GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Assuming you torqued everything correctly, your MT82 might just be looser than most and the stiffer mount reveals it more.
Interesting theory. My transmission does feel like it’s not secure recently when I’ve tried going over 5k rpm. It feels like I am about to break something on every shift. I can feel the clutch still spinning through my leg when I engage the clutch. This only started happening about a month ago.

Not sure what would make the trans so loose.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the whiteline front trans insert, the Steeda shifter rear mount and mine sounds nothing whatsoever like the video. There is basically no vibration felt even below 5000 rpm. Above, the trans growl is significantly louder than stock but it's not unpleasant.

Something is wrong with that install.
The install was pretty simple honestly. Maybe I might have to remove this gear box “weight.” Nobody else seems to have it installed. Not even the videos I’ve watched. Idk why it’s on my car. (Before install photos)
IMG_2551.jpeg
IMG_2550.jpeg

My theory is that the bushing is pressing against that metal pointy thing and making it vibrate? I definitely wasn’t expecting this launch noise.

My other theory is that maybe my trans isn’t aligned at the proper height? But then again under 2k rpm it’s perfectly fine 🤷‍♂️. I torqued everything to spec. I hope I didn’t bend anything when I lowered the suspension to make room for the install.

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Can the carbon overlays be removed from the radio/head unit area? I’m wondering if that would solve a lot of the vibration noise.
Those weren’t vibrating. Mainly the dash and gauges were vibrating. Ford interior just feels cheap. (Sorry if this offends anyone 🤷‍♂️)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Heh if s550 interior is cheap, you should see the previous generations!!
Weights are used to change harmonic frequencies. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have that giant weight either.

Did you unbolt anything around the trans? Like the tail support?

Just because a fastener appears tight doesn't mean parts are properly aligned or buttressed against their supports etc.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Those weren’t vibrating. Mainly the dash and gauges were vibrating. Ford interior just feels cheap. (Sorry if this offends anyone 🤷‍♂️)
No offense taken my car stickered at like $32,000 lolol. Hardly the pinnacle of luxury.

I’m honestly not too sure what else there is to do, maybe reassemble and just mull over every last fastener/lube the external of the bushing?

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I had that weight on mine. Tossed it out. It does help with nvh though on the stock setup.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Pull it, pop in an mgw. Still nvh because it's completely trans mounted but it's not bad at all. Definitely more vibration than stock but not much with noise or harshness. Unless it's something in your interior. Did you dynamat everything?

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did you unbolt anything around the trans? Like the tail support?

Just because a fastener appears tight doesn't mean parts are properly aligned or buttressed against their supports etc.
What is a trans tail support if you don’t mind explaining it. Which bolt would that be?

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was going 110mph today and I went from 4th gear @5k-ish rpm into 5th gear, and it didn’t even allow me to put it in the tunnel. It was never like this before. Could it be clutch? Even before this install, I can’t shift over 5k anymore. What can be loose?

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I installed that insert probably 6 years ago in my 2017 GT. The trans noise was horrible after installing it, just a constant whine. Can't say I noticed any vibration, but I only left in for about 50 miles and then pulled it out and in the trash it went, made driving the car miserable.

I now have a 2020 GT and I had the same weight you have. (My 2017 didn't have it.) I think that was added in 2018 maybe, just helps with vibration I assume. I installed a Barton shifter in my 2020 a few weeks ago and had to remove it since I wanted to trans mount the shifter. Yes, noise increased some, but I am sure that was mostly due to the shifter, I doubt the removal of the weight had much to do with it. Still no where near as bad as that damn insert!

My guess is you will notice no difference if you remove that weight, the insert is the problem, at least it was in my experience.

Doug

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I installed the shifter bushing. Significant increase in NVH. The first time my wife rode in the car afterward she asked "what have you done to the car" within a couple of blocks.

I added some pipe insulation between the mount and the chassis. May have helped, but wasn't enough, so I uninstalled it and went back to the stock bracket.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if folks are installing it backwards?

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
The shifter bushing should increase nvh about 1% when installed correctly. It still holds the shifter pretty loosely and that’s why it did not 100% fix my 2-3 lockout above 7krpm. Make sure it’s not moving when you tighten the bolts as there is some side to side play there.
Sponsored