Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
bunch of women in this thread using 2 pedals

I was wondering why the whining was so heavy
Tell ya what - get a local 10R80 GT Owner who is seasoned with their car and you both go to the track. Be sure to post up the videos and how many time slips it took you to better out shift the 10R80.

:)

I’ve owned plenty of 5-spd vehicles including Mustangs - still do with the 94. After driving the 10R80, the trans is amazing and surprises nearly all who drive it or are on the back end of “see ya”.... Most of the negative or ridiculous comments are coming from trolling folks who don’t know a thing about the 10R80 or those who never drove one (not just getting in and putzing around / getting in and romping on it in both manual and auto modes).
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The MT82 is shit like an above poster mentioned. I am on my second one in 26k miles. Never used launch control, line lock or tracked. Synchros just shit themselves. Driven manuals my entire 21 years of experience. From Wranglers, Tacomas, Hondas to an STi. If I go with the 2020 Mustang it will be the 10R80 if equipped.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The MT82 is shit like an above poster mentioned. I am on my second one in 26k miles.
Maybe you need to learn how to drive one? Most of the reviews of the A10 have said it's confused (example here: https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/mustang/21291/2018-ford-mustang-review-pony-car-ponies-up-even-more-fun), struggles to find gears etc etc. Having driven the previous auto 6 speed (admittedly not the 10 speed), I can say the auto offerings from Porsche and BMW are far superior. The selling point of the Mustang is that it's one of the few performance cars that still offers three pedals, without that it will fall below the competition. As for people saying they can get to 60 a few tenths of second quicker with an auto, it's completely missing the point in a stick - which is to be more engaged.
I understand people getting autos if they drive in a lot of traffic but then I'm not sure I'd have a Mustang

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Maybe you need to learn how to drive one? Most of the reviews of the A10 have said it's confused (example here: https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/mustang/21291/2018-ford-mustang-review-pony-car-ponies-up-even-more-fun), struggles to find gears etc etc. Having driven the previous auto 6 speed (admittedly not the 10 speed), I can say the auto offerings from Porsche and BMW are far superior. The selling point of the Mustang is that it's one of the few performance cars that still offers three pedals, without that it will fall below the competition. As for people saying they can get to 60 a few tenths of second quicker with an auto, it's completely missing the point in a stick - which is to be more engaged.
I understand people getting autos if they drive in a lot of traffic but then I'm not sure I'd have a Mustang
I'm not sure why the 10 speed has those odd reviews. It certainly hasn't been my experience with the 10R80. I bought my car with 250 miles (Dealer had to trade) though, so maybe the trans did its adaptive learning before I picked it up. Mine is probably the best most fun Auto I've ever had. Its crazy how the speed jumps with every shift. It hits 80 mph a full second quicker than the MT82.I bought the Mustang because I wanted a high performance car. The auto is much higher performance than the stick. My 73 Cutlass has a 4 speed because it is higher performance than the Turbo 400 would have been.

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
The 10 speed takes over 1000 miles to learn and adapt to driving a style. I admit, when I only had a few hundred miles I hated it too. Slow to down shift, lugged the motor, odd upshifts. Now with 4500 miles, its amazing.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
The 10 speed takes over 1000 miles to learn and adapt to driving a style. I admit, when I only had a few hundred miles I hated it too. Slow to down shift, lugged the motor, odd upshifts. Now with 4500 miles, its amazing.
I haven't experienced those issues with mine.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
I haven't experienced those issues with mine.

When I say slow, thats relative. In town, I felt it drove in to high of a gear, so that when I leaned on the throttle it would lug, lean a little harder and it would down shift. As far as the odd upshifts, that was me getting to used to it skipping gears. Now that its smoothed out, I barely notice other than sound.

Deleted member 35644

I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't happy crawling around behind granny's Camry and seems to be at it's best when you drive it like you stole it. It gets indecisive and too quick to upshift in rush hour traffic. I move it to "S" to alleviate some of that, but then have to intervene with the paddles when it holds gears too long.
I'll never get used to the jerky downshifts during quick stops. My sister-in-law's '17 EB 6A doesn't do any of that, nor did my '17 V6, so I don't understand why the 10A can't be programmed for similar behavior. I'm just glad they managed to get rid of the extreme lurching it was doing from P to D or P to R. Overall, it's a good transmission, but similar to their DCT, I think they could've spent more time writing the code for it.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I've driven both, and there's no question how quick the A10 is. Like anything though, it does seem to have a few odd quirks. City traffic is not one of its strong points. I also lived in a T-56 for 12 years. I liked it better than the MT-82, but calling the MT-82 a piece of shit is not necessarily what I'd call a very accurate statement.

Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
The MT82 is shit like an above poster mentioned. I am on my second one in 26k miles. Never used launch control, line lock or tracked. Synchros just shit themselves. Driven manuals my entire 21 years of experience. From Wranglers, Tacomas, Hondas to an STi. If I go with the 2020 Mustang it will be the 10R80 if equipped.

Guys, please quit insulting perfectly good shit by comparing it to an MT82

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
I have a BMW M235i, about 400 HP, w/ a 8 speed AT/DCT. Stupid fast shifts. Best I have ever driven.
So now to my 2018 Mustang GT w/ the 10 speed AT.
It shifts just as fast under any type of load, above lean acceleration.
The only time I feel i NEED to override the down shifting,
is when under slight braking at low speeds.
These issues are not a deal breaker for me.
Very happy, and I'm sure Ford will only improve it w/ software updates.
Enjoy My Friends

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....Besides, you can claim manlyness all you want with your clutch, and I will raise you my manual steering, manual brakes, carb'd 68 with a 5 speed. Thats a real mans car. Fuck you and your electronic power steering and power assist brakes... sissy
Sissy.

Three on the tree, mate. You five speed girly-man.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
5 speeds means I can go faster with my manual steering and manual brakes...