Sponsored

Steering popping vibration when sharp turning

turdbocharged

Threads
Reaction score
My 2015 GT PP Premium is making a loud popping noise, accompanied by vibrations in the steering column. This happens when turning the wheel sharply, at low speeds, and is easily reproduced when turning sharply while coming down a steep driveway. I can feel something binding

I doubt this is normal right? The car has 300 miles.

Josh
Sponsored

JolleyRoger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT PP
My 2015 GT PP Premium is making a loud popping noise, accompanied by vibrations in the steering column. This happens when turning the wheel sharply, at low speeds, and is easily reproduced when turning sharply while coming down a steep driveway. I can feel something binding

Josh
Steep as in maybe sliding a little and the ABS kicks in? I would as the dealer to look at it.;)

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
I've experienced the same, only after the car sitting though. Feels like the Torsen bind but in the front, not too worried at the moment.

Last edited:

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
What was the temperature outside when this happened? If it was below 40* it could be the tires themselves. Summer compounds get really hard in cold weather and will literally skip over the pavement at sharp steering angles like that, causing a popping/vibration.

Sponsored

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
What was the temperature outside when this happened? If it was below 40* it could be the tires themselves. Summer compounds get really hard in cold weather and will literally skip over the pavement at sharp steering angles like that, causing a popping/vibration.
Good possibility, Michigan has been temperamental with weather and its been under 40 on and off. No issues and I'm not worried about it, only has done it a few times.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
My 06 Mustang did that with about 30,000 miles on it. It was the upper strut mounts.

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it was 28 here last night in NE Ohio.
Definitely the tires. You won't have any problem once it warms up. :thumbsup:

It's too soon for you to have noises coming from the suspension. If it doesn't go away once it warms up then I'd be more concerned.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Josh

Hey Josh,

I see you've had some diagnosis here; if you decide to take it to the dealer though, let me know via PM. I'll grab some info and look into options on my end to further assist. :thumbsup:

Jeff :ford:

Sponsored
OP
OP

turdbocharged

Threads
Reaction score
Ok just to update, it's been in the 50s here for 2 days and I have not experienced this issue.
It must have been the tires. Thanks for the help,you guys are great, and I'm sorry for starting this useless thread.

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok just to update, it's been in the 50s here for 2 days and I have not experienced this issue.
It must have been the tires. Thanks for the help,you guys are great, and I'm sorry for starting this useless thread.
Not useless at all! This is often a surprise issue for many people experiencing summer compound tires for the first time. :thumbsup:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My 2016 GTPP is doing this, and it's very un-nerving. Are we pretty certain it's the tires? It's happening when the temps are 40 or so and lower, so I'm not surprised if that's the case.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
I don't thinks it's the tires. Mine has done this a few times. It's also been only when backing out of my driveway and turning. It lets out a little pop sound from strut area, but it does also feel like the tires skipping. Mine wasn't cold weather related.
Sponsored