Sponsored

Stereo base 4.3" head unit upgrade: Ideas? Plans?***

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
Bull1tt,
No worries. But can you describe the process of removing the center stack? How much trouble time did it take? Thanks

You have to remove a trim panel on the right side of the glove box. There is another trim panel directly beside the steering wheel that houses a temp sensor. Once these are removed you can pull the aluminum dash piece that has the A/C vents in it off of the dash. It is only held with clips. I believe that the center console top cover has to come off to pull the center stack out but I cannot remember for sure. I already had the console out at the time. There is a trim panel on each side of the trans tunnel beside the center stack that pulls off. There are 2 bolts underneath of this panel on each side of the car. After removing the bolts the center console will just pull off. It is also only held on by clips. Before removing any of the interior trim on the car I would highly suggest that you buy a few replacement clips. The clips that hold all of the interior panels are just plastic and like to break. They are $2 for a bag of 4 at the dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
... The clips that hold all of the interior panels are just plastic and like to break. They are $2 for a bag of 4 at the dealer.
Excellent! Very good to not have to learn by pulling too many (or not enough) panel off! Great idea to buy clips ahead of time! Is there only one kind of clip and the parts guy will know which we'd need? If you happen to still have the P/N that would be great. If not, should not be too hard to figure out at the dealer with the exploded parts view.
Thanks again!

Gmacguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP
I wouldn't go cutting up the circuit board or dash bezel just yet. Zackmd1's suggestion of buying another board is a great idea but I doubt they have any yet or even buy just a board. You may only be able to order the entire dash bezel right now since the cars are basically made to order. That dash bezel will be extremely expensive and hard order right now.

Metra is probably the only company I'd go with for the aftermarket kit. I called them directly and they are in production of making one but they won't give out any release dates.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't go cutting up the circuit board or dash bezel just yet. Zackmd1's suggestion of buying another board is a great idea but I doubt they have any yet or even buy just a board. You may only be able to order the entire dash bezel right now since the cars are basically made to order. That dash bezel will be extremely expensive and hard order right now.

Metra is probably the only company I'd go with for the aftermarket kit. I called them directly and they are in production of making one but they won't give out any release dates.
Good point on the likely non availability from Ford for some time (and likely not as a separate part).

Thanks for the Metra recommendation. And you'll hear from Metra before any of us looking from the retail level. We'll be all ears when these dash kits become available. From what little I had researched Scosche seemed pricier than Metra on similar kits. Is that your take also?

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
Excellent! Very good to not have to learn by pulling too many (or not enough) panel off! Great idea to buy clips ahead of time! Is there only one kind of clip and the parts guy will know which we'd need? If you happen to still have the P/N that would be great. If not, should not be too hard to figure out at the dealer with the exploded parts view.
Thanks again!
There is probably a dozen clips on the aluminum dash piece and 6-8 on the console. There are anywhere from 2-5 on every plastic panel in the car that you have to remove. There are many different color clips but they are all physically the same, only a different color. PN is W717661-S300

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19738&d=1422923429

Sponsored

Gmacguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP
Gmacguyver,
Big thanks for the details you have provided. I never would have thought about what Android version the new 8100nex would support, so thanks. It seems AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S5 won't get Lollipo 5.0 until (hopefully) later this month. My wife's older Lg G3 got it in Feb. So I should be good on that front.

Now my big concern is if the 8100nex could (or be made to) work with the base 4.3" non MyFordTouch system that my car came with. Any ideas on how I might check into this?

Have you heard any more specific info, other than 'March', for the 8100nex to be available?

It would be great to hear back when you see your first 8100nex and Maestro on their connections/features etc.

Thanks for the very helpful info!!!:thumbsup:
Just giving you an update.... The 8100NEX have just started hitting the shelves you may be able to find them at some shops and I've seen them back ordered online. I also did the update for android auto on the 4100NEX and it does only work on 5.0 and higher and you need to install the android auto app from the marketplace to make it work. You can root you phone run for example cyanogenmod to get 5.0 if you want it to work now. I have to play around with it a little bit more but so far it works pretty good

Iceman2733

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Question might seem odd but i wonder if we could soon just buy the screen and bezel from ford and it work in these cars?

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Just giving you an update.... The 8100NEX have just started hitting the shelves you may be able to find them at some shops and I've seen them back ordered online. I also did the update for android auto on the 4100NEX and it does only work on 5.0 and higher and you need to install the android auto app from the marketplace to make it work. You can root you phone run for example cyanogenmod to get 5.0 if you want it to work now. I have to play around with it a little bit more but so far it works pretty good
I'm with ATT who is notorius for doing OS updates 3-4 months after everyone else. SO it may be another 3 months before I get 5.0 Lolipop.
Any idea if the new panasonic 8100 will be similar in price to the 8000 (≈ $870 IIRC).

I know you'll get back to us if you install an 8001 into a Mustang (or even similar Ford. :thumbsup:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So you guys wanted to see more of the base model center stack? :D
Unfortunately it is all one board so aftermarket companies will need to have climate controls on top of the push button start. The nice surprise though is that the base model buttons are not attached to the board! There MIGHT be a way to get the toggle switches on the base model!

