What does "gender" or being a "lesbian" have to do with anything? That does not even make sense.

furthermore I think it’s insane that 18 year olds are put in a position to think they have to commit to such staggering amounts of debt when their brains have not even fully developed and their life experience is essentially zero.
Sounds like you support educating potential students on their options and providing them with financial literacy classes. Maybe something else?

But it doesn’t really matter what I think. Or anyone else.
Why are you posting?

As I stated earlier in this thread, learn the political process.

You can start by taking off your political glasses. This is not a political issue.

The system is not going to be reformed without putting up a serious fight. Good luck taking on the institutions that profit off of our current situation lol we can’t even get the fat lazy public school teachers to go back to work as it is. You think the ones at universities are going to take a pay cut by allowing tuition prices to drop? Lol
So you believe we need to figure out this issue without universities taking a pay cut.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
As a rank outsider, can someone enlighten me on how/when the loans are normally repaid?
in Australia, the debt is held off until such time that the student exceeds a certain income threshold and then repaid to the government, interest free (although it does rise with inflation), I assume the current system in the US is the same?
Hello; I am many years away from a student loan so my answer may be dated. We get a six month grace period after leaving a school, then the loans have to be discharged in some manner. I also do not think the loans are interest free. I do think the interest is fair when compared to what it would be for a regular bank loan.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Why is this even here? You chose to go to college, pay your debt! No đź’©, the whole country is looking for a handout! Your debt, pay it!

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
As everything else... it depends: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/repayment

Below is some info from the link.

Far as interest: in most cases student loans will start accruing interest when they are taken out. Interest rates are around 3 to 7 percent last time I looked. In other words, your first year loans will start accruing interest and if you are in school for four/years for undergrad and then a couple for graduate school. It starts looking ugly real quick, if you are not paying on them from day one.

When You Must Begin Payments
Once you graduate, drop below half-time enrollment, or leave school, your federal student loan goes into repayment.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Why is this even here? You chose to go to college, pay your debt! No đź’©, the whole country is looking for a handout! Your debt, pay it!
its all the new generation wants. those enabling them by saying "sure we will pay for your mistakes" are pathetic. im sorry, but hell my friends parents just finished paying off 100k for their kids to go to college. do they get a refund? oh no. sorry. screw you?

No one deserves free college, even military doesn't get free college, they have to serve to get it. I don't even think it equates to 50k honestly. I got 36 months of college, prob 20-30k worth

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
its all the new generation wants. those enabling them by saying "sure we will pay for your mistakes" are pathetic. im sorry, but hell my friends parents just finished paying off 100k for their kids to go to college. do they get a refund? oh no. sorry. screw you?

No one deserves free college, even military doesn't get free college, they have to serve to get it. I don't even think it equates to 50k honestly. I got 36 months of college, prob 20-30k worth
Lol thats funny :cwl: I will agree that this new generation is lost. Even for people that are millennials, I don't like to consider myself being one, because it is embarrassing at times.

Mine was well worth over 50k. It was like 40k a year because I was out of state student. With the GI Bill I'm getting charged in-state tuition which is like 12k and, on top of that I get like ~3k for BAH.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Lol thats funny :cwl:

Mine was well worth over 50k. It was like 40k a year because I was out of state student. With the GI Bill I'm getting charged in-state tuition which is like 12k and, on top of that I get like ~3k for BAH.
You earned it though, even if it was 500k it’s still an earned benefit you deserve.
Not these people who simply feel they deserve it just because

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Which "new generation"? Have you bothered to research who holds the student debt? Obvious from your reply you have not. This is not about the 18-year-olds in school.

No one deserves free college
Some people do deserve "free" college and they get it. Not the topic though.

I'm not sure there is a loan forgiveness where the borrow does not give up something. No path is "free".

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Your argument is non-existent.

This has nothing to do with "voting tendencies". Look up who holds the debt. For example, people who didn't graduate, parents of students, etc. You are conveniently ignoring a host of people. Trying to tie politics with this issue will not go well. Sure that won't stop though.

And of course where they live is irrelevant. I made that comment because your original post made little sense, outside of being a political hit job.

Little funny to see your reply though. Of course it is "irrelevant" that student loan forgiveness will help more republicans. Ha ha ha...
roughly 60% of the student loan debt is held by people towards the top of the economic ladder. these are people that have the ability to pay back their loans, they just dont want to. much easier to get people to think that we are bailing out the underprivileged when in reality very little of student loan forgiveness is going to them.

don't be so naĂŻve. of course this whole thing is political. the liberal politicians pushing for this are doing so to help their voters. i don't know what the "ha ha ha" you posted is in reference to. student loan forgiveness will help far more democrat voters than it will republican. after all, look who is pushing for it......

Says who? So we do nothing? I don't get where you are going...
of course we should do something. as i already explained, there is no appetite for actually solving the problem though. too many hands out looking for free stuff and too many whores in politics to oblige. passing off debt from the people that took it out in the first place onto the backs of everyone else is not "doing something".

There is no "simple fix". $200k? The average debt is 30k. What does "gender" or being a "lesbian" have to do with anything? That does not even make sense.
sure there is. have debt? too bad, work to pay it off. i don't remember reading about individuals having a gun to their head forcing them to take on debt. why do the people who did not rack up the debt or those that paid their own debt off have to cover for everyone else?

the $30k average you are referring to is not accurate. its much closer to $40k. that number also only reflects debt related to a bachelors degree. it ignores postgraduate debt.

do i actually have to explain what was meant by the comments about gender and lesbian dance theory? it is a reference to the absolutely useless degrees that are being acquired by students in exchange for taking on massive amounts of debt that they now want someone else to pick up the tab for. my apologies, i did not think you would be so triggered by a comment related to gender studies.

