Sponsored

Steeda rattle/clunking after install

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Whoaaaaa, the dealer told you your warranty was void due to aftermarket struts??!?! What struts did you have on there? I am thinking the dealer did you wrong. I have not really heard that modding Mustangs, especially with just struts, voids the warranty...maybe massive power upgrades, but a strut? My strut mount (if true) went bad at 4500 Miles.
They can't void your entire warranty for a single mod, they can not cover specific components if there is a reasonable argument modified components affect it. In this case, the strut mount went bad and I had struts, springs, and camber plates so they're obviously not going to cover the strut mount.
Sponsored

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
They can't void your entire warranty for a single mod, they can not cover specific components if there is a reasonable argument modified components affect it. In this case, the strut mount went bad and I had struts, springs, and camber plates so they're obviously not going to cover the strut mount.
Well sure, not the entire warranty, but that's not what I said either, just that the warranty relevant to your part failure was not applicable due to aftermarket struts is not appropriate IMO. Unless there's other details there. As much as guys mod their Mustangs, this kind of action by the dealer/Ford is crap. But, maybe I'm wrong. I mean, I've modded many Mustangs a lot over the years, but then, I've had very few times where I need warranty work too. Sorry to hear they shorted you. At least strut mounts are cheap and easy to fix.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Okay, I got a good update from another Ford dealership, in their parts department. Other than I confirmed my first dealer completely lied to me about parts availability, I want to post something that you all will care about than me just venting. Though I may vent some more.

At any rate, located in Northern Virginia, my parts guy tells me he's sold an unusual number of strut mounts for 2015-2019 Mustangs. There is, in fact, and new part coming online too, but is not available. That new part number is: JR3Z-3A197-C (for non Magnaride car). The original part is available, but seemingly problematic. I have a PP1 car, and the strut mount is apparently the same as the Ford Performance upgrade kit, so no joy there if I'm to truly upgrade and fix the issue. Long story short, keep and eye (in this case ear) out for front end noises and those strut mounts.

It does not go unnoted that there is no TSB, no string of complaints on "safercar.gov", nor do I see a trend here or other e-bulletin boards. I am confused, but more needed to get at the cause, so.

I remember the new 2005+ Mustangs had at TSB about strut thumping noises. Ford resolved that sooner than this, IF this is a strut issue.

I will do one or both, get a second opinion with another dealer since it is a warranty item, or just change out the driver's strut mount to diagnose the issue. I'll keep folks posted, of course.
I have magneride, so probably not relevant for me. Torquing the bolts to 75 ft-lbs, seems to have at least reduced the noise. I didn't hear any small clunks, though I still have some odd suspension noises. Time to find a place to clock the bushings...

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Let me know if I can help assist with getting your issue taken care of - please shoot me your info at [email protected]

TJ
Tim,
What is the spring isolator, you mentioned earlier in this thread? MIne did not come with anything that I would not have to completely disassemble my strut to install!

Thanks,
Jerry

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Tim,
What is the spring isolator, you mentioned earlier in this thread? MIne did not come with anything that I would not have to completely disassemble my strut to install!

Thanks,
Jerry
Little rubber seat your springs sit in. The stock ones should be fine, but some are apparently having issues.

Sponsored

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Little rubber seat your springs sit in. The stock ones should be fine, but some are apparently having issues.
That's what I thought, but a few of the posts made it seem like it didn't require removal of the spring !

Thanks!

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
That's what I thought, but a few of the posts made it seem like it didn't require removal of the spring !

Thanks!
Jerry, pm your contact info and i will go over the build with you for corrective action.
Thank you,

Mike D

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That's just the Steeda parts themselves, it's just how they are. Don't worry about it and just go on about your day.

Unless you see obvious signs of mis-installation or mis-alingment with them, they won't cause any issues.
Not true. My rattle issues were due to a lack of quality control. Namely, a loose lower control arm bolt and both front toe adjusters having loose retainer nuts. The Steeda products are great and doing the job they were made to do.
Sponsored