Sponsored

Steeda rattle/clunking after install

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Any special procedure to tightening it in a way that keeps the tube from just spinning? I used an air ratchet, and hit it until the strut started to turn. This was pretty much exactly what CJ Pony Parts did in their video.
Excessive spinning of the damper shaft could score the inside of the tube,which will cause knock back noise over bumps if damaged.
That's why Steeda sells this tool to properly torque the top strut shaft nut.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Strut-Nut-Socket--21mm_p_15663.html

Steeda Tech
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Excessive spinning of the damper shaft could score the inside of the tube,which will cause knock back noise over bumps if damaged.
That's why Steeda sells this tool to properly torque the top strut shaft nut.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Strut-Nut-Socket--21mm_p_15663.html

Steeda Tech
If it damaged from that small amount of turning, I would say Ford didn't design a quality part. I wish this tool was recommended on the install instructions. No offense to you guys, but your instructions are very vague. I will order the socket and try to torque properly without removing from the car. Hopefully it just needs torqued to spec. If that is damaged, I would be out a lot of money on new dampers. Thanks for the tips.

Here is all the instructions say in regards to the fronts:
"Using a coil spring compressor, compress the front spring until there is no tension on the upper strut mount. Once the spring is safely secured, remove the nut holding down the upper strut mount. Then, separate the strut from the spring and the upper strut mount. Carefully release the stock spring, and compress the new Steeda front spring When putting the assembly back together, the larger diameter (ID/opening) of the spring should be upward and each pigtail should be against the spring stop. It doesn’t matter which way the logos are facing. See picture for more information. Replace the strut nut, and repeat the process for the other front strut."

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Just confirmed Bullitt Magneride is 22 mm
Steeda Tech

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
In my case, it was the spring isolators. Those covers that go over the springs themselves. It's important to have them oriented properly. I can't recall now exactly how I had them wrong initially. The guy on here from Steeda is very cool and will help you out. He works for Steeda.
This is my problem as well. I have Steeda progressive springs and non-adjustable shocks and struts. On good roads the ride is smooth and right, but certain roads, there's a rattle that makes you feel as if there's a loose fitting or connection. Is it possible for Steeda tech to provide a checklist I can give to my installer to go over in order to specifically identify what needs to be checked to solve this problem?

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My clunking went away after I went with different sway bars and adjustable end links. I don't think it had anything to do with the sway bars but probably more to do with the factory end links.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
My clunking went away after I went with different sway bars and adjustable end links. I don't think it had anything to do with the sway bars but probably more to do with the factory end links.
I replaced my front end links with the spring install.

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my front end links with the spring install.
I posted my own thread. Should've been under "Issues, TSBs, Recall" section, but then I saw this thread.

I have a metallic rattling in my front left quarter. Ford service says it is a bad strut mount. I have a video of a loose and rattling steering linkage, but they say that's apparently normal (really??). They are going to replace the mount and whole strut assembly though, and tell me the parts are out of stock nationally...whatever the hell that means. I found Ford strut mounts available on more than one site. I am going to say your Steeda parts have nothing to do with it, perhaps. I did nothing but change the tire/wheels. My car is a 2018 GT PP1 built in May 2018. I have 4500 miles on it when the noise started...and getting worse.

I am not impressed with the dealer service I'm using, but I am still in the middle of the remedy. I'll let you guys know the final solution...if I ever really know.

Ford really pisses me off sometimes!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I posted my own thread. Should've been under "Issues, TSBs, Recall" section, but then I saw this thread.

I have a metallic rattling in my front left quarter. Ford service says it is a bad strut mount. I have a video of a loose and rattling steering linkage, but they say that's apparently normal (really??). They are going to replace the mount and whole strut assembly though, and tell me the parts are out of stock nationally...whatever the hell that means. I found Ford strut mounts available on more than one site. I am going to say your Steeda parts have nothing to do with it, perhaps. I did nothing but change the tire/wheels. My car is a 2018 GT PP1 built in May 2018. I have 4500 miles on it when the noise started...and getting worse.

I am not impressed with the dealer service I'm using, but I am still in the middle of the remedy. I'll let you guys know the final solution...if I ever really know.

Ford really pisses me off sometimes!
Not sure if I would believe your service people. You should ask what part they are actually referring to. The lower mounting point of the strut is just two big bolts, and the top part is just 3 bolts. The only way I could see these parts being an issue, is if they were physically damages or the bolts were stripped. The linkage in the front, however, is quite weak and prone to failure. My driver side front end link was very bent. That was from just a couple thousand miles of normal street driving.

