Stereo base 4.3" head unit upgrade: Ideas? Plans?***

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Anyone done or planning to mount an aftermarket head unit? Especially 7" touch screen in place of the Base 4.3" head unit? I don't have my car yet.

Please chime in with ideas you have had to change your base head unit to.

EDIT 1: (2/27 some text above and...)
Info on Bezel Modification kit required:
Crutchfied "No idea when kits would be available, just keep checking back."
AAMP of America says "The mustang requires a dash kit that also replaces the factory climate controls when replacing the factory radio. Unfortunately we do not offer a solution at this time."
Scosche
"End of 2015 likely for their kit." (they mentioned climate controls also)
Metra No word yet.

I just listened to the CES Crutchfield video about Pioneer's AVIC-8000NEX.
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_130800...howAll=N&search=Pioneer_AVIC-8000NEX&skipvs=T
The guy does say that the 8000NEX has I-Data Link Maestro compatibility which he says hooks up to Ford's Sync to keep those functions. So that is promising. :) This seems very cool. It does not show as compatible for 2015 Mustang (or any 2015 Ford except F250/350/ Transit). The current AVIC-8000NEX does show on Crutchfield as fitting the 2014 Mustang, so an aftermarket bezel kit just needs to be created to mount this (and new 2nd gen. 8001NEX). Metra an Scosche are two vendors that Crutchfield uses for install bezel kits.

Note: Android compatibilty will only be in the 2nd gen. Pioneer 'x'100 NEX units: Info on AVIC-8100NEX http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVIC-8100NEX
"There will no update for android auto for the old pioneer NEX models (4000,5000,6000,7000 & 8000) android auto is a new feature only available for the second generation of the NEX series (4100, 7100 & 8100)....these models will become available on March 2015."

So I'll need to wait for the new 8100 AND mounting hardware (late 2015?) to install it... Or make my own? Oh, and my car in late March! ;)

EDIT 2: Zackmd1 is considering these head units for replacing his base head unit. Appradio 4 or Parrot RNB6.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Only info available on 1st gen 8000NEX now. (from Amazon review)

The AVIC-8000NEX comes with a GPS antenna, bluetooth mic, usb cord, audio cord and stereo harness. It doesn't come with a back-up camera, but has 2 RCA ports in the back of the unit for video feed from 2 cameras. I purchased a Crimestopper license plate camera (http://www.amazon.com/Crimestopper-...18691934&sr=8-1&keywords=crimestopper+license) for my backup camera and installed a second camera for a towing camera. If you want to keep your factory settings (steering wheel controls, door chimes, tire pressure display etc.) you will need an interface adapter. I purchased an Datalink Maestro rr adapter and a GM5+T harness and speaker.

I doubt we'd be lucky enough in an OEM set up to have our back up camera plug into the screen (or where ever) via an RCA connector, but would adapting the camera cable to an RCA connector be easy?

This dual camera input would solve my wanting to install a second camera on the front right side of car to hopefully work for both a 'side curb' and 'front curb' visibility in one camera. If it gets adapted for our 2015's AND for replacing the base 4.3" head unit.

Last edited:

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll get you a pic of the base radio in the am.... I really like my car, with the exceptions of the radio and the exhaust. Once I upgrade the exhaust I won't be able to tell the radio is even on except to look at the screen!

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase

SSLByron

Media Hack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leftlanenews.com
First Name
Byron
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard GT PP
Crutchfield doesn't have any compatibility info in for the S550 yet. I've been keeping an eye out. I'm tempted to email them and ask when they plan to have it in the database.

Sponsored

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Crutchfield doesn't have any compatibility info in for the S550 yet. I've been keeping an eye out. I'm tempted to email them and ask when they plan to have it in the database.
Please do that. I thought and forgot to do that. I will do it now. They need to hear multiple requests to light a fire. :)

EDIT: just sent inquiry to Crutchfield.

