Stripped nut extraction help!

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I installed wheel spacers months ago, and I went to try and take them off today (doing some wheel hub work) and I noticed that I couldn’t get the nuts off of them.

They’re not rusted on. It seems like they either over torqued themselves with months of driving or froze during winter. Driver side nuts came off easily, but the passenger side ended up getting super stripped after hours of trying to remove them. I only got 2 off. 3 remaining. I’m at the point where the nut extraction socket no longer grips the nut.

what can I put around the nut to make the surface area a little bigger so the extraction socket can grip it?
(Ex: duct-tape for stripped screws)
1643F86B-663F-439F-93F2-8422410423C7.jpeg
Sponsored

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
Could find a socket you can pound on and will grab. Usually a slightly smaller metric or inch size... 12 point may bite better. Try and heat it up too if you find one that fits. Worst case, start cutting that spacer off. Wont be pretty but it will get it off eventually

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
I would remove the rotor. Put it in a drill press, and drill the studs out.
Edit. You will need to drill it in place.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I installed wheel spacers months ago, and I went to try and take them off today (doing some wheel hub work) and I noticed that I couldn’t get the nuts off of them.

They’re not rusted on. It seems like they either over torqued themselves with months of driving or froze during winter. Driver side nuts came off easily, but the passenger side ended up getting super stripped after hours of trying to remove them. I only got 2 off. 3 remaining. I’m at the point where the nut extraction socket no longer grips the nut.

what can I put around the nut to make the surface area a little bigger so the extraction socket can grip it?
(Ex: duct-tape for stripped screws)
1643F86B-663F-439F-93F2-8422410423C7.jpeg
Good luck on getting those spacers off
Those spacers belong to the trash bin
Bolt on spacers are dangerous, if you need spacers, use bolt through. Much safer design
Obviously longer studs are needed but it’s the only safe way to use spacers

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
I would remove the rotor. Put it in a drill press, and drill the studs out.
Edit. You will need to drill it in place.
You would have to remove the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle to do this... Could work if you have to

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Solved: Took off the wheel hub, rotor and spacer attached and took it to a nearby shop that had better extraction tools. Took them 5min. New hub on, spacer on with better nuts, wheel back on, drives smooth!
Sponsored