Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
TJ, please give us MT82 guys some more insight on Steeda’s drag car when it had the MT82 tranny in it. Information pertaining to manual drag cars appears to be very scarce nowadays. Things like suspension, which tires, clutch, launch rpm and method worked best. Lastly, at what point and why was the decision made to switch to an auto tranny? Thanks.

The 2018 Silver Bullet model was originally equipped with an automatic 10R80 transmission. During our testing phase, we conducted limited evaluations with the #20 car before it transitioned to its role as our primary track car. Our primary focus for the #20 car was to develop and create the most exceptional S550 suspension available - on & off the track.

It's important to note that various factors, such as tire selection, launch RPM, tire pressure, and shock/strut settings, are unique to each vehicle.

Modern automatic transmissions have surpassed factory manuals in terms of strength and reliability (in our resident Drag Racer - Scott's opinion), which has led to the reason we chose that for the Silver Bullet.

Let me know if this helps.

TJ
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
We frequently conduct wheel changes and tire configurations for testing purposes, and our preferred brand for these operations is Nitto.

Over time, we have established a strong and mutually beneficial relationship with Nitto due to their exceptional products and reliable support.

Their tire offerings align well with our testing needs, making Nitto the brand of choice for our testing and evaluation activities.

I will inquire on what type of set-up we were running on this day.

Best Regards,

TJ

Cup2s

OP
OP
tj@steeda

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This past weekend, we utilized the NT01 during the first session out to allow the driver to re-acquaint himself with the car and track - along with the setup we were running.

After that session was over we switched to a Hoosier R7 racing slick.

Best Regards,

TJ

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Modern automatic transmissions have surpassed factory manuals in terms of strength and reliability (in our resident Drag Racer - Scott's opinion), which has led to the reason we chose that for the Silver Bullet
Shifting is great, but it's the reliability that's the question, primarily because cooling can be an issue. The A10 is a good gearbox, but there's a reason why the DCT exists. I'm guessing that the Ford cal slips the converter way too much, which might be a easy fix, but I'm curious what you'll have to do on the cooling side.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
This past weekend, we utilized the NT01 during the first session out to allow the driver to re-acquaint himself with the car and track - along with the setup we were running.

Best Regards,

TJ

Thank you TJ

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
@SteedaTech or anyone if you that can answer…

what is the most spring rate that can be used with your adjustable dampers ? Front and rear.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
450 front and 1200 rear.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase

Best Regards,

TJ
What size R7? I'd plan to pick up a set for HDPE. I have apex 19x11 square they recommend the 295/30. Also from my experience with sport 4s, cup 2's and RT660's. 40lb cold pressures seem like a lot. What cold range are you guys starting off at?

OP
OP
tj@steeda

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I spoke to our team, this is their suggestion:

We run a 315/30 on a 18x11. For 19x11 we unfortunately do not have a tire size recommendation. As for tire pressures cold range is very difficult to answer - it would all depend on:
  1. What region of the country
  2. Race track
  3. Use of nitrogen or regular air
All of these are factors on how much tire pressure build-up you get once at operating temps.

What we can suggest is the hot psi they should be aiming for when their tires are at operating temps.

For the Hoosier R7 we like to see right around 38psi hot, even though Hoosier recommends 40-42psi hot.

Here in South Florida we generally start a R7 around 31 or 32 using nitrogen.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored