Strut-tower brace for GT500

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Active Aero, Active Brake Cooling and I'm sure there is more. I'm curious if we are in for any surprises with the powertrain.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good question. Patent-wise, I did find one where Ford can now use the PWTA process on pistons and cylinder heads as well the bore of an aluminum engine block (such as is used on the GT350's engine).

Above all, this kind of power mandates one heck of a system to control heat. Something tells me we won't hear Tech Pack excuses on this one as there is simply no way Ford can let it out the door with an inadequate cooling system. Plenty of hoses, heat exchangers, hood venting/airflow management, and electronic controls are all going to have to work together to keep this from being a dud at the track. Let's hope they get it right.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
So this is how they fit a strut tower brace with a PD blower.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If I remember correctly Ford Performance wanted to do more active aero on the GT but didn't because of weight concerns. It looks like the GT500 might be receiving the fruits of that labor...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The GT did add active aero and Ford felt that the weight gain was justified.

Again, Ford patented a number of related things but you may or may not see them at all on this GT500. Cross your fingers that we get all of it.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Anything you can tell us about this or are you out of the loop? I’m very intrigued by the active aero, wonder if the rear wing will adjust as well, typically if you have stuff going on up front you have something going on in back too.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yes. Patent says the cast magnesium is 1/3 the weight of aluminum but also 1/3 weaker in terms of strength, hence the "lattice" arrangement in an attempt to make up for it.

Perfect for when that engine bay fire gets out of control.:)
This.

Reminds me of eons ago when we would seek out old cast magnesium lawn mower decks from dead Lawn Boy mowers to throw on bonfires at gatherings. The "Make Your Own Star Kit".

That STB looks like a real hoot to work around.....

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
All this "active" stuff sounds really cool, but sometimes I like things to be simple. For example, if I had my druthers, my active exhaust would always be "on" in loud mode.

Kudos to Ford's engineers though for continuing to push the envelope. :like:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
All this "active" stuff sounds really cool, but sometimes I like things to be simple. For example, if I had my druthers, my active exhaust would always be "on" in loud mode.

Kudos to Ford's engineers though for continuing to push the envelope. :like:
I agree simplicity is nice, but I would feel like a real jerk leaving the house in the morning if there was no quiet setting on the exhaust. Cold startup is pretty loud even in quiet mode. IMO complexity is good when there's a good reason for it.

The thing about active aero in the front is that you could drive the car in and out of parking lots and driveways with no problems, but have better grip on the track. IMO that's a useful feature rather than having a car that scrapes everywhere.

Active aero in the rear can potentially augment the brakes at the track or trade off more rear cornering grip versus more straight line speed.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It was a stripe-less man who brought up the active aero first.
Looks like some effort went into this car.
Magnesium cast?! I would have never thought they would put that under the hood. At least we get to see some cool colors if our cars burn to the ground. I used to do some contract work at magnesium factory. Came out of that place smelling like sulfur... Felt bad for the full time employees.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am not buying into the idea the strut tower brace will be magnesium. From the pictures I have seen so far, the texture does not look like cast magnesium. I am saying the strut tower brace looks like something other than metal.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The texture absolutely looks to match that of a cast material. The patent itself says magnesium.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup. Props to you. I did not believe they'd do it. I concede.:)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yup. Props to you. I did not believe they'd do it. I concede.:)
A few things got me going on this.

Owning an R, I know how limiting the ride height can be. The 500 is frequently purchased by..uh...a more “seasoned” crowd who might be less tolerant of this vs track-rats 350 owners.

Ford needs to add some exotic luxury to match the exotic performance as the msrp climbs.

There seemed to be a defining line in the lower splitter that reminded me of the Giulia front.

I might not be doing well, overall... I also threw out AWD and EcoBoost v6.... 1 out of 3 ain’t bad lol
Sponsored