Sponsored

Aftermarket Head Unit/Stereo

ESNB74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Conv
New to this Forum. I have 2016 EcoBoost Premium Convertible that I want Apple CarPlay in. I've done the upgrade to Sync 3, bought the new USB module from Ford. Still doesn't work...

I ran into these two options when doing some searching:

1) Nifty City

2) Linkswell

Has anyone ever tried these T-Style unit out? Good, Bad?

If not, what else is out there to "modernize" a 2016 Stereo?
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've done the upgrade to Sync 3, bought the new USB module from Ford. Still doesn't work...
You purchased a new SYNC 3 head unit and installed it?

OP
OP
ESNB74

ESNB74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Just downloaded the Ford update. It says Sync 3.0 now. Can you purchase a new head unit to make it work? I really want Wireless CarPlay, not really a fan of the wired.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
No. Just downloaded the Ford update. It says Sync 3.0 now.
Connect to the internet and have it scan for updates again. It's possible it's SYNC3, but a really, really old version of it.

Don't know anything about wireless Carplay. I use Android, and plug in.

Why do you not want to plug in? It's the way to keep your battery charged so you're not burning through it running all those aps.

OP
OP
ESNB74

ESNB74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Done that.... no luck. Even my Ford Pass says I have the latest version.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Done that.... no luck. Even my Ford Pass says I have the latest version.
Not to be a smartass, but have you downloaded Apple Carplay to your phone? Updated it?

Yorkshire_OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Does Sync 3 have wireless CarPlay? I thought you needed Sync 4 for that and that's a S650 thing. I just bought myself a wireless CarPlay adapter and leave that plugged in in the armrest and use wire free connectivity.

Perfectly happy to be educated on this, I've had an enlightening day on here already lol

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No. Just downloaded the Ford update. It says Sync 3.0 now. Can you purchase a new head unit to make it work? I really want Wireless CarPlay, not really a fan of the wired.
Yes, you can replace the sync2 unit with a Sync 3 one. They run about $700 for the conversion. Amazon has them - if you trust them for something like that. Or there's a company out of Chicago called "All Things Sync" that I've had good luck with.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Sync3 doesn't have wireless Apple unless you by an aftermarket adapter. Amazon sells them for around $70. It plugs into the wired port and makes wireless car play possible. The unit i bought has worked great the passed 2 years.

The aftermarket T screens you mention are hit or miss. I have one friend that's its been flawless and one guy that went back to Sync a week later due to how buggy it was.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Not to be a smartass, but have you downloaded Apple Carplay to your phone? Updated it?
iPhones dont require a separate app, its built in to the OS.

OP ford doesn't have wireless carplay on this generation of car, i woun't ever consider those aftermarket tesla style head units. They are notoriously flaky, some people have no issues other have endless issues. Things like back up camera integration, steering wheel buttons and other related items.

Run of the mill imported junk sadly, they do look very nice though!

Sponsored

spankybranch

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Geoffrey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Edge ST, 2022 Mach1
You’re working with this unit? And it has the the latest version? I had a 2016 that I updated and used the new hub from a Lincoln model and it worked. Are you plugging the phone directly into the new compatible USB block? Try an Apple/good cable. Do you see the option in sync settings for CarPlay?

https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/

IMG_5460.jpeg

OP
OP
ESNB74

ESNB74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. I use CarPlay in my F150 everyday.

OP
OP
ESNB74

ESNB74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re working with this unit? And it has the the latest version? I had a 2016 that I updated and used the new hub from a Lincoln model and it worked. Are you plugging the phone directly into the new compatible USB block? Try an Apple/good cable. Do you see the option in sync settings for CarPlay?

https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/

IMG_5460.jpeg
Yep. All the above. When I plug into the new hub (and I've tried two hubs) I get a warning of an incompatible USB Devise is plugged in. I even showed the dealer and they were baffled.

OP
OP
ESNB74

ESNB74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sync3 doesn't have wireless Apple unless you by an aftermarket adapter. Amazon sells them for around $70. It plugs into the wired port and makes wireless car play possible. The unit i bought has worked great the passed 2 years.

The aftermarket T screens you mention are hit or miss. I have one friend that's its been flawless and one guy that went back to Sync a week later due to how buggy it was.
Correct. Sync 3 only accepts wired CarPlay unless you have the wireless adapter like I do in my Sync 3 2020 F-150.

OP
OP
ESNB74

ESNB74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since posting this, I finally found a couple other threads on this forum about the Linkswell T-Style unit. Seems to be good reviews.
Sponsored