Angel14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Seems like your gunna have to replace the entire piece of plastic to get a new receiver in their. Hope they can keep the metal knobs but doubt it

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Angel,
I can't tell from pic, but I HOPE the seam a just above the knobs is a physical break and not just a visual indentation. Can someone measure height from highest point to: 1) just below Phone & Menu buttons, 2) Line just above knobs?

The specs for the Pioneer capacitive 7" touchscreen are below. It is called a 2 DIN which means 4"tall, so the 6" dimension is confusing.

Technical Details
Item Weight6.2 pounds Product Dimensions6 x 9.6 x 6 inches Item model numberAVIC8000NEX Display Size7 inches WarrantyONE YEAR Auxiliary InputBluetooth Built-in, HD Radio Built-in, Satellite Radio optional, iPod Built-in Dock

The "DIN" label refers to the size of the in-dash stereo unit, or "head" unit. Single-DIN and double-DIN stereos are about 7 inches wide, with 2 and 4 inches of height, respectively. Stereo depth will vary, so you may need to measure the car-stereo cavity in your dash.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
For anyone interested in getting head unit adaption for aftermarket, besides emailing Crutchfield, also send a message to Metra and Scosche who make the plastic mounting kits. As of now, they list nothing for any 2015 cars.

http://www.metraonline.com/contact-us-thank-you

EDIT: I just spoke with Crutchfield. They do not actually make the plastic adapter kits. They sell ones made by Meta, Scosche, etc. I called Scosche. They do not expect to have anything until the end of 2015 (ouch). Scosche's was $430 on Crutcfield. $280 if purch with head unit.

Metra's adapter for the 2014 is $230. It is an entire new center stack surround. From this picture (of the '14) it looks like we'd lose the knobs going with a 7" touchscreen like the Pioneer 8001NEX.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-5826CH++++++

No word from Metra yet, but if Scosche is a model, we're not seeing install kits for 2015's for a long time.

Anyone know of other companies that make installation kits that we can contact?

Last edited:

Sponsored

imjuslazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gti
I'm hoping for a lot of options as far as double-din installs go since this is not a global car and I'm sure the european and asian markets will have something as well.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping for a lot of options as far as double-din installs go since this is not a global car and I'm sure the european and asian markets will have something as well.
Did you mean "is NOW a global car?" (which I believe it is)

Angel14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
The knobs are gone for sure since the CD slot is in between them. Looks like it's going to be a like the 2014 models where the most of the center stack gets replaced. Bummer really liked the knobs.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The knobs are gone for sure since the CD slot is in between them. Looks like it's going to be a like the 2014 models where the most of the center stack gets replaced. Bummer really liked the knobs.
I guess we'll be stuck with steering wheel volume (argh, hold wait...). I wonder if the capacitive touch screen will be much if any better for volume control than a PIA regular touch screen?

Like you, I'd much prefer the ease and quickness of knob adjustment. Sounds like I will have plenty of time to get used to my stock head unit, since adapter kits are not likely anytime soon.;)

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I guess we'll be stuck with steering wheel volume (argh, hold wait...). I wonder if the capacitive touch screen will be much if any better for volume control than a PIA regular touch screen?

Like you, I'd much prefer the ease and quickness of knob adjustment. Sounds like I will have plenty of time to get used to my stock head unit, since adapter kits are not likely anytime soon.;)
We can always make our own! ;)

Thankfully the radio controls are nicely separated from the rest of the climate controls. If you inspect the bezel closely you can see the control circuit board behind the plastic. It is set in a good .5" from the face of the center stack bezel. This is a perfect amount of room to fit either a thin tablet or open frame touchscreen LCD in. No cutting of the control board just the removal of the buttons. From here you can connect either a custom headunit (think CarPC) or an aftermarket unit with a bit of modification.

I have been thinking about doing this project for awhile now and there is always one thing I can never figure out... That is phone connectivity. Nothing currently on the market in terms of android apps or windows apps will seamlessly connect to your phone. I am hoping that will change with Android M/Windows 10.
Sponsored