student debt forgiveness is back

jtmat

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
This is just the progressive virtue signaling so they can look good.
Yes...

Temp: Need to determine if throwing money can help this issue (won't solve it!). If so, how much money can help? What else short-term can help vs. throwing money at the issue? Need to see some numbers. What are the downsides?

Long-term: Find out the "real" issue(s) and fix it/them.

This comes off as lazy. No work outside of signing a piece of paper and walking to a mike. That does not cut it... need to do some real work and do it in a bipartisan manner - just like President Biden suggested.

Advertisement

Stage_3

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Saw this yesterday on the MSN homepage and it made me smile. I had to take a screen shot of it for "future use" I said to myself. LOL

InkedFree College___NAWWWW_LI.jpg

Briebee72

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Saw this yesterday on the MSN homepage and it made me smile. I had to take a screen shot of it for "future use" I said to myself. LOL

InkedFree College___NAWWWW_LI.jpg
And all the no responses were people who had no loans and allready paid off and all the yes we're people with loans and all the I don't knows we're people with no college at all

sk47

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
And all the no responses were people who had no loans and allready paid off and all the yes we're people with loans and all the I don't knows we're people with no college at all
Hello; you have no way to know these things is my take. The comments appear to be unsupported opinions of your own. Please back up such strong comments if you can.

I, for example, have no idea why those who had a yes response did so. I can make a guess or few but such a guess would be just as much unsupported as your comments are to this point.

An interesting strategy on your part tho.

RPDBlueMoon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition
Yes...

Temp: Need to determine if throwing money can help this issue (won't solve it!). If so, how much money can help? What else short-term can help vs. throwing money at the issue? Need to see some numbers. What are the downsides?

Long-term: Find out the "real" issue(s) and fix it/them.

This comes off as lazy. No work outside of signing a piece of paper and walking to a mike. That does not cut it... need to do some real work and do it in a bipartisan manner - just like President Biden suggested.
Yeah basically, just calling out the president and putting him on the spot instead of doing your job lol. Its a win win situation, because you get to satisfy your brainless constituents, guaranteeing your votes, while also not doing your job.

What is really sad is that people gobble this shit up

Stage_3

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Maybe??
But, no way to know for sure.

Atlas1

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 TRD Pro
Which nicely sums up the state of our country. The poors vote for free shit for themselves and those that work, save, and are responsible would rather not pick up the tab. Unfortunately the number of leeches is outweighing the productive segment of the population and they get to vote too. The funniest part of it all in regards to student loans is a majority of that debt is held by wealthy liberals with post grad degrees in complete and utter bullshit fields of study. The leeches think this loan forgiveness has anything to do with them lol.

FreePenguin

Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Which nicely sums up the state of our country. The poors vote for free shit for themselves and those that work, save, and are responsible would rather not pick up the tab. Unfortunately the number of leeches is outweighing the productive segment of the population and they get to vote too. The funniest part of it all in regards to student loans is a majority of that debt is held by wealthy liberals with post grad degrees in complete and utter bullshit fields of study. The leeches think this loan forgiveness has anything to do with them lol.
this.

jtmat

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
While Dem states have the most loans, Republican states have the most in default. Seems that Dems are, as you note, being responsible.

But neither one of our comments get to fixing the issue at hand.

Atlas1

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 TRD Pro
While Dem states have the most loans, Republican states have the most in default. Seems that Dems are, as you note, being responsible.

But neither one of our comments get to fixing the issue at hand.
This has nothing to do with which states voted for who. Look at the correlation between post grad degrees and voting tendencies. Then look up who holds the majority of student loan debt. Try and ignore where they live because that’s irrelevant.
As far as fixing the issue, there is no appetite for that in our current society. with all of your reading on the subject I’m sure you understand that the cost of higher education skyrocketed as soon as the fed gov decided to back student loans. The fix is simple, but unlikely to happen. Get the gov out of the student loan business. Want to borrow money for school? Convince a lender that what you are pursuing will produce a return for them. Might force prospective students to reconsider racking up $200k in debt and wasting 6 years of their lives studying lesbian dance theory and learning how many different genders there are when banks explain that their endeavors don’t exactly look promising as far as generating income and ability to pay back loan debts.
furthermore I think it’s insane that 18 year olds are put in a position to think they have to commit to such staggering amounts of debt when their brains have not even fully developed and their life experience is essentially zero. But it doesn’t really matter what I think. Or anyone else. The system is not going to be reformed without putting up a serious fight. Good luck taking on the institutions that profit off of our current situation lol we can’t even get the fat lazy public school teachers to go back to work as it is. You think the ones at universities are going to take a pay cut by allowing tuition prices to drop? Lol

