bigmac5166

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Steeda Transmission Bushing, Steeda Shifter Base Bracket/Bushing, and BG Synchro Shift II (OP Mustang Kit) and thought I'd share the experience. The install for all three of these was relatively painless. Biggest issue was needing to buy some wheel cribs to raise the car while keeping it level for the fluid swap. I know that an actual shifter swap would probably be miles better, but for the price and effort my GT feels like a whole new car now. I have zero perceived increase in NHV, but I did drill two 3/8" holes in the transmission bushing as recommended in some reviews. If you are frustrated with your stock setup and don't want to shell out/mess with a complete new shifter, then I'd say this is your best bet!
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Installed the Steeda Transmission Bushing, Steeda Shifter Base Bracket/Bushing, and BG Synchro Shift II (OP Mustang Kit) and thought I'd share the experience. The install for all three of these was relatively painless. Biggest issue was needing to buy some wheel cribs to raise the car while keeping it level for the fluid swap. I know that an actual shifter swap would probably be miles better, but for the price and effort my GT feels like a whole new car now. I have zero perceived increase in NHV, but I did drill two 3/8" holes in the transmission bushing as recommended in some reviews. If you are frustrated with your stock setup and don't want to shell out/mess with a complete new shifter, then I'd say this is your best bet!
I've heard that the Ford Performance shifter + the Steeda upgrades really go a long way in improving the stock feel.

OP
OP
bigmac5166

bigmac5166

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard that the Ford Performance shifter + the Steeda upgrades really go a long way in improving the stock feel.
I’ve heard the same. Might tackle that next if I end up desiring more. For now I’m very happy with the change!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I’ve heard the same. Might tackle that next if I end up desiring more. For now I’m very happy with the change!
Good to hear I have those parts already waiting in my parts pile. Just need the shifter myself.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Drilling those holes are essential to controlling the noise. The bushing insert stopped all of my high rpm lockout.

Sponsored

IntenseGT

In The Air of The Night
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19' GT MT PP1 PREM AE MR - MAGNETIC
Drilling those holes are essential to controlling the noise. The bushing insert stopped all of my high rpm lockout.
Thinking of having steeda install this since they are local... can you guys show me a photo of the holes you're drilling?

OP
OP
bigmac5166

bigmac5166

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking of having steeda install this since they are local... can you guys show me a photo of the holes you're drilling?
Don’t have one of what it looked like but I doodled on this picture so you can see what I did. Two 3/8” holes.

9599BB9E-62A1-40A5-B860-A8A346B5A745.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
basically they are swiss-cheesing the insert longitudinally - drilling long holes down the length (orange), not drilling them thru the short/flat dimension (blue). Now if you want to drill (blue) I'd go bigger on the holes or do a triangle or diamond pattern of 3 or 4.

I have 2 cars with this Steeda trans bushing in unmolested state. The GT makes a righteous amount of trans gear growl when properly caning it, but under normal conditions you get an undercurrent which is not objectionable. But most of the other cabin noise is coming from the the IRS thanks to the BMR CB005+762 setup. I get various thuds when preloading the drive-line but none of the howl/singing of the diff you get with diff lockout kits which use 'pucks'. I have the Whiteline diff bushing replacement kit.

Now the EB has the same insert and mods but is very nearly silent (relative to factory) even when caning it. The big difference between them (aside from EB vibration is different from V8) is the EB has the Whiteline IRS bushing replacement. Which to me is the FAR better solution if a right royal pain to install. Because it's so quiet, I can hear the 'click/clack' of the drive-line being load/unloaded with each shift and also a bit less of the 'thud'.
trans bushing.jpeg

I have the Steeda short-throw shift rod in the GT and the stock Ford in the EB. I think I prefer the heavy, direct feeling of the Steeda but the the stocker is not at all problematic and is definitely lighter to the touch. It doesn't make the MT82 feel anything like a Tremec (one could argue has too little feedback). The MT82's 'positive' sensation of each gear change is still a nice contrast even if it's borne out of an inefficient linkage setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigmac5166

bigmac5166

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
basically they are swiss-cheesing the insert longitudinally - drilling long holes down the length (orange), not drilling them thru the short/flat dimension (blue). Now if you want to drill (blue) I'd go bigger on the holes or do a triangle or diamond pattern of 3 or 4.

I have 2 cars with this Steeda trans bushing in unmolested state. The GT makes a righteous amount of trans gear growl when properly caning it, but under normal conditions you get an undercurrent which is not objectionable. But most of the other cabin noise is coming from the the IRS thanks to the BMR CB005+762 setup. I get various thuds when preloading the drive-line but none of the howl/singing of the diff you get with diff lockout kits which use 'pucks'. I have the Whiteline diff bushing replacement kit.

Now the EB has the same insert and mods but is very nearly silent (relative to factory) even when caning it. The big difference between them (aside from EB vibration is different from V8) is the EB has the Whiteline IRS bushing replacement. Which to me is the FAR better solution if a right royal pain to install. Because it's so quiet, I can hear the 'click/clack' of the drive-line being load/unloaded with each shift and also a bit less of the 'thud'.
trans bushing.jpeg

I have the Steeda short-throw shift rod in the GT and the stock Ford in the EB. I think I prefer the heavy, direct feeling of the Steeda but the the stocker is not at all problematic and is definitely lighter to the touch. It doesn't make the MT82 feel anything like a Tremec (one could argue has too little feedback). The MT82's 'positive' sensation of each gear change is still a nice contrast even if it's borne out of an inefficient linkage setup.
You could be right in that I drilled it vertically, honestly can't remember. All I know is that I don't have any increase in NHV and it firmed things up nicely. I too don't find the MT-82 to be terrible or anything, I just like to tinker around. The only other manual I have ever driven was my dad's PT Cruiser 12 years ago, so ya not really a great comparison for me to go off of :cwl:

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, MT-82, Ruby Red
I'm doing similar - MGW shifter, BG SSII and braided clutch fluid line. Also did the Steeda spring a while back. we'll see how she goes after this.
Sponsored