Sounds like you support educating potential students on their options and providing them with financial literacy classes. Maybe something else?
we are in total agreement on that one! i'm confused though.....don't the parents of students educate them on these issues before they sign on the dotted line?

Why are you posting?

As I stated earlier in this thread, learn the political process.

You can start by taking off your political glasses. This is not a political issue.
because i want to.

as i said earlier, this is of course a political issue. to think otherwise is being naĂŻve.

So you believe we need to figure out this issue without universities taking a pay cut.
where did i say that? i actually hinted at the complete opposite.
the gov is backing these student loans. the universities are increasing the prices of tuition based on the gov securing these loans. with that comes high paying salaries for university employees. where is the incentive to fix this whole mess? you don't see the people pushing to eliminate student debt also talking about fixing what caused it in the first place do you? are the universities trying to help by reevaluating the cost of tuition? any politicians pushing this talking about the dangers of taking on debt at a young age without a clear path towards paying it off? of course not. just have the rest of us cover the bill while the next generation comes up and repeats the same cycle all over again.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
why do the people who did not rack up the debt or those that paid their own debt off have to cover for everyone else?
Some of my understanding (not that I agree, just posting some of what I learned):

• People with student debt but no degree or paid more than what their degree is worth are struggling to pay off the loan.
  • The loans are second behind mortgage debt. It slows down the economy because certain people can't pay it off.
  • They can't catch up because of the interest, with some owning upwards of 95% of their original loan after 10 years of "base" payments.
  • Bottom line from what I understand is we pay one way or another. Like the housing crisis... we take care of it now, or it impacts us later (if one believes there will be an impact).
we are in total agreement on that one! i'm confused though.....don't the parents of students educate them on these issues before they sign on the dotted line?
Some are first generation students. Their parents don't know the process. Heck, some come from nothing.

I've personally seen this played out so many times over the course of my life. I've never seen anyone go into thinking they were getting over. Some had no idea, but knew they had to do something. They did not have a good guidance counselor or limited options where they lived. Some went on scholarships but did not do well on the scholarship and booted off or if an athlete, got injured. Some simply could not deal with the stress. Some had no "extra" money and could not make it (could not get a job, etc.).

Some should have never went. I remember almost begging this one young man to go into the military. HIs family was against it. I mentored him for a while and knew he would do well in the military. I felt he was not mature enough for college. I hated being right on that one.

I've seen more, but those are some cases. Seen many, many who held jobs or went through without an issue as well. Majority have went on to do well.

this is of course a political issue. to think otherwise is being naĂŻve.
The reason I don't believe it is political is that both Republicans and Democrats have stated student debt/education is an issue. They don't agree on the path. Much like the healthcare argument.

The Trump administration made some good strides in education. Heck he even supported student loan forgiveness. So no, I don't believe this is a political issue.

I do see it as a "potential" America issue. I'm personally still not convinced it is an issue we should throw a lot of money towards. What else can we do? I've not made up my mind here...

where did i say that? i actually hinted at the complete opposite.
the gov is backing these student loans. the universities are increasing the prices of tuition based on the gov securing these loans. with that comes high paying salaries for university employees. where is the incentive to fix this whole mess? you don't see the people pushing to eliminate student debt also talking about fixing what caused it in the first place do you? are the universities trying to help by reevaluating the cost of tuition? any politicians pushing this talking about the dangers of taking on debt at a young age without a clear path towards paying it off? of course not. just have the rest of us cover the bill while the next generation comes up and repeats the same cycle all over again.
100% with you on this... answer to your questions is "no". This is where I struggle. I'm not seeing a complete plan to take care of this issue.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
ll these people pissing and moaning not my tax dollars... blah blah... so how may times did tax funded checks come your way and you tore them up and didnt cash them? yeah never. if checks were sent to you, you would put them back in the mail with a letter saying no thanks keep it I cant use tax money. yeah that wouldn't happen either. its just a bunch of people bitching cause they aren't getting anything out of it. if they were you wouldn't here a single argument.
Hello; You and some others keep missing or ignoring an important point. There are not a bunch of us bitching just because we do not get anything from the government. We not only will be getting nothing out of the debt forgiveness, we will be getting an individualized portion of the bill when we pay taxes. That is a main point. Lots of analogies and example have been posted and been casually ignored.

One of the other arguments has been is some ways the others guys' education we will pay for is a benefit to us. Well my take is that benefit is vanishingly small in the general sense. Say one of those college graduates whose debt we pay off becomes a doctor or a CPA. Do you imagine I will get a break on their bills and fees because I was one of the citizens who got part of the bill for their essentially "free to them" education. I don't think so.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
so what I have learned.

If you need help you are a freeloading handout wanting lazy piece of crap

If you have money you earned every penny of it honestly(yeah right) and should be put on a pedestal for being great and paying for your education

And the only job in the world worthy of a tax dollar funded education is the military. Every other job regardless of how hard or back breaking or dangerous, is not worthy and those people are also just sponges wanting a hand out.

If you paid for an education then it was for a meaningful degree because only people who can pay for degrees get one that is 100% useful and contributes to society

If you need help paying for a degree then it is always some useless crap arts degree because you are an idiot and thats why you cant pay for it now.

I guess I need to go out into the world and stereotype everyone now with these guidelines.