Cutting the board might not be the best option... There really isn't a nice partition of electronics like I was hoping there would be.. I think it would be possible though to fit an lcd screen in front of the board by removing the buttons and mounts. There is about .75" of space between the board and the face of the bezel.

Now onto dimensions for a 2 din unit... In order to have a 2 din unit in place of the screen you will need to relocate the sync module. There is only about 3.75" between the module and the panel. With the module relocated you will have 5". You will need a shallow 2 din unit.
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0905.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0911.jpg
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
My plan is to create my own info-tament system. I am researching a few things but I believe I will be going with something called Centrafuse. Link below to it. Basically I will be creating a 40-80Gb desktop pc that I would then use to power a 7-8" touch screen. I will mount the screen right in front of the base model circuit board so that there will be no cutting of the board but rather some modification to the bezel. Using other modules I should be able to get both the steering wheel controls and the volume/tuner nobs working with the system.

Centrafuse demo: [ame]

Oh and the best part! I can modify the skin of centrafuse with a program called centrafuse studio. This will allow me to make the system look like MyFordTouch or Sync 3 or a custom theme.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting. So you are not looking at changing the headunit, but literally just the screen! I am not THAT tech savy. :)

Can you describe what functionality you would gain in our set up? Would it operate with the same functionality but features, options, menus would be via touch csreen instead of buttons?

How would the windows OS of this screen communicate with the cars' OS? Thanks for all the great pics from behind the scenes (stack ;)). All your efforts and tech savy are GREATLY appreciated. :cheers:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting. So you are not looking at changing the headunit, but literally just the screen! I am not THAT tech savy. :)

Can you describe what functionality you would gain in our set up? Would it operate with the same functionality but features, options, menus would be via touch csreen instead of buttons?

How would the windows OS of this screen communicate with the cars' OS? Thanks for all the great pics from behind the scenes (stack ;)). All your efforts and tech savy are GREATLY appreciated. :cheers:
I actually am changing everything! The headunit, sync module, and screen will be replaced with my hardware. Like I said I will be building a desktop pc that will control everything the current system does. I will be using a desktop board that has 8 channel audio. That means I will have aux in, mic in, front speakers, rear speakers, sub out, and optical audio out. On top of this I plan to use around a 500 watt amp with at least upgraded door speakers.

The functionality I will gain is literally endless on top of being a touch screen! Because it is windows os any app that a windows pc will run will run on my headunit. All of the functionality of the stock headunit will be retained as well.

Features I will gain:

Navigation
60Gb hard drive storage for media
Airplay
Carplay (if app is released)
OBD II integration
Internet (when connected to phone)
Sat radio
HD FM radio

Stock features retained:

Steering wheel controls
Volume knob/ tuner knob controls
Bluetooth audio/Handsfree
USB
Aux 3.5 jack
Voice control
Outside Ambient air temp

I will loose applink... But that is easily fixed by downloading the apps for pc.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I actually am changing everything! The headunit, sync module, and screen will be replaced with my hardware. Like I said I will be building a desktop pc that will control everything the current system does. I will be using a desktop board that has 8 channel audio. That means I will have aux in, mic in, front speakers, rear speakers, sub out, and optical audio out. On top of this I plan to use around a 500 watt amp with at least upgraded door speakers.

The functionality I will gain is literally endless on top of being a touch screen! Because it is windows os any app that a windows pc will run will run on my headunit. All of the functionality of the stock headunit will be retained as well.

Features I will gain:

Navigation
60Gb hard drive storage for media
Airplay
Carplay (if app is released)
OBD II integration
Internet (when connected to phone)
Sat radio
HD FM radio

Stock features retained:

Steering wheel controls
Volume knob/ tuner knob controls
Bluetooth audio/Handsfree
USB
Aux 3.5 jack
Voice control
Outside Ambient air temp

I will loose applink... But that is easily fixed by downloading the apps for pc.
There is only one thing to say to your project...

OMG ! ! :eyebulge:
This looks to be an amazing set up! Not having that level of Tech savvy, I'll just hope to gleen a few things that can help me mod my 4.3" set up to a 7" aftermarket headunit. It may require some decent mods, but compared to your project, mine would be considered 'Plug-n-Play'. :lol:

I'll enjoy watching your journey immensely!:thumbsup:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
There is only one thing to say to your project...

OMG ! ! :eyebulge:
This looks to be an amazing set up! Not having that level of Tech savvy, I'll just hope to gleen a few things that can help me mod my 4.3" set up to a 7" aftermarket headunit. It may require some decent mods, but compared to your project, mine would be considered 'Plug-n-Play'. :lol:

I'll enjoy watching your journey immensely!:thumbsup:
Haha lets hope I can actually get this to work! It will be awhile before I can really start on this project. (with the semester still going my free time is non existent) That and I am still running tests on centrafuse to determine if it is stable enough for my needs. For the 2 weeks I have been testing it has yet to disappoint! It seems much more stable then sync. Plus I am hoping to wait until windows 10 is released (June timeframe).
Sponsored