As for my little clunk, I finally received the Steeda tool to tighten the top bolt. I didn't really get much movement. I am wondering if the bolt on my one side was slightly above 75 ft-lb. I also tightened with the car on the ground, so I hope that wasn't incorrect. I haven't had a chance to test drive after, but will update if that fixes the issue. If not, I may loosen and retorque to exactly 75 ft-lb to see if that changes anything.

Sponsored

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if I would believe your service people. You should ask what part they are actually referring to. The lower mounting point of the strut is just two big bolts, and the top part is just 3 bolts. The only way I could see these parts being an issue, is if they were physically damages or the bolts were stripped. The linkage in the front, however, is quite weak and prone to failure. My driver side front end link was very bent. That was from just a couple thousand miles of normal street driving.

As for my little clunk, I finally received the Steeda tool to tighten the top bolt. I didn't really get much movement. I am wondering if the bolt on my one side was slightly above 75 ft-lb. I also tightened with the car on the ground, so I hope that wasn't incorrect. I haven't had a chance to test drive after, but will update if that fixes the issue. If not, I may loosen and retorque to exactly 75 ft-lb to see if that changes anything.
True, I do not believe them. They said the strut mount failed. Today they said it is a national back log for Mustang (I presume PP1) strut assemblies. When I said, "But you told me only the strut mount is bad, just replace the strut mount" They said, "that's on national on national back order too." They added they don't know if it'll be days, weeks, or months. To which I replied, "then how did I buy a strut mount (for PP1) from a Ford dealer last night (for $15) and it'll be at my home this weekend?" The manager said, dealers don't sell to other dealers. True or not...What a joke!!

I will look to other Ford service shops to corroborate their claims. God help them if they're wrong. I am a "letter writer"...and I will write FoMoCo a letter and cc the dealer. I do want to have all my facts right first. This is even the dealer where I bought the car too. To send away a customer car with a bad strut, and all you have to do is get a strut mount and install it? Really? Even IF, they are correct and no strut assemblies are available, they refused to do the proper fix which is to replace the part they can get.

Last edited:

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True, I do not believe them. They said the strut mount failed. Today they said it is a national back log for Mustang (I presume PP1) strut assemblies. When I said, "But you told me only the strut mount is bad, just replace the strut mount" They said, "that's on national on national back order too." They added they don't know if it'll be days, weeks, or months. To which I replied, "then how did I buy a strut mount (for PP1) from a Ford dealer last night (for $15) and it'll be at my home this weekend?" The manager said, dealers don't sell to other dealers. True or not...What a joke!!

I will look to other Ford service shops to corroborate their claims. God help them if they're wrong. I am a "letter writer"...and I will write FoMoCo a letter and cc the dealer. I do want to have all my facts right first. This is even the dealer where I bought the car too. To send away a customer car with a bad strut, and all you have to do is get a strut mount and install it? Really? Even IF, they are correct and no strut assemblies are available, they refused to do the proper fix which is to replace the part they can get.

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I got a good update from another Ford dealership, in their parts department. Other than I confirmed my first dealer completely lied to me about parts availability, I want to post something that you all will care about than me just venting. Though I may vent some more.

At any rate, located in Northern Virginia, my parts guy tells me he's sold an unusual number of strut mounts for 2015-2019 Mustangs. There is, in fact, and new part coming online too, but is not available. That new part number is: JR3Z-3A197-C (for non Magnaride car). The original part is available, but seemingly problematic. I have a PP1 car, and the strut mount is apparently the same as the Ford Performance upgrade kit, so no joy there if I'm to truly upgrade and fix the issue. Long story short, keep and eye (in this case ear) out for front end noises and those strut mounts.

It does not go unnoted that there is no TSB, no string of complaints on "safercar.gov", nor do I see a trend here or other e-bulletin boards. I am confused, but more needed to get at the cause, so.

I remember the new 2005+ Mustangs had at TSB about strut thumping noises. Ford resolved that sooner than this, IF this is a strut issue.

I will do one or both, get a second opinion with another dealer since it is a warranty item, or just change out the driver's strut mount to diagnose the issue. I'll keep folks posted, of course.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
One of my strut mounts went bad within the first 15k on my car iirc, wasn't covered under warranty due to my aftermarket suspension components of course.

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One of my strut mounts went bad within the first 15k on my car iirc, wasn't covered under warranty due to my aftermarket suspension components of course.
Whoaaaaa, the dealer told you your warranty was void due to aftermarket struts??!?! What struts did you have on there? I am thinking the dealer did you wrong. I have not really heard that modding Mustangs, especially with just struts, voids the warranty...maybe massive power upgrades, but a strut? My strut mount (if true) went bad at 4500 Miles.
Sponsored