Burkey

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As a rank outsider, can someone enlighten me on how/when the loans are normally repaid?
in Australia, the debt is held off until such time that the student exceeds a certain income threshold and then repaid to the government, interest free (although it does rise with inflation), I assume the current system in the US is the same?

jtmat

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
This has nothing to do with which states voted for who. Look at the correlation between post grad degrees and voting tendencies. Then look up who holds the majority of student loan debt. Try and ignore where they live because that’s irrelevant.
Your argument is non-existent.

This has nothing to do with "voting tendencies". Look up who holds the debt. For example, people who didn't graduate, parents of students, etc. You are conveniently ignoring a host of people. Trying to tie politics with this issue will not go well. Sure that won't stop though.

And of course where they live is irrelevant. I made that comment because your original post made little sense, outside of being a political hit job.

Little funny to see your reply though. Of course it is "irrelevant" that student loan forgiveness will help more republicans. Ha ha ha...

As far as fixing the issue, there is no appetite for that in our current society.
Says who? So we do nothing? I don't get where you are going...

with all of your reading on the subject I’m sure you understand that the cost of higher education skyrocketed as soon as the fed gov decided to back student loans. The fix is simple, but unlikely to happen. Get the gov out of the student loan business. Want to borrow money for school? Convince a lender that what you are pursuing will produce a return for them. Might force prospective students to reconsider racking up $200k in debt and wasting 6 years of their lives studying lesbian dance theory and learning how many different genders there are when banks explain that their endeavors don’t exactly look promising as far as generating income and ability to pay back loan debts.
There is no "simple fix". $200k? The average debt is 30k. What does "gender" or being a "lesbian" have to do with anything? That does not even make sense.

furthermore I think it’s insane that 18 year olds are put in a position to think they have to commit to such staggering amounts of debt when their brains have not even fully developed and their life experience is essentially zero.
Sounds like you support educating potential students on their options and providing them with financial literacy classes. Maybe something else?

But it doesn’t really matter what I think. Or anyone else.
Why are you posting?

As I stated earlier in this thread, learn the political process.

You can start by taking off your political glasses. This is not a political issue.

The system is not going to be reformed without putting up a serious fight. Good luck taking on the institutions that profit off of our current situation lol we can’t even get the fat lazy public school teachers to go back to work as it is. You think the ones at universities are going to take a pay cut by allowing tuition prices to drop? Lol
So you believe we need to figure out this issue without universities taking a pay cut.

sk47

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
As a rank outsider, can someone enlighten me on how/when the loans are normally repaid?
in Australia, the debt is held off until such time that the student exceeds a certain income threshold and then repaid to the government, interest free (although it does rise with inflation), I assume the current system in the US is the same?
Hello; I am many years away from a student loan so my answer may be dated. We get a six month grace period after leaving a school, then the loans have to be discharged in some manner. I also do not think the loans are interest free. I do think the interest is fair when compared to what it would be for a regular bank loan.

RichGT350R

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Why is this even here? You chose to go to college, pay your debt! No 💩, the whole country is looking for a handout! Your debt, pay it!

jtmat

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
As everything else... it depends: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/repayment

Below is some info from the link.

Far as interest: in most cases student loans will start accruing interest when they are taken out. Interest rates are around 3 to 7 percent last time I looked. In other words, your first year loans will start accruing interest and if you are in school for four/years for undergrad and then a couple for graduate school. It starts looking ugly real quick, if you are not paying on them from day one.

When You Must Begin Payments
Once you graduate, drop below half-time enrollment, or leave school, your federal student loan goes into repayment.

Advertisement

125 - Nemesis UK - 1

Advertisement