Sponsored

Stereo Amps Cutting Out

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Hello everyone. I recently completed my audio build in my 2015 base gt. I installed a kenwood headunit with metra kit, new speakers front and rear, two 10 inch subs, and two amps (one for speakers, one for subs). I ran a separate 4 gauge wire to each amp and made a nice short ground to the body of the car. I also upgraded to the oem premium alternator and installed an XS Power D4700 battery. I have installed systems in every car I have owned and never had problems except with this mustang. Sometimes when I accelerate hard, the amps stop playing but the headunit stays on. I turn the headunit off and back on and everything returns to normal. Due to the amps being mounted in the trunk I can’t tell if they are losing power completely when this happens. Does anyone have an idea what can be going on so I have an idea where to start?
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Are you sure your power connections to the amps and the ground are solid? Maybe something is moving around when you accelerate. It's probably something physical vs. electrical but:

I'm not sure what is involved with an alternator swap. I.E. is it simply a bolt-on and go, or if you have to make changes in Forscan, or change any other modules? When you accelerate, the engine speed is high, which means the alternator is spinning fast. If power is cutting out at high engine rpms, something obviously isn't right.

But I still think it's a physical issue. Check your connections at the battery as well. Make sure the factory battery terminals are actually tightening.

OP
OP

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Thanks for the response. The battery terminals are nice and tight. My thought was the force from accelerating quickly was tugging on a wire or something but the box and amps are securely mounted so nothing should be moving. As far as the alternator goes, based on the research I did no changes are necessary in forscan but it could be an issue.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
What you could do is: While parked, have a helper watch the amps in the trunk. Rev the engine to 4-5K and hold it. If the amp power lights go out, it's an electrical issue. I wish you luck with this issue!

ps
I'm assuming you did but I'll ask: After the swap did you verify with a DMM that you're getting 13.5+ volts at the battery? Unlikely, but maybe your replacement alternator is bad. Is it new or is it a junkyard find?

Last edited:

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
Was the coating at the main battery terminal where the power is connected. I doubt its that since its only on hard accel, a poor connection there would likely show up under all conditions but it can compromise the connection if it wasn't done. Loosing your ground could cause issues as well.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Can you monitor the charging voltage when accelerating? Maybe the new alternator has a bad regulator and the voltage is going too high causing the amplifiers to go into protection mode?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Did you check your amp turn-on output? I am assuming that you’re using the amp turn-on output of the Kenwood head unit and not a signal sense/DC offset setting on the amplifiers. Since you have more than one amp, there is a splice somewhere.

OP
OP

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I tapped into a 12v source I found in one of the threads for the amp turn on. I am going to do some testing while having another person around to see what stuff I can rule out.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I tapped into a 12v source I found in one of the threads for the amp turn on. I am going to do some testing while having another person around to see what stuff I can rule out.
I would use the Kenwood remote turn-on lead to activate your amplifiers.
Sponsored