Steeda Tune is great!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
So, I purchased the tune from Steeda a couple of weeks ago. I updated the tuner today and uploaded the tune to the device. I have done this on 8 other vehicles with the SCT tuner before. So, I plug the SCT 4 into the OBD port and it lists the Steeda Bullitt tune and "5.0 Mustang" tune as stock. So, I assumed it would take my stock tune file, enter it in to the SCT 4 and then upload the Steeda tune. I went through every prompt and what was unusual is when it went through the screens, it also displayed the octane, spark, etc. I left all as was on the screen.

Then it said there was an error loading and to return to stock. However on the program screen the only options were the steeda tune and the Mustang 5.0 tune as the stock tune. I attempted to upload and it would not upload. It told me to return to stock. So, back to the screen with the custom Steeda tune and the stock 5.0 Mustang tune.

Well after going round and round a few times, I quit. Started the car and the advance trac light and traction control lights stayed on. The car did start and I immediately turned it off.

Steeda is closed, but I am stressed out about this. I have never not seen the prompt "return to stock" no listed.

I am very concerned my stock tune is somehow gone. For those of you that have used the steeda tune, what was your experience?
Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
This sounds more like a SCT problem than a problem with Steeda or its tune, so you may wanna post this in the general tuning section as well for more feedback.
Or call Steeda

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Contacted Steeda. Somehow I am thinking the tuner updated either incorrectly or is malfunctionling. Never saw this happen before. Not driving the car until I get it figured out.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Leave her parked until Monday and get Steeda on the phone.

Sounds like an error with the SCT tuner occurred during its update.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Thank. Exactly what I'm going to do. Another reason to use the tuner while in the driveway.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Thank. Exactly what I'm going to do. Another reason to use the tuner while in the driveway.
One thing I learned like 12yrs ago is never update SCT devices if they are already working fine. I had a few brick on me.

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Bullitt, 2017 Shelby GT350
So, I purchased the tune from Steeda a couple of weeks ago. I updated the tuner today and uploaded the tune to the device. I have done this on 8 other vehicles with the SCT tuner before. So, I plug the SCT 4 into the OBD port and it lists the Steeda Bullitt tune and "5.0 Mustang" tune as stock. So, I assumed it would take my stock tune file, enter it in to the SCT 4 and then upload the Steeda tune. I went through every prompt and what was unusual is when it went through the screens, it also displayed the octane, spark, etc. I left all as was on the screen.

Then it said there was an error loading and to return to stock. However on the program screen the only options were the steeda tune and the Mustang 5.0 tune as the stock tune. I attempted to upload and it would not upload. It told me to return to stock. So, back to the screen with the custom Steeda tune and the stock 5.0 Mustang tune.

Well after going round and round a few times, I quit. Started the car and the advance trac light and traction control lights stayed on. The car did start and I immediately turned it off.

Steeda is closed, but I am stressed out about this. I have never not seen the prompt "return to stock" no listed.

I am very concerned my stock tune is somehow gone. For those of you that have used the steeda tune, what was your experience?

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Bullitt, 2017 Shelby GT350
I can give you Tuning by James number Bob if you need it, He is a great guy and I am sure he would help you!

Sponsored

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Did you get this sorted out yet? I have the tuner in my cart at Steeda but this scares me a little....

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Update. Tom PM'd me about contacting James directly. He is AWESOME! He spent nearly 2 hours with me explaining the way the tuners work in detail. From there we went through the entire process. It looks like the device did not update properly. In fact it had to be done several times. When updating, if ANY of the lines are red, it has not properly updated. Once updated, we loaded it in the Bullitt and it took the tune! Also, my stock tune showed up. But, the car still said such things as hill assist not working, advancetrac not working, etc. This is after driving it for about 10 minutes. He told me to put the car in the garage and disconnect the batter for a half hour and that should clear the issues presented when trying to put in a tune with an un-updated tuner.
I went out about an hour later and hooked the battery up. Started and all idiot lights are gone!
I just got back from an appt driving my Explorer. I will go out and drive the Bullitt now that the rain has stopped and report back, but believe all is fixed.
This fellow is truly a very nice and helpful person. But, Steeda just told me to contact SCT. Not good customer service in my opinion. If Tom had not told me to go to James directly it might have gotten fixed, but SCT's wait time is really long.
Steeda, you need to get better at this.
I will report back tonight after driving the Bullitt to dinner with my daughter.
Mark, I promise I will get back with you.
Tom, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Update. Tom PM'd me about contacting James directly. He is AWESOME! He spent nearly 2 hours with me explaining the way the tuners work in detail. From there we went through the entire process. It looks like the device did not update properly. In fact it had to be done several times. When updating, if ANY of the lines are red, it has not properly updated. Once updated, we loaded it in the Bullitt and it took the tune! Also, my stock tune showed up. But, the car still said such things as hill assist not working, advancetrac not working, etc. This is after driving it for about 10 minutes. He told me to put the car in the garage and disconnect the batter for a half hour and that should clear the issues presented when trying to put in a tune with an un-updated tuner.
I went out about an hour later and hooked the battery up. Started and all idiot lights are gone!
I just got back from an appt driving my Explorer. I will go out and drive the Bullitt now that the rain has stopped and report back, but believe all is fixed.
This fellow is truly a very nice and helpful person. But, Steeda just told me to contact SCT. Not good customer service in my opinion. If Tom had not told me to go to James directly it might have gotten fixed, but SCT's wait time is really long.
Steeda, you need to get better at this.
I will report back tonight after driving the Bullitt to dinner with my daughter.
Mark, I promise I will get back with you.
Tom, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Whom did you speak with at Steeda? I apologize for what you have experienced but the the sales professional may have directed you to SCT first to resolve the potential issues you were having if our tuning dept. was unavailable.

We were directly with James too ... that would have been the next steps in the communication process.

Let me know if I can assist further.

TJ

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks bob, I want to do the tune but definitely don't want to introduce gremlins into my car. Also your opinion on seat of the pants HP increase would be appreciated . Cheers

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Whom did you speak with at Steeda? I apologize for what you have experienced but the the sales professional may have directed you to SCT first to resolve the potential issues you were having if our tuning dept. was unavailable.

We were directly with James too ... that would have been the next steps in the communication process.

Let me know if I can assist further.

TJ
TJ. When I sent in the concern, the response was to contact SCT directly. From previous Mustangs I know this process can take an hour or two on the phone. What concerned me is the response to contact them directly instead of finding out the issues. Steeda was the selling vendor on both the tuner and the tune.
Logic says you should have attempted to solve this with me before just punting to SCT. Another member here told me to contact James directly which was excellent advice. Steeda did not do this. I like your products, but when a customer buys a tuner from you, installs it and has problems on a brand new $50,000 car, I expected a better response.
James was excellent, but that advice did not come from your place and it should have. I was majorly stressed out.
You can check the email I sent to Steeda for both sides of the conversation.
Sponsored